• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Roxio Created Video

foreverwhiteroses

Question

I'm attempting to learn 7.5 and want to create a movie. Using my Canon camera, I shot some video in .AVI format. Using VideoWave, I created a storyline, chose "Holiday" theme and the "Christmas" subtheme, and then chose Video File for the destination of the created movie. I then chose "Playback on this Computer" for the Purpose and "Medium" for the Quality, both being the default choices of Roxio's. Roxio created an .MPG file and placed it in My Videos. My computer is set with Windows Media Player as the default mpg player. HOWEVER, when I attempt to play back the file in Media Player, only the audio part of the file plays. There's no video. Same thing happens in Real Player. HOWEVER, when I try to open the file in Windows Movie Maker, IT CRASHES MOVIE MAKER. What's going on? What's the fix? Any and all help appreciated. Thanks

12 answers to this question

For one thing, Windows media Player does NOT have the correct "Codecs" to play the video MPG file that Roxio placed in your "My Videos" folder. Just right clicking on the Roxio placed file and choosing the option "Open With" should get a fast responce of just what program or Roxio that will play or not play the video.

Redwagon.

What does it mean to "Activate" codecs????

Andy W.

I can only assume it means that any codecs that you purchased, as opposed to getting free, need to be activated to work. I've only purchased 1 years ago and it did have to be activated but all the codecs on my system were either included in the software I installed or installed separately by me via freeware.

Have had a similar problem with ECDC 6 Platinum using DVD builder.

Can import an mpg file into the screening room, but any attempt to preview (i.e. play) the clip results in the error message 'error starting the movie'.

When I attempt to play the same files from hard disc with Windows Media Player, like you, I only get audio ... no video.

However I have no problem playing dvd's with Windows Media Player.

I have XP professional plus SP2, but am reluctant to remove SP2 as it seems to be the only way that I can get Windows Media Player to Play DVDs.

Sorry this isnt much help - just a note from a fellow sufferer!

I've had the same problem trying to do the same thing you are.

1. Be sure you have all the updated codecs for WMP. DivXPlayer is vital. Even after these are installed, they may not work until you have used ("activate") them (true for Sonic). Then they will work with WMP. (Another one for the "Weird But True" department.)

2. I needed to go back and render in "highest" quality. I'm not sure if that puts it in a different format or not, but it does take up twice the HD space, so if space is an issue, that's another reason to dislike the various Roxio shortcuts that they seem to take. But it worked for me. If it didn't for you, then check, and activate your codecs.

I agree that the video product to be played on a compute must be compatible with WMP.

Well to start, try creating the video file again and see what happens.

You may also want to try a different qualityor format to see if you can narrow it down to only happening under a specific setting or settings.

If you get the same result, we may need to look at the source material.

Thanks for your response.... Yes, I have recreated the video file and the same thing happens... And I also have tried different quality levels and formats and SOME work in the other players and some don't. The main point has to do with the useability of Roxio 7.5. If I cannot use their default version for playback in my own computer, and I have to create and recreate with different formats to make sure I'm using one that is compatiable, then what's the point? I bot Roxio thinking I'd get more and better editing options for video among other reasons..... This sure isn't encouraging me to use it....

For one thing, Windows media Player does NOT have the correct "Codecs" to play the video MPG file that Roxio placed in your "My Videos" folder. Just right clicking on the Roxio placed file and choosing the option "Open With" should get a fast responce of just what program or Roxio that will play or not play the video.

Redwagon.

That's what I thought......but what good is Roxio if the default codec is not compatible with the other players? Is there a way to get those codecs loaded into Real Player, Movie Maker and Media Player????

Thanks for the tip on right clicking..... that should be interesting to discover what shows up......

I've had the same problem trying to do the same thing you are.

1. Be sure you have all the updated codecs for WMP. DivXPlayer is vital. Even after these are installed, they may not work until you have used ("activate") them (true for Sonic). Then they will work with WMP. (Another one for the "Weird But True" department.)

2. I needed to go back and render in "highest" quality. I'm not sure if that puts it in a different format or not, but it does take up twice the HD space, so if space is an issue, that's another reason to dislike the various Roxio shortcuts that they seem to take. But it worked for me. If it didn't for you, then check, and activate your codecs.

I agree that the video product to be played on a compute must be compatible with WMP.

The OP has not been back to the forums since the end of January, but thanks for your solution. It may help other folks.

Redwagon.

Redwagon, I tried right clicking and, as I suspected, it showed both Real Player and Media Player (and also, strangely, ITunes and also, strangely, no Roxio player) as ways to play the Roxio created mpg. Clarifying, the file opens in both players and it runs, but there is no picture, just the audio. This is not fun.... it sure is disappointing to have chosen this Roxio media bundle only to have it not work in its default mode on my pc. Incidentally, my computer is a 2 month old Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop with XP, not Media Center XP, totally up to date with all updates....

Redwagon, I tried right clicking and, as I suspected, it showed both Real Player and Media Player (and also, strangely, ITunes and also, strangely, no Roxio player) as ways to play the Roxio created mpg. Clarifying, the file opens in both players and it runs, but there is no picture, just the audio. This is not fun.... it sure is disappointing to have chosen this Roxio media bundle only to have it not work in its default mode on my pc. Incidentally, my computer is a 2 month old Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop with XP, not Media Center XP, totally up to date with all updates....

Incidentally, I just tried playing back the Roxio created (using "Guided edit in StoryBuilder") mpg file in Roxio CinePlayer and THE SAME THING HAPPENS: the audio part plays but the video does not appear! How strange is that?

I'm attempting to learn 7.5 and want to create a movie. Using my Canon camera, I shot some video in .AVI format. Using VideoWave, I created a storyline, chose "Holiday" theme and the "Christmas" subtheme, and then chose Video File for the destination of the created movie. I then chose "Playback on this Computer" for the Purpose and "Medium" for the Quality, both being the default choices of Roxio's. Roxio created an .MPG file and placed it in My Videos. My computer is set with Windows Media Player as the default mpg player. HOWEVER, when I attempt to play back the file in Media Player, only the audio part of the file plays. There's no video. Same thing happens in Real Player. HOWEVER, when I try to open the file in Windows Movie Maker, IT CRASHES MOVIE MAKER. What's going on? What's the fix? Any and all help appreciated. Thanks

Well to start, try creating the video file again and see what happens.

You may also want to try a different qualityor format to see if you can narrow it down to only happening under a specific setting or settings.

If you get the same result, we may need to look at the source material.

EEK! Dont uninstall/reinstall windows for one program! Try using Divx http://go.divx.com/player to play the files. Download the player and any accessory codec packs they have, that'll usually fix the problem.

Also try D/Ling the GSpot information appliance, open your video in there, it will tell you what codec the file was encoded with and if it's on your pc.

Archived