• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Old Vhs Tapes Have Gaps - How To Force Record 3Hrs

chazcon

Question

Hi, this Roxio adaptor and software work well for me, not a lot of poweruser settings but as long as it gets my VHS tapes transferred to hard drive I'm happy.

However the feature that causes the program to stop recording after a certain pause on the VHS tape is a problem.

My old family VHS tapes have many random gaps, for example a tape that I tried to transfer last night had 9:32 of content, a gap of afew minutes, then another hour of content. The Roxio software only recorded the first 9:32 then stopped.

There is a setting to Set Recording Duration for up to 3 hours, one would assume that meant it would ignore the 'auto-stop' feature and recored whatever is on the tape for the time set.

But it did not, still stopped after 9:32. Any ideas? Thanks.

8 answers to this question

1) Sit there and watch the recordings and restart the recordings when it stops. I hope you are recording to you computer and NOT a DVD.

2) Tie your DVD player to another one and that one to the USb device. Soemtimes this works to provide just enough signal for the recording to continue.

You're both joking, right? lol

Only slightly. The capture is not automatic so some work must go in to it. Do you have or can you borrow a second VHS?

Do you have a camcorder that allows pass through? You can try that between the VHS and the USB device.

If you have the money and those VHS tapes are really important to you, there are VHS/DVD that will record from the VHS to a DVD. You could then edit the DVD to edit out the blanks. You might also consider using a rewritable DVD so you don;t waste them.

Just a reminder, this is NOT tech support.We are users like you but we have more experience.

My old family VHS tapes have many random gaps, for example a tape that I tried to transfer last night had 9:32 of content, a gap of afew minutes, then another hour of content. The Roxio software only recorded the first 9:32 then stopped.

There is a setting to Set Recording Duration for up to 3 hours, one would assume that meant it would ignore the 'auto-stop' feature and recored whatever is on the tape for the time set.

Unfortunately, setting the duration only sets the maximum that it will record, for a tape/signal with no gaps. Once the capture software detects "no signal", it stops. There is no way to override that in the software.

The other solutions that sknis is talking about is passing the output of your VHS through another device, which, when it gets "no signal" may simply pass through a blank/black screen (which is a valid signal), which keeps the video capture device happy so that it keeps recording.

So no, they're not joking. You'll either need to find some extra hardware to help keep it going, or babysit the capture.

Edited by d_deweywright