Kakashifan727

Black Preview Screen For Consoles And Only Desktop Shows For Computer.

Question

Manufacturer:

Alienware

Model:

Alienware AREA51_R2

Intel i7 Core 5820 CPU

NIVIDIA Geforce GTX 960 x2

16GB RAM

64bit OS

Win8

Okay, these problems have been going on since I got this new computer. I'd upload screenshots but I have no idea where to do so that is still free and doesn't require an account. I have reinstalled and repaired the program numerous times after looking at some of the topics on the forum and yet it still does not change anything. What happens is when I attempt to run the Roxio through a component cable to my PS3 the device says ready and the buttons are lit up yet there is no preview video or audio. Pressing any of the colored buttons causes it to freeze and crash.

The PC problem might be a simpler issue. I can only seem to get footage of the raw desktop and none of the games I try to run. I am connecting the Roxio to my PC via a HDMI cable. Also, I do have it set up so that my TV monitor is the computer screen; also using an HDMI cable. Yet this shouldn't be an issue if they are both coming from the same place; Xsplit does the same thing and it gets footage easily enough. There is no audio from the games either (even though I hear it on the desktop); is it because I am running the games in fullscreen? Then shouldn't it record the whole screen? I will try one of the games in windowed mode to see if it may be that but I don't think it is. This time the device does record, it just records the desktop despite me playing games while it is recording. I played a game and tested it out a few seconds ago and it just shows the desktop, the game's icon running in the taskbar, with none of the game audio.

15 answers to this question

Read the instructions, a PS 3 requires a Component Cable for RGC input...

With that you can still have HDMI output for your Monitor.

Post pics? HERE

Maybe I did not explain properly, but that is how my PS3 is set up. With a component cable. The HDMI is just for the monitor. I tried re setting up the program, and now I have this issue. Everything is now greyed out and I cannot select any options.

post-127963-0-36473100-1442668645_thumb.png

post-127963-0-66422100-1442687148_thumb.pngI know it is, because that's the setting on the input display on my TV. I feel dumb; I might try to reinstall it again just to see if that would work.

I did that. Now when it is set to component I hear a second of audio from my PS3 then nothing and the preview screen is still black. Trying to set it up with HDMI just causes it to crash completely and freeze. And as before hitting any of the colored buttons causes it to freeze.

post-127963-0-38728200-1442687124_thumb.png

Edited by Kakashifan727

Go to Search, upper right hand corner, and type in Alienware. You should find a ton of hits about problems with Alienware computers. 10 years ago, the were the epitome of top notched computers for gaming. Today, meh.

i'm only finding my topic on here. And so what you're saying is that its my computer that is incompatible with the software and I'd have to go out and buy a new one?

I've been finding these; is this what you mean? I'd rather not have to go through the hassle of buying another computer since I doubt I'd get the money back and I jave no idea what I'd need to buy anyway. I have no idea about computers; I just found one that matched the possible specs of theg ames I wanted to play, asked some people about it and they said it was a good idea. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2249180

It seems most of these problems have to do with laptops anyway. I'm using a desktop...though I doubt that matters much.

Edited by Kakashifan727

i'm only finding my topic on here. And so what you're saying is that its my computer that is incompatible with the software and I'd have to go out and buy a new one?

I've been finding these; is this what you mean? I'd rather not have to go through the hassle of buying another computer since I doubt I'd get the money back and I jave no idea what I'd need to buy anyway. I have no idea about computers; I just found one that matched the possible specs of theg ames I wanted to play, asked some people about it and they said it was a good idea. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2249180

It seems most of these problems have to do with laptops anyway. I'm using a desktop...though I doubt that matters much.

No, I am not saying that you need to get a new computer. If you only found your topic, when you did the search mode, then you did not do the search properly.

There is one person here, who frequently helps folks, and has an Alienware computer. Hopefully, he will drop in and help you.

Thanks for the pictures!

Notice the one in Post #2 has the red 'Capture Device' for status... That means it senses the RGC is connected (usb) but not working right.

