• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

jerhart

Cannot Copy Using Single Disc

Question

Attempting to copy a non-copyright protected data disc.

Insert disc and receive this message when attempting to copy: "There was a problem writing to the disc. You can try again by clicking Retry button. You will need another blank disc ready."

I put a blank disc in the drive and then receive this message: "The disc you have inserted is blank. Please insert another disc into the drive."

Can you not copy a CD/DVD with a single drive using this software?

Roxio Easy CD & DVD Burning

Version: 14.0.49.2; 5.0.0.0

Build: 140B49C, ECD; 701B41A, ECD

Thanks in advance for the help.

15 answers to this question

Are you trying to cache the CD/DVD your copying?

Have you tried saving the CD/DVD your copying to a image file then re-burning the image file to a blank disc?

jerhart,

There are at least 3 ways to copy a data disc in a single drive using this software, not counting just reading the files off and making a new disc with them.

[1] using the Data/Copy 'Copy Disc' menu item. Here the software will automatically create a temporary image and prompt you to insert a fresh disc to receive it. The temporary image is auto-deleted on completion.

post-208-0-10353500-1452900598_thumb.jpg

[2] Using the Data/Copy 'Copy Disc to Image' item. The software creates a permanent image at the address it shows you under the heading 'Choose Image'

post-208-0-50565200-1452900744_thumb.jpg

You then use the 'Burn Disc Image' item to burn that image onto a fresh disc. You can delete the image later.

post-208-0-89118400-1452900900_thumb.jpg

[3] Using Roxio Burn which pops up an icon at the bottom right of the screen when you insert your source disc. Follow the prompts it gives.

post-208-0-92124100-1452900996_thumb.jpg

If you get an error writing to your destination disc, ensure you have a good quality, clean blank disc; that your drive is dust-free and clean; and if necessary you can use the Options button to go in and set the drive speed to a lower and more reliable level.

post-208-0-60254800-1452901367_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Brendon

cdanteek: This answer is not helpful at all. Of course this works but it completely defeats the purpose of what I am trying to do. Copy a single disc with a single drive, without staging files to the HDD separately.

Brendon: I am attempting to use method 1. That is when I receive the errors. Any ideas? This is something that Roxio should be able to do out of the box. I have tried multiple types of discs (including Verbatim archival CDs and DVDs. Nothing works.

cdanteek: This answer is not helpful at all. Of course this works but it completely defeats the purpose of what I am trying to do. Copy a single disc with a single drive, without staging files to the HDD separately.

Re-read Brendon's # 1 "Here the software will automatically create a temporary image and prompt you to insert a fresh disc to receive it. The temporary image is auto-deleted on completion."

There is no way to do what you want "without staging files to the HDD" either temporary or permanent!

How helpful is that? :unsure:

I understand that, what I'm saying is do I have to manually stage them through Windows Explorer? No.

I should be able to produce a copy of a disc by following theses steps (correct me if I'm wrong):

1. Insert disc

2. launch Roxio

3. click copy disc

4. select the same drive for both source and destination

5. click the green arrows and I receive the error messages in my original post

When attempting to copy: "There was a problem writing to the disc. You can try again by clicking Retry button. You will need another blank disc ready."

I put a blank disc in the drive and then receive this message: "The disc you have inserted is blank. Please insert another disc into the drive."

No. It never even attempts. As soon as I try to start the copy it displays the message:

"There was a problem writing to the disc. You can try again by clicking Retry button. You will need another blank disc ready."

"There was a problem writing to the disc. You can try again by clicking Retry button. You will need another blank disc ready."

It sounds like a temporary image is made already and it's asking to write to a blank disc.

Since we can't watch over your shoulder or poke the problem with a stick we have to rely on your information!

Would it be that hard to try Brendon's # 2 and see if that works?

It's not staging a 700MB image to the hard drive immediately after clicking go.

See my original post...if it were staging to the hard drive then it would work not display:

"The disc you have inserted is blank. Please insert another disc into the drive."

Brenden's #2 will work just fine. I don't want to create the image file separately. I just want to click disc copy and have it read from a disc and write it to another disc.

On the same drive?

The staging is a temporary file. If you have no room for it, you will have other issues with working with files.

It could be that the Program is Not recognizing the Disc...

Why not try a proper repair and see what happens.

Turn Off your Anti Virus

Insert your ECD Disc and let it start to install

It will offer to Repair when it sees you already have one

Choose that!

Turn On your A/V and reboot.

Let us know ;)

It's not staging a 700MB image to the hard drive immediately after clicking go.

See my original post...if it were staging to the hard drive then it would work not display:

"The disc you have inserted is blank. Please insert another disc into the drive."

Brenden's #2 will work just fine. I don't want to create the image file separately. I just want to click disc copy and have it read from a disc and write it to another disc.

It has to stage to an image file on your hard disk drive before it can write to the destination disc, there is no other way it can work.

I am assuming that you are trying to copy from CD to CD or DVD to DVD. You cant copy from CD to DVD or DVD to CD

I will try a repair. But this was the initial behavior after installation.

Yes I am an admin on the machine. Both local and domain.

I understand it has to stage a file to write. Those errors happen within the same copy session. My HDD has plenty of space.

Yes I am copying within the same disc type.

In place of Copy, try using the Burn Data Disc app.

Copy all the files on your CD to that program window then click on Burn.

(it will stage on your HDD and prompt you for a blank disc when needed)

This topic has turned into a confusing "guru cluster . . . " I'll leave it to you folks.

Good luck, jerhart.