Sign in to follow this  
tdotphil

.dv files are greyed out.

Question

I have .dv files on my harddrive in my toasted but thedy are greyed out and I can't burn them. Any thoughts as to how I could access them? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

5 answers to this question

Can you give us a step by step on what you try to do when using with Toast? Also, do those DV files play in Quicktime? Did they come directly from a DV camera?

John, Sorry for the tardy reply.

First I download my material via firewire from my mini dv player. It is directed to go to my external hard drive. It goes there as a .dv file or dv movie, same thing.

If I go file>open and try get them, that's when they are greyed out.

If I go to the hard drive via my desktop icon they are not greyed out. BUT. when I drag them to Toast (onto the video page, as instructed) I hit the record button and I get the following error message.

"Interface Error -50 The connection is not stable."

Then I get a message saying

Drive reported an error

-Sence Key=illegal request

-Sence code=0X300X05

cannot write medium-incompatable format

Before I upgraded to OSX10.4.8 I had no problems.

I've upgraded to Toast 7. I've changed all the connections. I've Zapped the PRAM. I've changed which hard drive the material origantes from. I've tried different brands of DVD.

Nothing helps.

It used to be so simple.

Can you help?

Here are my computer specs.

Machine Name: PowerBook G4

Machine Model: PowerBook3,4

CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.1)

Number Of CPUs: 1

CPU Speed: 667 MHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB

L3 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB

Memory: 768 MB

Bus Speed: 133 MHz

Boot ROM Version: 4.3.7f3

Any suggestions will be very appreciated.

Phil

The next message says

"Couldn't set up the track for writing"

1) Do a "Get Info" on the external hard drive and check the permisisons. Make sure you are set as the owner and that you can read and write, choose to apply those permissions to enclosed items.

2) If that doesnt work, for a test copy one of the DV files to your boot drive and then try to select it from there.

1) Do a "Get Info" on the external hard drive and check the permisisons. Make sure you are set as the owner and that you can read and write, choose to apply those permissions to enclosed items.

2) If that doesnt work, for a test copy one of the DV files to your boot drive and then try to select it from there.

Permissions are ok and when I select from my boot drive, the same thing happens. I get "Connections are not stable" message.

Permissions are ok and when I select from my boot drive, the same thing happens. I get "Connections are not stable" message.

Finally figured it out. My external burner was shot. Got a repair and now all is well.

scheech!