OregonRebel

Image Size For Dvd Menus

Question

In the Video window in the Options tab, there's a Customize button for the menu styles. Click the button and and in the Menus tab is a place to drag & drop an image.

There should be a note or tooltip to let you know what the maximum dimensions are before it will be cropped, but Roxio failed to include that little piece of useful information.

I started off with a large widescreen image, but it was squeezed to fit and everything became tall and skinny.

When I checked the crop box, about half the image was lost.

I want to know the maximum dimensions before an image starts getting squeezed or cropped.

Edited by OregonRebel

2 answers to this question

DVD is 16:9 or 4:3, HD (Blu-ray, etc) is 16:9, so ideally your new background image should have a matching aspect ratio.

Likewise, DVD is 720 × 480 px (NTSC) or 720 × 576 px (PAL), HD is 1920 × 1080 px, so that should give an indication about how much can get cropped at full image resolution. But as DVD has non-square pixels, you have more control with less calculations, when using the correct aspect ratio while allowing scaling down.

Thanks, but you may have missed the point.

It's not going to let me use just any ol' size, even if the dimensions match the chosen format.

For example I can't use a 4000 x 2250 image without it getting squeezed or cropped tremendously.

That's why I asked for the maximum dimensions BEFORE squeezing/cropping occur. Is it 1920 x 1080?

I didn't realize the image size would change with the format, so if I use 720p video, the max would be 720 x 480?

There should really be a note below the image area that says what the dimensions for the selected format should be if it varies.

Edited by OregonRebel