• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Thaichong

How To Create An Iso From A Sacd

Question

Hi Brendon, sorry I have to put my problem here cos' I couldn't find "add new forum". This is my first time here. I was reading your threads somewhere that you are also owner of Roxio DE10.3. My issue is I have a SACD (Carole King - Tapestry) which I wanted to play on my Audiogate DS DAC 100. I have about 10 SACDs however there were 2 which I cannot play on my Audiogate dac. It won't read! And that is beside the point. The point I wanted to make is understanding iso file. There were many topics on ISO and half the time I just couldn't understand how does one actually make iso file. Can I create an iso file and save it to my hard drive? Or do I need to use a different software to extract iso file? Can Roxio Creator do this? Hope that it is not confusing you as I don't know where to start from. Thank you,. My apology if I have strayed into a wrong area. Or if anyone reading this can guide me.

11 answers to this question

Hello Thaichong.

I've split your question off from the topic where you put it. Later on it should probably go into a "How To" forum, but we can fix that later.

I.S.O. is the International Standards Organization. They made the rules for how optical discs should be structured. A sector-by-sector copy of a data disc is called an ISO, and can be stored on a hard drive or used to make a copy of the disc.

It seems you can only make ISOs of discs where the data are held in files, such as data discs and Video-DVD. You can make images of discs where the data are streamed such as Audio-CDs and SACDs, but those have to be a special format and aren't ISOs [e.g. CUE/BIN, C2D, CCD/IMG, GI etc]

Most Roxio software can make disc images of Audio CDs, but I don't know if they can handle SACDs. The format is rare, and I've never had one myself.

Perhaps our audio Experts can assist here?

Regards,

Brendon

Hi Brendon, Thaichong. I really had never looked at what an SACD was, and didn't realize that there were different "flavors" of them. The "Hybrid" variety has a standard Audio CD layer that can be played by most CD players, as well as a second layer that appears to be more like a DVD which contains more information for more channels if it's played on an SACD player.

The other two "flavors" are basically single and dual layer DVD discs with certain data properties, and they are not playable on a standard CD player nor in a computer.

I think I can say without equivocation (though I started the sentence with, "I think") that no Roxio products support the copying of the Hybrid version of SACD, since I don't know of any SACD blank recordable discs (multi-layer with one layer being a CD format, the second layer being a DVD format). If it reads the Audio layer properly, then it's possible it could be copied as an Audio CD.

For the other two types of SACD, it appears there is copy protection in place that would make duplicating them difficult if not impossible.

So, it might be possible to copy the standard Audio layer of a Hybrid SACD, but that's all, which will leave you with a "standard" CD.

Hi Brendon and d-deweywright thank you both for the quick response. Ok, I think you both have provided me an answer to my tormented brain cells. Yes, quote "they are not playable on a standard CD player nor in a computer." The cover sticker mentioned that 'Plays Only On SACD Players'. But I saw on youtube that this guy demonstrated on how he was able to extract SACD ISO file to dsf www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QfhDOylzE4. My only issue is that how did he get those 4 files on to his computer? Wrote to him but he never responded. I thought Roxio was capable of doing this trick (LOL). Obviously, it wasn't meant to be that straight forward. Nevermind, at least I have tried.

If the files show up as actual "files" when the disc is inserted into the drive of a PC, they can probably be copied off. I won't be able to look at that video till later. And if there is any sort of Copy Protection scheme in play, then Roxio products will not circumvent them.

There is copy protection as I plonked the disc into the drive, the message prompted it is copy protected. I even tried it with DVD Audio and got the same message.

See Wikipedia's explanation of SACD. It might be possible to strip a copy of the audio, but it will be the normal 2 channel (stereo) sound, not the multichannel sound.

See Wikipedia's explanation of SACD. It might be possible to strip a copy of the audio, but it will be the normal 2 channel (stereo) sound, not the multichannel sound.

Much as I suggested in paragraphs 3 and 5 of Post #3 above. :)

Edited by d_deweywright

I know this thread has been around for a few months but figure I'd reply with an answer. It is possible to extract the iso off SACD discs for storage and playback on your pc. You can have the entire disc as an iso with multichannel and stereo tracks plus you can rip the individual DST (DSD) tracks. I playback sacd iso's and tracks using Foobar with the sacd plugin. Ripping to iso is the tricky part as SACD discs aren't playable yet in pc's disc drives. To save the iso and tracks requires a PS3 (playstation) with sacd drive and only up to a certain firmware works. There is someone working on modifying a drive so it can be done with a pc, but as far as I know this isn't available yet. Usually the way to get the iso now is to have the correct PS3 or find others who will share their rips. It's too bad it's so hard as many of these discs are out of print and very expensive meaning you can't replace them or back them up.

Usually the way to get the iso now is to have the correct PS3 or find others who will share their rips.

That would be illegal and these folks (Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) take it seriously!