• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
aeshna

Mydvdexpress Won't Recognize Product Key - Mpeg-2 Activation

Question

I run WindowsXP on a desktop PC. I've installed Easy CD & DVD burning from Roxio on it a couple of years ago, and so far it worked great for burning CDs.

Now I want some of my movieclips burned on a DVD for a friend who doesn't have a computer.

But the program "MyDVDexpress" in Roxio wants MPEG-2 codec(s) activated first. Clicked through that, but then it says "Invalid product key". The key is correct, was recognized in the registration just now. What's wrong?

There doesn't seem to be another way to burn DVDs with this program. Any advice (besides getting a different DVD-burner)?

Edited by aeshna

4 answers to this question

Aeshna,

You haven't told us which version of Easy CD & DVD Burning you're trying to use. There are four main versions, 6, 9, 10, and 14.

You don't have the very latest version [14], and I just ran version 10 up but couldn't provoke any MPEG-2 problems.

I think you have the old version 9 from back around 2006-2007. It has a blue Roxio burning icon, while v.10 is black, and v.14 is orange.

The "Invalid Product Key" complaint is not about your version 9 CD-key, but is about the key Roxio is supposed to use to activate the MPEG-2 codec.

Version 9 has been plagued with MPEG-2 activation problems, as you'll see if you look in the EMC 9 -Activation forum.

There is a pinned post there [Click this Link] written by John at Roxio who used to work for the company. That post might help you.

Regards,

Brendon

Sorry, Brendon, I didn't get to this earlier. Thanks for the link, but the activation did not work.

I posted also a reply on the "Missing Mpeg-2 codec" thread from last year in reply to "zubb99". Here the post again:

"I have the exact same problem like "zubb99" describes on March 10, 2014 - except that I installed the Roxio CD & DVD creator program Version 9.0.554 from a retail box (bought at Office Depot) last year on a brand new PC with Windows XP pro (yes, I still like that one better). I didn't have any crashes, bugs, viruses or other interfering programs to blame.

The CD creator and all audio related functions work perfectly.

But when I first tried to make a DVD, it requested an activation! The manual offline activation for the "MyDVDexpress", as suggested, yields the same error message: There was a problem activating your product. This could be due to: ERR_ACTIVATION_GENERAL

Sorry, all the reasons that Brendon lists for the malfunction do not apply. Any other way to get this program working? I won't buy another newer version for the very few times I would need the DVD writer."

Any help still available?

Edited by aeshna

Aeshna,

No, sorry but there's no relief in sight on this problem. When this very old software was current 7 or 8 years ago, Roxio had a commercial agreement with the providers of the mpeg-2 codec, and were required to pay them a certain amount for every user who used it. This was enforced by registration and activation of the software.

Since then Roxio has been acquired by Sonic, who in turn were acquired by Rovi, who have been acquired now by Corel, and any such commercial agreement (and the activation servers which serviced it) have long gone, as have the original staff.

Sorry, but it's time to give up or go get other software.

Regards,

Brendon

Thanks, Brendon, for the explanation. So no DVD-option with my old "EasyCD&DVD" program. Well, won't kill me. I've used the program for CDs of all kinds over many years on consecutive machines (without DVD-device): IMHO it is still the best CD writer program, and was worth the money.

Happy Turkeyday!