• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 27 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

2011 My Dvd Project Problems With Nxt3

jpmathews3rd

Question

Just upgraded to NXT3. The first My DVD project that I loaded (which worked fine with Creator 2011) opens without menus and music. Essentially, the formatting has vanished. This project took weeks of effort and I don't have the time to devote to it right now, but need the project to work. ANY THOUGHTS? IS IT ME, OR IS TECHNOLOGY SLOWLY KILLING US WITH THESE INCIDENTS OF PURE IDIOCY?

6 answers to this question

Sorry, but you have discovered a 'Fact of Life'
Roxio doesn't advertise or guarantee backward compatibility between saved projects and versions of the software that didn't create these saved projects, especially when the versions are four or five years apart.

We long-term users recommend:
In general it is always best to complete a project in the version where you started it, because very little will be identical once you change versions.

Regards,
Brendon

Thanks Brendon. I find it incredulous, to say the least, that a file created in an older version of a program is not able to be used by a new version of the same program. What lunacy exists in the minds of those &^*@( that developed NXT3. The only reason that I upgraded was that 2011 literally stopped working. So by your explanation, and further extrapolated to all of my programs (Excel, Word, Quicken, QuickBooks), I should have to re-create all of the files that had been created by previous versions. This not only sounds, but is, quite amateur. I am not killing the messenger here, I JUST FIND IT LUDICROUS. What is one to do with all of those files created in 2011? Start over from scratch?

I can't speak for Roxio or any of the vendors of those other programs, and I agree with you that it would be nice for us users if all software never changed the way it saved and loaded project files.

However as a user, even at first glance I see some huge fishhooks in that approach.

-Microsoft's Windows has ballooned and bloated grotesquely through trying to maintain backwards compatibility, and large numbers of features have had to be dropped because of the increasing bloat. Other software faces the same difficulty.

-there could be no advancement in the software if new features couldn't be added, and old ones dropped, and this means changing project file format

-continued backwards compatibility requires you to keep the old programmers handy or to train your new programmers on the old ways things were done. You tend to lose or shed old staff when a company is acquired, and in the trail from Adaptec > Roxio > Sonic > Rovi > Corel that Creator has traveled, I don't think there are many non-Corel programmers still with the company.

Roxio software has never guaranteed this inter-version compatibility, and the software has been changing quite rapidly at times since the days of Adaptec. It's not something new. If you complete a project before you change your software you can always save the result and make more copies later. If you want to use an old project in new software you will have to massage it very energetically or else start it from the beginning again.

The way things work out is often inconvenient for us, but hardly ludicrous when you consider these things. - Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Brendon

... The only reason that I upgraded was that 2011 literally stopped working. ...

In a "moving on" sort of way, what happened that 2011 stopped working for you? Did you upgrade to a new system/OS? Is there any chance of getting back to a system with 2011 on it so you can finish this project?

One thing I've done to be able to run older versions is use a Virtual Machine of an older version of Windows. Not sure if that would help you or not, but just trying to explore other options for you.

Edited by d_deweywright

Thanks d_deweywright. 2011 stopped functioning a while back I think because of a Windows 7 upgrade. Since upgrades affected another important program that I use, I disabled automatic upgrades and am essentially running on Windows 7 May 2014 version. I tried reinstalling 2011 and was still not able to get it to work. I forget the error message now, but did go to the knowledgebase and tried the suggestions posted to no avail. It's very disappointing and aggravating that after spending the money and time to upgrade, the only thing that I needed the #$^@ program for, will not work. Just venting -