• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

MaBelle

Question About Bluray Plug In

Question

I just installed an update of Toast 14 and noticed that it states that the program will author DVDs able to play on a MAC or PC, nothing is mentioned about playing the DVDs on a set top DVD player. I have been having major issues with cropping when attempting playback on a set top DVD player, so maybe it is not even a viable option?

My question is this-has anyone had any luck using the BluRay plug in to author and playback an SD DVD on a standard (no BluRay) set top DVD Player?

18 answers to this question

The “High-Def/Blu-ray Disc Plug-in” is only used to author HD video to Blu-ray Discs. It has nothing to do with cropping, and it has nothing to do with SD DVDs, even from HD source material. Your issue is not with the plug-in.

I'm not having any issues burning the DVDs and they playback fine on my Mac or PC, but the image is cropped when played back on set top box. I'm not seeing where is states the DVDs will playback on a standard set top box on the website or anywhere else. It mentions bluray players, but not standard set top DVD players. Has anyone had any experience using the blurry plugin to author SD DVDs and playing them back on a standard set top DVD player?

I'm not using the plugin now. I'm using Toast 14 without plugin and am experiencing major cropping during playback on set top DVD player. Works fine on Mac or PC.

I was wondering if purchasing and using the plugin would in some way help to solve this cropping issue. I've tried adjusting the display settings on both the multiple set top players I have tested and on the TV, but no luck, still cropping image. Any suggestions?

Are you using a set top DVD player, or a set top BluRay player? Does the DVD player have any options for HD output listed in the manual? If not, it can only output in SD, which should show up on your TV in letter-box (4:3) format. Of course, your TV may be trying to stretch the image to 16:9 format, which could result in cropping.

How are you authoring your DVD, in 4:3 (SD) or 16:9 (HD) format? Are your source video files SD or HD format?

The fact that your set top player is playing the disc indicates that it is probably authored correctly, but one or more of the playback devices (player or TV) is trying to automatically set the output to a format you don't want.

Let us know more about your player and TV (make and model).

For clarification, I am not a Toast user, so I won't be able to answer any specific questions about Toast, but it doesn't sound like Toast is necessarily the problem here.

Edited by d_deweywright
- disclaimer

I'm using a set top DVD player-not BluRay player.

I have tried authoring in Automatic, 4:3 and 16:9, all with the same result (cropping when played back on set top DVD player).

TV is a brand new samsung, I've tried on multiple DVD players and an Xbox 1, all resulting in the same cropping issue.

Original files are MPEG-4, 1280 x 720

I plan to distribute this DVD so how can I make it as broadly playable as possible? It plays fine on Mac and PC, just not on set top DVD players.

What do you mean by cropping?

Your 1280x720 video will of course be converted to 720x480 video when burned to a DVD since that is the required format for a DVD

Why did you post in this forum since you are not creating a BlueRay disc?

Edited by myguggi

By cropping I mean that part of the video display is cut off. I posted in this forum because I am attempting to find a solution to my issue and was wondering if using the BluRay plug in to burn an SD DVD would help to solve this cropping issue.

Edited by MaBelle

Yes, but what parts of the video are cropped? Top/Bottom? Sides? The keys to the solution are in the details.

And no, the BluRay plug-in will do nothing to affect your creation of a DVD.

When you author in the different 4:3 or 16:9 formats, does it display as you expect on your Mac/PC? That is, if you author/create in 4:3, does that disc playback in 4:3 format with black bars on the sides? And if you author in 16:9, does that disc playback in 16:9 with black bars on top/bottom?

Edited by d_deweywright

The sides, top and bottom are cropped.

The video displays correctly on Mac and PC when authored in any format.

Thanks for any ideas as to the cause/cure.

If you look at your DVD disc in Windows Explorer, what files and folders does it show you? Expand the folders, then do a screen capture and save that to an image file, and post that here. Instructions for posting pictures can be found in the link in my signature, below.

Also, what model is your Samsung TV?

I may have missed something, but what OS are you using MaBelle? Toast is a Mac only app. Not sure attempting to view a toast project in windows would work. Though I have not tried that as I do not use windows OS.

I may have missed something, but what OS are you using MaBelle? Toast is a Mac only app. Not sure attempting to view a toast project in windows would work. Though I have not tried that as I do not use windows OS.

Unless I'm mistaken, she's looking at the rendered video or disc, not the project.

I understand that, but if she does not have a PC, using windows will not help. If she is using a Mac, she can use QT to open files.

She does have a PC - read post #4

I did see that, and I may be slow, but what she actually says is "Mac OR PC". She says that in several of her posts for that matter. Roxio markets Toast as allowing its audio/video as being playable on either OS. I just need clarification from her about this as Toast only works on a Mac, but does indeed author a DVD that can be played on a Mac or PC. So if she has both a Mac and PC and has tried playing it on both OS's then she has access to windows to capture images from the video file on the authored DVD. If she only has a Mac, she'll need to use QT to do the same.

The other thing we don't know is if she was viewing the disc, on the various computers, or if she was watching the rendered video, which could display differently from the written disc.

And in post #11, she says, "Mac and PC," which implies with little equivocation that she has both platforms available for viewing the final product. It's understood that Toast is strictly a Mac product.

Edited by d_deweywright