michfarb

Chapter Problems - Split

I have tried 5 times to create chapters in MyDVD and as soon as I clicked on the Chapter heading in Project View, the software would hang. Nothing works and the only way to close the application was to go to the Task Manager and to close the task for this application. I found the user manual in PDF and followed exactly step by step as how to create chapters. My short movie in MPG format (8 min. and 30 sec.) was a test movie before I was going to take a long production movie from my grandkid's school project to edit and to create chapters with a menu buttons. I've seen many posting asking the specific information about steps as how the chapters were created from people having the same problems. I think let us not look for excuses for buggy software. I have very powerful desktop ASUS computer with 32 GB of ram, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz 64 bit, NVIDIA G-Force 650 1GB and my CPU was only at 14% busy with Roxio MyDVD processes. I couldn't even to preview my chapter menu. So what is going on with chapter creation? I think I was doing everything the way it was put in the manual.

Can't dismiss your PC as the problem just because you paid a lot for it :lol::D:lol:

The vast majority can create Chapters if they want to without any problems.

You posted in the NXT forum. That software was current from 9/12 to 8/13 and there have been 2 more versions since it went out of production - is that actually the one you are using?

Chapters are pretty simple and nothing in the way you create them can crash a computer! So let's assume your program has become corrupted and start there ;)

We will start with a proper repair and see what happens:

First thing to do is to turn off your Anti Virus, Firewalls, Registry Cleaners, etc.

Unplug your RGC Device and put it aside until you are completely finished.

Now insert your Roxio Disc.

Be sure you accept the offer to Check for Updates (this is for Roxio, not Windows)

When you reach the screen where Repair is offered, choose that!

When the Repair competes, turn your AV & Firewall back on and reboot.

Edited by Jim_Hardin
fix indents!

Jim, thank you much for your reply! Yes, I paid good money for my machine so I wouldn't have problems running Adobe Light Room 5.7 and Photoshop CS5. I am mostly in digital photography. Movie editing and production are something I am trying to get into a little. So, I bought Roxio Creator NXT pro 2 online download version 15.0.5.3 on 9/16/2014. It means I don't have installation CD. But I went to the Control Panel on my WIN 8.1 and navigate to Installed Programs window where the Roxio NXT 2 was listed. I double-clicked the listing and from there the Repair option was chosen. Unfortunately, after few seconds the error message came up telling me that the recourse installation file was not available on network and I should confirm my local path to RCPROD.msi. So I did but the file wasn't there anymore somehow. Very stupid of me, I guess the downloaded .EXE file for this software was deleted about few months ago while I was cleaning my C drive. Do you think I could get this file from Roxio again, considering I did pay for this software? Thanks again.

Michael.

Hi Jim! Well, I was NOT stupid after all. I backed up all my downloaded software to my outside drive before deleting them from my main computer. Now I have 3 Creator_NXT_Pro_2.EXE (Content, Part 1, Part2) original installation files and DOCX product key file. Should I uninstall the software completely and reinstall it from the scratch? Thanks!

Michael.

Just because your PC runs other software is absolutely NO assurance that the settings you are using will allow it run Video Editing software...

Are you going to use the NXT 2 Pro?

For best results I would recommend that you download and install install the Revo Uninstaller. Then run it in Moderate Mode to remove any traces of Roxio.

Do this First, Reboot and install Roxio.

What's wrong with Windows Uninstaller that comes with WIN 8.1? Why do I have to install another third party uninstaller? I guess you would recommend to upgrade to NXT 3 Pro. Do you think the next version of NXT is much better in terms of less troubles with running it?

Thanks!

I start to feel that Roxio Creator NXT video editors are way to sensitive and require that your computer must be free of anything what might effect the successful running of it. As a former Web Application developer, I remember that my applications should run regardless of any set-ups of the machine on which they installed otherwise it's definitely something wrong with the programming code of that application.

I'm done...

I tried to help you but you want to argue with everything and slander something you know nothing about... Best of luck!

michfarb, there's nothing "wrong" with the Windows uninstaller, but it works based on the uninstall Roxio provides, which winds up leaving traces behind. That's not uncommon with many products. The Revo uninstaller can be told to search for bits and pieces that aren't in the uninstall and do a "better" uninstall than simply using the Windows uninstall.

Have you tried either option for uninstalling/reinstalling? And what were your results?

Jim, your tolerance for something that could be true is very limited. If you tried to help me and you did I was very much appreciative and still do. I am not arguing, it's just first time I am having repeated problems with the software. As far as I understand you work for Roxio support and naturally you are trying to defend your employer. In addition, you have no idea what I know and what I don't so please do not insult me. Nobody knows everything including you too. As I said, I am former .NET ASP.NET and C# Web application developer so I know thing or two about IT industry and computer programming. I am going to write Roxio/Corel headquarter corporate office about this case and I will NOT buy anything from Roxio anymore. I am done here...

Jim, your tolerance for something that could be true is very limited. If you tried to help me and you did I was very much appreciative and still do. I am not arguing, it's just first time I am having repeated problems with the software. As far as I understand you work for Roxio support and naturally you are trying to defend your employer. In addition, you have no idea what I know and what I don't so please do not insult me. Nobody knows everything including you too. As I said, I am former .NET ASP.NET and C# Web application developer so I know thing or two about IT industry and computer programming. I am going to write Roxio/Corel headquarter corporate office about this case and I will NOT buy anything from Roxio anymore. I am done here...

Nobody on these boards works for Corel or Roxio (except for Rox-Ralf who usually only pops in for non-technical problems). We are all users of the software and just try to help each other. Your statement from an earlier post "applications should run regardless of any set-ups of the machine on which they installed otherwise it's definitely something wrong with the programming code of that application" is absolute nonsense.

