D.Brown

Can't Install This Program

Question

I can't get this to install. I keep getting a msg about setup being interrurpted. I tried with firewall on and off and the same with Security Essentials. I tried running as Administrator and tried to install from the HD itself. I'm running Win 7 Pro on ASUS MB A88x Pro. I've included the log file. Please help.

LogFile 15-05-23 21-08.zip

12 answers to this question

D.Brown,

Your logfile virtualdrive64_140_install.log seems to indicate that part of the Microsoft Installscript software is not installed on your computer, and because of that the whole installation has rolled back with a 1603 error.

Property(S): DialogCaption = InstallShield for Windows Installer

Property(S): DisplayNameCustom = Custom

Property(S): DisplayNameMinimal = Minimal

Property(S): DisplayNameTypical = Typical

Property(S): ErrorDialog = SetupError

Property(S): INSTALLLEVEL = 100

Property(S): ISSCRIPT_VERSION_MISSING = The InstallScript engine is missing from this machine. If available, please run ISScript.msi, or contact your support personnel for further assistance.

This is Microsoft software, and isn't provided by Roxio with the Easy CD & DVD Burning installer.

Here is a link I found for downloading and installing the latest version of isscript.msi. This may help you.

Please let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Brendon

Thanks for the quick response. I went and installed the isscrpt.msi package and tried to install the easy program again. Still getting the same response and again I turned off the firewall, turned off the Security essentials, ran as administrator and even recopied the files to a folder on the HD and added the .msi package to that folder and still not getting the easy program to insatall. I've included the latest log file.

LogFile 15-05-24 06-37.zip

Thank you.

Your latest log still indicates that same problem with virtualdrive64_140, and the same sequence of events. The installer complains that "ISSCRIPT_VERSION_MISSING = The InstallScript engine is missing from this machine." and then reports a 1603 failure and rolls back the whole installation.

This one is still well out of my field. It's a Microsoft issue and I've never run across it before. However, I wonder: Did you actually install that downloaded MSI package?

When I re-read the first article I found, it seemed to be talking about replacing an MSI file that has gone missing from a software installation. It spoke of putting the downloaded file back in the folder it had gone missing from, and running the installer for your [Roxio] software again. When you "added the MSI file to that folder" is that what you did?

As far as I can see, that Installscript engine has to be already installed on your system before you run the Roxio installer. I found another article that tells you How to Install the Script Engine. Essentially you have to double-click the MSI file yourself, but the article tells you what to expect and how to do it.

Sorry that this is complicated, but it looks like you need a degree to master Microsoft's Installshield and I didn't make it like that.

Regards,

Brendon

I have already been to that link and followed the instructions, all 10 steps, exactly as they're written and after getting the msg that the install was successful I tried again to install the easy prg and again it failed. I even placed a copy in the folder I made on the HD and tried to run the install from the folder instead of the CD and again it failed.

HOWEVER since the problem seemed to be connected to the virtualdrive64_140 install I took a look at the file VD64Inst. When I tried toi run just that file I had an error called "1406. Could not write value to key.". On a hunch I hit the "Ignore" button and the same error msg popped up 2 more times wwith different key values showing and I hit "Ignore" each time and the prg finally finished installing. Now I can copy DVD's which was 1 reason I wanted the prg but another feature I was hoping to use appearently doesn't work. I had used the Windows built-in DVD maker prg and it copied a DVD for me but it didn't finalize the disc so I could play the DVD on my computer BUT I couldn't play it on a DVD player. I had originally bought the easy prg to try and finalize the DVD but when I tried to use the finalize disc feature it didn't work at all which I suspect may have to do with the virtualdrive64_140 file not being installed.

So the easy prg sort of works but not fully.

Edited by D.Brown

I'm sorry, I don't have any more ideas to get over that install problem.

As to the copying of your own unprotected DVDs, in an emergency I have used the free program ImgBurn [from Imgburn.com]

It's simple with that program to make an ISO image from the DVD, and then write the image back to a fresh DVD. Finalized, too.

Regards,

Brendon

It is not merely a matter of 'Finalizing a disc'...

Windows Explorer is only capable of making a Data Disc whereas DVD Players require DVD Movie disc, which must be Authored -_-

Also keep in mind that No RW disc can be finalized.

Using the Red Box version 'Copy Disc' will copy a non-commercial DVD Movie correctly but cannot make a DVD Movie from a source that is a Data Disc...

'Create DVDs' on the otherhand IS an Authoring program and will create properly authored DVD Movies. That is the one you want to be using ;)

It is not merely a matter of 'Finalizing a disc'...

Windows Explorer is only capable of making a Data Disc whereas DVD Players require DVD Movie disc, which must be Authored -_-

Then I misread the information about the "Make DVD" prg as it appeared that it could copy a DVD that would play on other DVD players.

Also keep in mind that No RW disc can be finalized.

I know. I"m using -R disc to make copies of the DVD I'm working wiith.

I'm sorry, I don't have any more ideas to get over that install problem.

Well as I stated above I have actually gotten the Easy prg to install by bypassing the VirtualDrive64_140 install.

Edited by D.Brown

Don't put your responses inside the quoted posts - it makes it almost impossible to follow the thread

Don't put your responses inside the quoted posts - it makes it almost impossible to follow the thread

The board software is misbehaving again Walt. The quoting system is going nuts!!

The board software is misbehaving again Walt. The quoting system is going nuts!!

I had not noticed any problem