• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
JDE

explicitly convert transport stream?

Question

Is there a way to explicitly convert a transport stream file (xxx.tp) to an MPEG-2 file that EMC9 likes?

The VideoWave Help: "Adding files to productions: What kind of files can you add to a production?" topic says:

o MPEG2 transport stream (m2t, tp, trp) Note: conversion is required prior to editing.

But I can't find any instructions on how to invoke a conversion.

I have a .tp file, created by BeyondTV 4.4.0, which seems to contain two distinct TV programs, one HD, and one SD. When I add this .tp file to a VideoWave project, I get a message telling me that it is not in an "editable format" and must be converted. After being asked to provide a new file name (for the .mpg file), I am asked to select Program 0 or Program 1. If I select Program 0, file conversion seems to complete ok.

If I select Program 1, conversion starts, and then ends, saying I cannot access the new file. And sure enough, when I look, I see the new .mpg file there, zero length, but marked as Read-Only. Changing the permission and trying again does not seem to work - it appears the file is deleted and recreated.

(My objective is to capture ATSC SD programs on my laptop and put on a DVD for use in a "normal" DVD player. So far, I haven't found a combination of software that will work with my Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950 USB tuner.)

Thanks for any help.

Edited by JDE

2 answers to this question

Is there a way to explicitly convert a transport stream file (xxx.tp) to an MPEG-2 file that EMC9 likes?

The VideoWave Help: "Adding files to productions: What kind of files can you add to a production?" topic says:

o MPEG2 transport stream (m2t, tp, trp) Note: conversion is required prior to editing.

But I can't find any instructions on how to invoke a conversion.

I have a .tp file, created by BeyondTV 4.4.0, which seems to contain two distinct TV programs, one HD, and one SD. When I add this .tp file to a VideoWave project, I get a message telling me that it is not in an "editable format" and must be converted. After being asked to provide a new file name (for the .mpg file), I am asked to select Program 0 or Program 1. If I select Program 0, file conversion seems to complete ok.

If I select Program 1, conversion starts, and then ends, saying I cannot access the new file. And sure enough, when I look, I see the new .mpg file there, zero length, but marked as Read-Only. Changing the permission and trying again does not seem to work - it appears the file is deleted and recreated.

(My objective is to capture ATSC SD programs on my laptop and put on a DVD for use in a "normal" DVD player. So far, I haven't found a combination of software that will work with my Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950 USB tuner.)

Thanks for any help.

If this will help, I will tell you of my experiences.

I have transferred .ts files from a Humax PVR to a pc. When I attempt to access the file in media manager the window freezes for about 30minutes (the file size is about 1.5GB) before I get a response which is usually a message to tell me the file needs transcoding. The help text does not tell you how to do this!

I then tried to load the .ts file into video editor. Again I had to wait about 30min. Then I was told that the file needed converting to an editable format and a window had opened to allow me to accept a trancode. The file was then converted giving me a .mpeg file alongside the original .ts.

The new .mpeg file is fully editable.

Good luck.

If I select Program 0, file conversion seems to complete ok.
I assume that program 0 is the HD version? That shouldn't be a problem with Videowave/MyDVD. When you create a 'SD' project, the HD file will be re-encoded to SD before burning. Granted it may take longer than if you had a real SD file, but quality should be excellent.