The chapter feature works just fine if used correctly. You have not given much information on your problem so it is difficult to help you.

Well, my Adobe Light Room 5 has been working any time without any errors and freezes since I installed it. It looks like my NXT pro 2 has been corrupted somehow. So the only way to try again is reinstalling the software. I was advised to invest in another uninstaller Revo instead using Windows uninstall utility because the later one could leave some leftover files from previous installation. As far as I understand, when installing the same software all old leftover (.dll) files will be overwritten with new good ones.

What do you mean "if used correctly"? I have followed step by step all the instructions in PDF manual for NXT pro 2 again and again - 5 times and at the same exact point when I want to expand the Chapters" subdirectory, the program hangs. The first time I managed to view my Chapters menu and just after I was trying to replace the thumbnail image on the chapter button, NXT Pro 2 became frozen...

Please advise what else do you need to diagnose the issue. Can I use windows uninstall utility to remove the program and reinstall it again? Thank you for your help anyway.

There's no harm using the Windows uninstaller and reinstalling after that. If it still doesn't work, you still have the option of using a different uninstaller and trying again. Please, go ahead and try an uninstall/reinstall. Let us know if that fixes anything.

I've reinstalled NXT pro 2 after uninstalling the corrupted version. Finally, I could create chapters but I wanted to create "Play All" button in the main menu. So I created Unlinked button first with "Play All" label, next I wanted to link this button to the whole movie. According to the help file information, I went to the "View-->Settings". I suppose to click the Main button next here is word by word I should see in the settings Choose a movie (and chapter point) or a menu from the Link lists. To create a “play all” button, choose either All movies on menu or All movies in project from the Link list. There were no any places where I could see these options. Again I am stoked. What was the problem again? Please see my attached image of my screen. Thank you.

post-126340-0-74203600-1433431247_thumb.png

I've reinstalled NXT pro 2 after uninstalling the corrupted version. Finally, I could create chapters but I wanted to create "Play All" button in the main menu. So I created Unlinked button first with "Play All" label, next I wanted to link this button to the whole movie. According to the help file information, I went to the "View-->Settings". I suppose to click the Main button next here is word by word I should see in the settings Choose a movie (and chapter point) or a menu from the Link lists. To create a “play all” button, choose either All movies on menu or All movies in project from the Link list. There were no any places where I could see these options. Again I am stoked. What was the problem again? Please see my attached image of my screen. Thank you.

I copied this reply from another post (ggrussell):

Add your movie file to the main menu. This creates a default button.
Rename it "Play Movie"
Select it and copy to clipboard (Ctrl+C)
Move it slightly. Then Paste (Ctrl+V) the button back. Rename this button "Scenes" or "Select Scenes".
Right click on this second button and choose Edit Chapters.
Add your chapters and make sure the option at the bottom is checked to create a submenu.
You now have two buttons on the Main Menu. One button plays the entire video. The second takes the viewer to another menu where they can choose the chapters.
PS: Please note my post above is based on doing DVD projects.
Edited by malatekid

Michfarb, a quick update. I've been told that "Play All" buttons don't work with AVCHD or BD projects. I'm assuming that's a problem with MyDVD, not that the format doesn't allow it. So, you may be out of luck with that.

Thank you all for trying to help me. I have declined the project of making DVD movies from my grandkid's school as they want real professional DVD in High Definition AVCHD format with animated multiple chapters and scenes menus. Plus the "Play All" option should be included too. I guess Roxio Creator NXT Pro 2 MyDVD is not up to the task. I've found out that to create a professional high definition movie with all the bells and whistles menus in DVD, I should look for something like Sony Vegas Pro 13 video editing software, however, I just can't afford to spend $400 for something I might use once in a blue moon. Well, I better stick to my Digital Photography hobby. Thanks again!

michfarb,

you keep mentioning "Play All". That feature only is useful if you have multiple movies (titles) in your project. If you only have one movie then Play All is not needed.

All you need on your menu page is a Play button and a Chapters (or scenes) button.

If that school wants a "High Definition AVCHD format" that means of course a BlueRay disc and a a BlueRay player. You can create an AVCHD DVD but it can only be 40 minutes or so in length and of course requires a BlueRay player to play. On top of that the source video should also be in High Definition.

myguggi,

thank you for your reply! I don't think that the school wants the BlueRay disk but I am sure they want the HD in AVCHD format. The problem is I have no idea if this is going to be one movie or multiple ones as I only get my information through my daughter. I've created chapters and they worked. So why was it a problem to create a play button functionality that would play the whole movie? I created unlinked button to be as my Play button. However, when I wanted to link this button to the whole movie, nothing was displayed in the Setting screen as you could see in my screen shot attachment above.

This school has somebody who is the father of one of their student and he is professional movie editor but he just does not want to spend his time for the money the school is paying for that job. I wanted to help them just even for nothing using what I have. Thanks!

Going back to a previous reply, where a single movie with Chapters will, by default, have a "play all" that works with AVCHD and BluRay, one can always create a single project in VideoWave, import that into MyDVD as a single movie (regardless of how many there may actually be) then create chapter points for, and within, each movie segment. Just offering an option, whether or not it's something anyone would be willing to use.

I just started reading this thread from the end. Just a reminder that you can put only 40 minutes of AVCHD video on a single sided DVD (almost double for double layer). The school will need to have a blu ray player that will play those discs.

If the school only has standard definition players/projectors, then the video will have to be mpg2 (720 by 480).