Can You Do A Complete Os And Programs Backup?

andyloc

Question

5 answers to this question

I don't really think that the backup market is the market they are trying to draw. It would make no difference to me whether or not it was eliminated from the suite. I use Ghost, and understand that Acronis is excellent too.

I hope the do care about there market as they do sell it as a stand alone. There are quite a few different backup software out there, and BUMP is one of the best for ease of use and usability. I have tried quite a few of them and had problems with many of them. I have Ghost and tried the new Norton Save and Restore. Save and Restore which seems to be based on Ghost caused me all kinds of problems with burning to DVD, none of which I had with Ghost. Another I have had problems with burning issues with, with multiple drives is EMC (formerly Dantz) Retrospect. I keep triying with the hopes that it will work as it has features that BUMP currently doesn't have, but have problems with every release. Usually the same type of problems.

I currently use Ghost and BUMP, as I don't want to really on one and have some kind of problem. Each has features I like and combine woul probably be the perfect backup software.

I also would like to boot from CD with Backup MyPC. Any help in using CD rather than floppies would be appreciated.

No not like Ghost. I think the Backup My PC creates bootable floppies and the data is on the CDs. I haven't actually gone through the whole process so maybe someone can verify this.

I also would like to boot from CD with Backup MyPC. Any help in using CD rather than floppies would be appreciated.

I am not 100% sure, as fortunately I have not had to do a full restore, you can boot from the floppies and restore to a new hard drive as long as you have a winXP install disk that matches your backup. I have tried just to boot from the the my DVD backup and it will not boot. If you put the disk in with autostart, it will ask whether you want to do a restore. As to why they have not set this up to be able to do this from a bootable CD/DVD, I don't know.

Ghost and other backup software either give you an ISO to create a bootable disk, or create an ISO to create a bootable disk each time you back up.

I think this is something they will have to change soon or lose some of the market share they have for backup software as more and more PC's are coming without floppies.

I am not 100% sure, as fortunately I have not had to do a full restore, you can boot from the floppies and restore to a new hard drive as long as you have a winXP install disk that matches your backup. I have tried just to boot from the the my DVD backup and it will not boot. If you put the disk in with autostart, it will ask whether you want to do a restore. As to why they have not set this up to be able to do this from a bootable CD/DVD, I don't know.

Ghost and other backup software either give you an ISO to create a bootable disk, or create an ISO to create a bootable disk each time you back up.

I think this is something they will have to change soon or lose some of the market share they have for backup software as more and more PC's are coming without floppies.

I don't really think that the backup market is the market they are trying to draw. It would make no difference to me whether or not it was eliminated from the suite. I use Ghost, and understand that Acronis is excellent too.

Archived