Ivan05

Easy Cd & Dvd Burning - "please Wait While Windows Configures Roxio Central" Runs Constantly

Question

Every time I start Easy CD & DVD Burning, the program wants to "update" itself.

A window titled Roxio Central opens and displays "Please wait while Windows configures Roxio Central" and another window titled "Roxio Central" displays "The setup must update files or services that cannot be
updated while the system is running. If you choose to continue, a reboot will be required to complete the setup.".

I have allowed this to run 4 times, and these messages still popup when I start the program.

"Help" > "About This Software" displays the following:

Roxio Easy CD and DVD Burning

Version: 14.0.49.2; 5.0.0.0

Build: 140B49C, ECD; 701B41A, ECD

Serial Number: xx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx (Removed for security purposes)

Roxio Common UI Framework

Version 4.0.4580.32870

Roxio Central Framework

Version 7.0.4580.32862

Additionally, the RIP- Advanced feature will not work. It does not recognize there is an audio disc in the CD drive. The RIP (not Advanced) feature appears to work, but I have not tried to RIP an audio CD with it.

Help please!

Many thanks.

Edited by Ivan05

10 answers to this question

Hello Ivan,

That looks very much like a broken install, rather than something which has happened suddenly after a long time of working properly. Would that be right? If it is, the software is trying hard to correct the situation, but failing miserably. Broken installs are usually caused by Anti-Virus software.

I would suggest that your best option here is to wait until you have a free hour and then:

[1] uninstall the software via Windows Control Panel > Programs and Features;

[2] tidy the system up with Windows Disk Cleanup, and then

[3] Do a clean install of Easy CD & DVD Burning.

For the clean install, you first disconnect your system's ethernet cable to protect you while your anti-virus is off.

Then you disable your anti-virus and any background programs, using Windows MSConfig

Then install, then reverse the msconfig actions, then reboot and reconnect to the Internet.

You can completely disconnect because this particular software suite doesn't have on-line key checking, or the limited-times installer key that later versions have been 'blessed' with. [see the NXTx forums]. Please be aware that it is a slooow installation - mine took about 40 minutes, at least half of which was waiting with no apparent movement for Microsoft's .Net 4.0 to install.

Just in case you [or perhaps another later user] need it, here's what the Corel KnowledgeBase says about how to use MSConfig.

Regards,

Brendon

- - - - - - -

• Make sure you are logged in as the Administrator of your computer before installing.
  • Turn off your anti-virus software during install. In some cases, all the installation activity may alert your anti-virus software that there is a potential threat and block installation of key components. Once you are done installing your software, turn your anti-virus software back on.
  • Be sure to turn off any other background processes that may interfere with installation. In addition to anti-virus software mentioned above, streaming video, copying files, or running other applications can hinder a successful install. One of the safest ways to ensure that these extra processes are turned off is to follow these directions:
    • Windows XP: Go to Start -> Run. Type "msconfig" (without quotes) then clickOK.
    • Windows 7 and Vista: Go to Start and type "msconfig" (without quotes) into theStart Search field and press the "Enter" key.
    • Select the Startup tab.
    • Click the Disable All button.
    • Click the Apply button, then click the OK button.
    • Click the Restart button.

To reverse this at the end of installation, go back into MSCONFIG and select Enable All and restart (that can be done once installation is complete).

Brendon,

Thank you so much for your time and detailed reply. I have tried the uninstall/install route 3 times, all with the same results. I did disable the AV software each time, with no success. I did not try the MSCONFIG route, but I will try that and see how it goes.

I will post back with the results.

Thanks again,

Regards,

Ivan

Sadly, this did not resolve the problem. I even diabled the AV software before starting Easy CD & DVD Burning. Left it "update" as it asked to do, and rebooted. Did that twice. The third attempt, it still wants to "update" and the "RIP- Advanced" feature will not work.

Unless you have some other ideas, I'm done. I will find another product that works as adverstised.

I have pretty much lost all faith and trust in Roxio and Corel, and this will be the last piece of software I ever purchase from them.Their lack of loyalty and support to their customer base is appalling.

Thanks again for your help Brendon, sorry to have wasted your time.

Hello Ivan,

This is using my time, not wasting it. I come here to help people such as you.

The fact it's still trying to "update" when you run it shows there are still broken bits in there. Using Windows 'Programs and Features' is the lightweight way to uninstall, and it doesn't seem to be enough in this case. This broken stuff needs to be removed whether you're about to reinstall the Roxio program or are going off to try some other software instead.

There are two suggestions I still have which you could try. After that use Windows Disk Cleanup again to clear your temp files and cache.

[1] Use Roxio's uninstaller.

Since the software is still installed, I'd try this first. It uses your installer to reverse itself and undo the installation.

Easy CD & DVD Burning version 14 is actually a cut-down subset of Creator 2012, so for this method you can treat it identically as you would Creator 2011, 2012, or NXT.

Please read and use this KnowledgeBase article. The System Cleaner they describe is actually just a batch file which runs the installer backwards, and the same batch file is used for any of those versions or for Easy CD & DVD burning. I've used this one quite often without problems, so if you have any questions please come back and ask me.

[2] Use the Revo Uninstaller.

Here you download the Revo Uninstaller Freeware from this page (down near the bottom of the page) and use it in moderate mode to remove all things Roxio. I'm not so familiar with this one, but several of the gurus recommend it.

Regards,

Brendon

In the many times I've removed and reinstalled (at least 6 times now), I've always used the Roxio uninstaller that is available through the Easy CD & DVD Burning Setup program, and it hasn't made a difference. I'll try the Revo uninstaller, but I am pretty much at the end of my rope with Roxio and not very confident that this is going to work.

Sadly, using the Revo uninstaller only made things worse.

I'm pretty much done with this whole affair.

I may end up reinstalling Win 7 if I can find the time over the next few days, but after this, I will never purchase anything from Roxio, Corel or any associated subsidiaries or companies.

Even if I get it to work as it should.

And, my apologies...

Thanks again for your time, Brendon.

Edited by Ivan05

You're welcome to my time and effort Ivan. I'm very sorry we weren't able to find and fix the break for you.

I wish you well.

Brendon

Brendon, I'm having this exact same problem. I've tried each of your suggestions to no avail. Even went as far as re-enabling the apps in MSCONFIG and just opting to not load my firewalls and AVs. Still same issue. Any other ideas?