• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
justburnmycdplease

Can't Finalize Cd-R

Question

I'm not sure if this is exactly the right sub-forum because I'm using Roxio Creator Silver 10 which didn't show up in any of the sub-forums, and this was the closest I could guess.

I burned a couple files onto a CD-R just using the built in Windows 7 drag and drop functionality where just drag the files into your CD/DVD drive. The files were burnt on just fine. The only problem is that per some of my company's security requirements, I need the disk to be finalized (not just the session closed).

Windows doesn't provide a way to finalize your disks, so I tried with Roxio Creator Silver 10. I inserted my disk, opened Roxio, clicked on Tools, then "Finalize Disk" I click the big button and it tells me:

"Please insert an appendable data disc that is CD media or DVD write-once media."

Is there a way to finalize my disk, or do I just need to get rid of this disk and write a new one? (I don't have another disk handy, so I'd really rather make this one work).

4 answers to this question

Is there a way to finalize my disk, or do I just need to get rid of this disk and write a new one? (I don't have another disk handy, so I'd really rather make this one work).

No.

You probably used windows Live File System to burn the files to disc.

W-7 OS burning engines Live File System and Mastered disc formats

Are you just burning a data disc? If so use your Roxio to do so and close the disc.

• Like 1

Hello and welcome.

This is the closest forum you'll get to Creator Silver 10, so you landed in the right place.

Bad news first, you will need to write yourself another disc, I'm afraid. The CD you've made with Windows 7 "Live File System" can't be finalized properly.

You need to go back to Windows 7 and write yourself a "mastered" CD which you can finalize. If you press F3 and seek help on "Burning a CD" the Windows 7 help system will give you a bewildering array of choices, but will explain how to burn a "mastered" disc.

A brief explanation:

Back when CD technology was emerging, a 650 MB disc would hold way more data than a hard drive could (20, 25, or maybe even 32 MB !! Wow!)

Two main ways of writing them were used - "Mastering" where you wrote large lumps of data in a 'session' and closed the session, or "Packet writing" where you could write as little as one file a time, but had to leave the disc open.

Packet writing fell out of favor in the industry because it wasted time and space having to pre-format the discs, and it was complicated and unreliable. It has now been adopted by Microsoft as their 'Windows 7 Live File System', and that was a very bad decision - it should have been left to die.

Regards,

Brendon

• Like 1