all my pics are saved to a sony cd-rw disc. when i try to copy this cd using roxio disc copier, getting message: content no accessable. alterantively, i was able to make a copy from music cd (cd-r) with no problem. another words, my cd drive works fine, but copy cd with my photos . any idea where could be the problem? thanks a lot. lenny m.

all my pics are saved to a sony cd-rw disc. when i try to copy this cd using roxio disc copier, getting message: content no accessable. alterantively, i was able to make a copy from music cd (cd-r) with no problem. another words, my cd drive works fine, but copy cd with my photos . any idea where could be the problem? thanks a lot. lenny m.

CD-RW is a very temporary way to store things - it can be very useful for testing purposes, since you can erase the entire disc and reuse it, but other than that, its chief virtue is the ability to lose all data permantly.

A commercial disc has the pits and lands created by physically pressing them into the metal.

A CD-R has the pits and lands set by the laser buring them into a dye - not as permanant as a commercially presed CD, but close.

A CD-RW has the pits and lands set by the laser melting and recrystalizeing an aluminum alloy, which promptly starts to de-crystalize, taking all the data with it.

If the data is still recoverable, try one of the recovery programs, such as cdroller (www.cdroller.com) or ISOBuster (www.isobuster.com) - both have impressive testimonials on their websites and in the Roxio boards. Both now have "trial" versions that let you see if anything can be recovered before you have to pay.

(written in memory of the 80% of the data on the DirectCD CD-RW tha wasn't also on the Hard Drive, and was permanantly lost)

Lynn

Hi Lynn,

as i understand you suggest to keep everything on my hd. but where to get so much room for? what if need to make a copy from my cd and send it somebody else to view pics? i guess, copy everything to a hd and then copy to a blank cd. but this is not how roxio cd copier designed.. i want to see roxio software working without creating any problems. if there are, i would love to get help from tech support (just my thoughts). anyway, thank you for looking into my problem and trying to help me out. it is very nice of you, really is. lenny m.

Hi Lenny,

The problem is NOT what you wrote the files ON, but what you wrote them WITH.

There are two CD writing methods used by ECDC:

1) is a temporary, packet-writing method. Here you format a CD with the Direct CD program, and can drag and drop files onto the CD with Windows Explorer.

2) uses the CD Creator program, and writes either a bunch of files or a whole disc in one "session" to an unformatted disc.

Method 1 makes "special" discs that nothing else can copy, and precious-little else can read.

Method 2 makes standard CDROM disca that anything can copy or read.

Disc Copier can't copy the special discs method 1 uses. You need to read them all back onto your hard drive and then make a standard CDROM with CD Creator. Disc copier will handle those happily if you need more than one copy.

Lynn is correct when she mentions that CDRWs shed data like a tree sheds leaves, but that's a whole 'nother problem and is not why CD Copier won't copy your discs.

Hi Lenny,

The problem is NOT what you wrote the files ON, but what you wrote them WITH.

There are two CD writing methods used by ECDC:

1) is a temporary, packet-writing method. Here you format a CD with the Direct CD program, and can drag and drop files onto the CD with Windows Explorer.

2) uses the CD Creator program, and writes either a bunch of files or a whole disc in one "session" to an unformatted disc.

Method 1 makes "special" discs that nothing else can copy, and precious-little else can read.

Method 2 makes standard CDROM disca that anything can copy or read.

Disc Copier can't copy the special discs method 1 uses. You need to read them all back onto your hard drive and then make a standard CDROM with CD Creator. Disc copier will handle those happily if you need more than one copy.

Lynn is correct when she mentions that CDRWs shed data like a tree sheds leaves, but that's a whole 'nother problem and is not why CD Copier won't copy your discs.

Halliluya, i made it with your (both Brendon and Lynn) help: made a copy of my origingal cd. so, if got you right, the cd media is no good at all, unless you are looking for a disater. what to use insted, then (hd is not an option)? i appreciate it very much for the help you provided on my behalf. lenny m.

Halliluya, i made it with your (both Brendon and Lynn) help: made a copy of my origingal cd. so, if got you right, the cd media is no good at all, unless you are looking for a disater. what to use insted, then (hd is not an option)? i appreciate it very much for the help you provided on my behalf. lenny m.

Nope, you've still missed the point. CD-R (write once) media is considered a reasonably good choice for storing data for fairly long term. CD-RW (erasable) media is not considered good for long term storage. And using Direct CD (packet writing) is not considered a good way to write to either media.

But, it sounds like you were able to make a standard Data CD project of the files from your Direct CD written files. This should be good for many years, assuming you don't leave it in the sun, or on a radiator, or scratch it badly... Hard drives fail too. So they can't be considered "permanent".

Actually, one of the best things you can do is actually make a paper print of your photos onto good quality photo paper. Even if you put those in a shoebox, you'll still have a physical copy of them to look at and enjoy for a long time. They're also much easier to pull out and share around a table with friends and family.

Hope that helps!

Edited by d_deweywright

If you want to KEEP the data, NEVER format the disc, and NEVER use CD-RW.

If you have gotten some of your files back after making either of those mistakes (or both combined), then re-copy it to CD-R with DataProject (or other sessions-based program).

Then go on to your next disc, and next, until ALL of them have been transferred to CD-R media with a Sessions-based program.

If you have formatted CD-Rs after that, you can carefully store them in the trashcan. If you have formatted CD-RWs after that, you can erse them and re-use for testing until they give out (it's variable how many times they can be reused, but generally, fewer than the mfgr claims).

The reason for copying the data back to the Hard Drive, is that's the only way it can be read off of the Packet-Writing. Once you have it on CD-Rs, it's almost as stable as if you have it on a commercially pressed CD (like you buy in a CD or software store).

Lynn

Guest mlpasley
, if got you right, the cd media is no good at all, unless you are looking for a disater. what to use insted, then (hd is not an option)? i appreciate it very much for the help you provided on my behalf. lenny m.

That's not exactly what they said. Here are the general recommendations:

1. Use CD - R instead of CD RW for greater reliability.

2. Copy those files to a CD - R using Creator Classic rather than Drag to Disk

3. Make a second copy of your CDs and store them at another location (or send them to a friend)

That's not exactly what they said. Here are the general recommendations:

1. Use CD - R instead of CD RW for greater reliability.

2. Copy those files to a CD - R using Creator Classic rather than Drag to Disk

3. Make a second copy of your CDs and store them at another location (or send them to a friend)

Er ... ml ... I'm sure you meant to say

2. Copy those files to a CD - R using DataProject rather than Drag to Disk

This is ECDC, not EMC.

Lynn

Er ... ml ... I'm sure you meant to say

2. Copy those files to a CD - R using DataProject rather than Drag to Disk

This is ECDC, not EMC.

Lynn

To be fastidiously accurate he would have said "CD Creator" rather than "Creator Classic" since a data project isn't a program, but who wants to be pedantic?

I'm sure the member now knows which program we're talking about. (happy smile)