Johnr9q

Easy Lp To Mp3

Question

I am thinking about purchasing the Roxio Easy LP to MP3 but don't see any forum that talks about it. Where can I go to get answers? I have a bunch of reel to reel magnetic tapes (this is the format used before cassette tapes) from the 1960's that I want to save on my computer and place on CD's. I look on the internet and see discussions about just using my existing sound card and with some software like Audacity to make this work. My problem is I am very computer illiterate and don't even know if my computer has a sound card or where I would hook my reel to reel tape recorder to my computer. Maybe the Roxio program would be the way to go. I just want to do it as easy as possible

You're essentially correct in your assumption. It expands the file to the .WAV format, which is then put onto the CD as a Track, not a file. And that is the main difference between an Audio CD, and a Data CD, the format of the data on the disc. At this point, it starts to get technical. The directory structure is different, and the way the information is written to the disc is different. That's the highlight. If you try to look at an Audio CD using Windows Explorer, you'll see an entry like, "Track01.CDA" and it will show as being 40 bytes long. Well, there is no ".CDA" file type, it probably stands for "CD Audio" track. And the 40 bytes is just the header information that says where the track starts on the disc, and how long it is.

But an Audio CD should be playable in any CD player, and probably any DVD or BluRay player as well, which is what you want.

d_deweywright: I really appreciate your help. So when I use Windows Media Player to burn, is it automatic that it converts the file from WMA to WAV or do I need to select something? If I'm asking a question you've already answered, I'm sorry.

Edited by Johnr9q

I got all my reel to reel tapes on CD now (Thanks to all of your help) Now I want to transfer my cassette tapes to CD. I hooked my old cassette deck to the computer just like I hooked up the reel to reel. I try to record the sound on my computer using Windows Sound Recorder and get nothing. When I hook headphones into the output of the cassette deck I can hardly hear the sound. I cleaned the record head and tried a number of tapes and the end result was the same. I would think that Sound Recorder would be able to pick up the weak signal but it doesn't. Is my Cassette deck bad? When I put my headphones inline with my reel to reel output I got plenty of volume.

Now that you mention it, being able to hear on your headphones from the line out on your Reel-to-Reel indicates that the output level on that was extremely high. A typical "line level" signal won't drive headphones.

But, I think you're problem is simply the recording level set on your line-in input. You'll have to go into your sound devices, and check the recording level. I would suggest you go into Start -> Control Panel -> Sounds, look for the "Recording" tab.

post-61-0-89992500-1454931614_thumb.jpg

Double click on your line-in device. And then look for the "Levels" tab.

post-61-0-42496400-1454931614_thumb.jpg

Then see if any of those controls give you a usable signal in Windows Recorder.

deweywright again you were right on. I did what you said and it now records perfectly. (I don't know if it tells you anything, but on the reel to reel the output connectors were 6.5mm and labeled "Line Out" whereas on the Cassette deck the output connectors are RCA and are also labeled "Line Out"). Next question: Where do I hook my earphones so I can monitor what I am recording. (I guess I could use the line out of the cassette deck but it is difficult to hear) I tried the Headphone and mic connectors on the front of my tower and also the Center/subwoofer connector on the rear of my tower and get nothing.