In Post# 5 I see the Status is the green 'Ready' but you are set to HDMI in both which won't work for a PS3! If you were using something else, the blank preview screen indicates it has HDCP coding ;)

HOWEVER, in all cases you software is not working as intended and that is what we need to fix!

Let's try a short version of repair and hope it is enough -_-

First thing to do is to turn off your Anti Virus, Firewalls, Registry Cleaners, etc.

Unplug your RGC Device and put it aside until you are completely finished.

Now insert your Roxio Disc.

When you reach the screen where Repair is offered, choose that!

When the Repair completes, turn your AV & Firewall back on and reboot.

I did repair it and now I have this. I do not have HDMI hooked up for the PS#, as I said before; I am only using RGB component cables for that. What is hooked up by HDMI is my computer monitor. Now the preview screens are just black and when I try to change from component to HDMI o vice versa the application crashes. I couldn't add a video of my problem but you can see in the right photo that this is what the screen loks like when trying to record from my pc; it only shows the desktop and even though a game is running, it does not record video or audio.

post-127963-0-15604700-1442767354_thumb.png

Edited by Kakashifan727

Do us a favor on the screen caps in the future. Use Alt-PrtScr to make them. This will limit the cap to the Application that has the focus. By the time we blow up the ones you have posted (full screen) the text is unreadable :lol:

I understand your HDMI, it is just that what you post is exactly what happens with an HDMI input that is going through a converter...

The App does not crash unless it is corrupted or your video settings are too badly tweaked!

The App is fixed by the Repair.

The video card settings are best fixed by downloading the latest and greatest and saving it. The Software is what I am referring to, as drivers are usually up to date through Windows.

Once that is done UNINSTALL all of your video - drivers and software then reboot.

Windows will install the driver but you will have to install the software. Once you do Leave It Alone!

Do another Repair on the RGC software as I outlined above. Try it out ;)

then would the converter be the Roxio device itself? That's the only thing it's hooked up to aside from the one hooked up to the monitor. I have both component and HDMI going from the Roxio device to the TV/console and computer. Restarting it did nothing; it's the same as before, the same pictures.

then would the converter be the Roxio device itself? That's the only thing it's hooked up to aside from the one hooked up to the monitor. I have both component and HDMI going from the Roxio device to the TV/console and computer. Restarting it did nothing; it's the same as before, the same pictures.

Converter? Not exactly... the only conversion the RGC makes is from Digital input to a signal that the software turns into m2ts. (that reminds me NEVER use the MP4 setting for capture - always the M2TSI)

I mentioned 2 specific repairs to try not just a simple 'reboot'??? Did you do Both?

Honestly, I don't want to mess with the computer's default settings as I don't think it came with a windows OS install disc or whatever. I don't want to touch the drivers either, as it could do something it my computer.

Sorry, I forgot where this Topic was :wacko: (my car keys are missing too)

Not related to your issue - every computer sold by all reputable manufactures include Some Way to reinstall the OS... Used to be a Windows disc along with one to install their junk. Then some switched to a Recovery Partition on the HDD... My last one had a Backup Program that made me burn my own Recovery Discs... You need to get this nailed down from your mfg. Reinstalling the OS is mostly a matter of When, not If ;)

This is a more involved fix it process but by doing it we either confirm or eliminate any software issue...

(Add Nothing! - Skip Nothing!)

Unplug your RGC Device and put it aside until you are completely finished.

Download and install the Revo Uninstaller. Then run it in Moderate Mode to remove any traces of Roxio.

Create a New User Account with Administrator Privileges.

Turn OFF any A/V & Firewall.

Reboot and log on to that new account.

Copy your entire disc to a new folder on your HDD.

In that new folder, right click on Setup.exe and select Properties.

Under the Compatibility tab, make sure nothing is checked!

Right click Setup.exe and select Open.

Allow it to Check for Updates (this is for Roxio not Windows)

Use the Default Locations!

When the Install completes, turn your AV & Firewall back on and reboot.