• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
jasperita@yahoo.com

Burning Photos Misc.

Question

I have an iMac with OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.4. I have a newer external Blu-ray Writer. I have Toast Titanium Ver . 11.1. I plan to burn Data disks of large photos to CD, DVD, or BD-R, BD-RE. When I burn to a disk, does Toast put any duplicate files on my computer, or eats any space? When I check “verify” and burn does Toast put any duplicate files on my computer, or eat any space? How does Toast verify? Does it verify byte for byte?

When I set up a BD-RE for Dynamic Writing and burn files, does Toast put any duplicate files on my computer, or eat any space?

What happens if something does not verify? Is the Disk lost, or the session? How would you repair or replace a block of 5 photo files that did not verify in a folder of 120 photo files?

And last question. I have a Mac. These disks full of photo folders that I will burn, I would hope to last into the immediate future. I really don’t know my future. Is there any reason I should not create a Mac & Pc Disk? Or is a Mac Only disk better for me? I have all “Mac Only” formatted External Hard drives, that I also will be storing my photos on. [These photos that I am talking about on the different drives are all copies of each other, they have to remain the exact same. Like a mirror. The photos that I am burning should be the exact same and in the exact same structure as the photos on the External Hard drives.] The photos on the Toast Disks may someday need to be placed in a replacement External Hard Drive or as replacement photos that the Lightroom Program points to (which will be on one of these external hard drives) (in case of HD failure or Catalog corruption) Any other computer device I get now will be Apple, but who knows the future. And these Toast disks are mainly a serious form of backup for me, along with External Hard Drives, since they do not crash. I want these disks to last into the future. I want them to be archival. They probably will be gold media if I can afford it. I know about Cloud storage, but don’t want to use it yet. So what is your opinion, Mac & PC or Mac Only disks?

Thank You for all your help, Thank you so much!

Sandy

3 answers to this question

What happens if something does not verify? Is the Disk lost, or the session?

What I've found is that the disc plays OK, but errors prevent conversion to dv for further editing.

When I burn to a disk, does Toast put any duplicate files on my computer, or eats any space?

The selected files go the the memory buffer (RAM), then to the optical drive, then to disc. No duplicates are stored on your hard drive (unless you opt for a disc image file).

When I check “verify” and burn does Toast put any duplicate files on my computer, or eat any space? How does Toast verify? Does it verify byte for byte?

After burning the whole disc, Toast reads back from the disc and compared that to the source files.

I think it calculates checksums for large chunks of data, but I'm not 100% sure.

When I set up a BD-RE for Dynamic Writing and burn files, does Toast put any duplicate files on my computer, or eat any space?

With dynamic writing, it should act as a hard disk, without duplicating files anywhere else. I don't use this myself, tho'.

What happens if something does not verify? Is the Disk lost, or the session? How would you repair or replace a block of 5 photo files that did not verify in a folder of 120 photo files?

If verification fails, then you know ‘something’ has gone wrong, but not what. Maybe the disc reads back OK (most likely), maybe not. I stopped verifying discs for its lack of usefulness.

Is there any reason I should not create a Mac & Pc Disk? Or is a Mac Only disk better for me? I have all “Mac Only” formatted External Hard drives, that I also will be storing my photos on.

Mac & PC (HSF Plus and ISO 9660 + Joliet file systems) is useful for reading back on non-Mac systems. Which might make it more future-proof.

The Mac part of Mac & PC is the same as Mac Only. Mac & PC adds a secondary file system with a separate table of contents for the disc.

Note that the various file systems have different legal characters: some Mac files could have characters in the name (e.g. * or / ) that may not be valid on other file systems. Toast will not warn the user when this happens (for “Mac & PC”), but change it to something valid. Also the length of filenames is a bit more constrained (~253 vs ~110) for “PC”, as is the depth (folders inside folders inside ...). The Mac file system is the same on optical discs as for hard disks (HFS+), so there should not be any difference there.