Jpg Files

acolotti

Question

Hi ,

I am new to videowave 7 but not new to DVD editiing programs. I have a problem with the program recognizing my jpg photos. Everytime I try to add one to my project I get a message box stating the name of the jpg file and that the format is not recognized by the application. This is not rocket science, but I do not know what to do to correct this issue. I have wasted tons of time but no resolution. The knowledge base on roxio website is useless. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I end up in a rubber room somewhere

thanks

Annie

10 answers to this question

Hi Frank,

No luck with either of your suggestions. Resaved as well as resized. The program does not see the images. They are all in the media selector file though. Even when I click preview, the screen returns to where it began, like it sees nothing!! I am sooooo done with this program, I think. I am going to stay with pinnacle, at least it recognizes all formats including all my digital photos and videos taken with the same camera. Obviously there is some bug in this software that I can not waste any more time on. If you have any other suggestions, let me know. Otherwise I will probably be deleting this software from my computer!! One thing that does work great is the DVD copy application.

thanks

Annie

Hi Frank,

No luck with either of your suggestions. Resaved as well as resized. The program does not see the images. They are all in the media selector file though. Even when I click preview, the screen returns to where it began, like it sees nothing!! I am sooooo done with this program, I think. I am going to stay with pinnacle, at least it recognizes all formats including all my digital photos and videos taken with the same camera. Obviously there is some bug in this software that I can not waste any more time on. If you have any other suggestions, let me know. Otherwise I will probably be deleting this software from my computer!! One thing that does work great is the DVD copy application.

thanks

Annie

What program did you use to edit the photos?

My suggestion is that it's not EMC that is causing the problem. I suggest that you need to find out why you can't even see the pictures when you try and open them using the "Preview" option in XP. There is definitely something that happened along the way from the time you took the pictures, got them transferred into your computer, edited them and then tried opening them in EMC. Please don't make EMC the rat until you find out why you can't even view the photos in any other programs, let alone EMC. I think Bruce might be onto something here regarding his question.

Frank...........

Try this Annie: Go to one of the JPG photos whereever they are stored on your computer and right click on on one of them. When you get the drop down menu, click on "PREVIEW". At the bottom of the Preview screen there are several icons. Click on the one that says to Edit (It's the one on the right just on the left of the blue question mark). I have no idea which program that will take you to. It depends on what other programs you have installed on your computer for editing photos. Anyway, where ever it takes you to, don't edit it, just change it's name and save it again as a JPEG file.

Now go back into VideoWave and see if you can bring up the new one you just saved. I have several friends that send me photos that they have taken with their digital cameras. When I get them I can see them O.K. but can't edit them until I change their name and re-save them. Why there are some digital cameras that do that, I'm not sure, as they come as JPG files to me. My sony camera doesn't. If size happens to be the problem, when you go to your edit program, just change the size of the photo to a smaller size keeping the horizontal and vertical attributes the same.

Frank.....

Try this Annie: Go to one of the JPG photos whereever they are stored on your computer and right click on on one of them. When you get the drop down menu, click on "PREVIEW". At the bottom of the Preview screen there are several icons. Click on the one that says to Edit (It's the one on the right just on the left of the blue question mark). I have no idea which program that will take you to. It depends on what other programs you have installed on your computer for editing photos. Anyway, where ever it takes you to, don't edit it, just change it's name and save it again as a JPEG file.

Now go back into VideoWave and see if you can bring up the new one you just saved. I have several friends that send me photos that they have taken with their digital cameras. When I get them I can see them O.K. but can't edit them until I change their name and re-save them. Why there are some digital cameras that do that, I'm not sure, as they come as JPG files to me. My sony camera doesn't. If size happens to be the problem, when you go to your edit program, just change the size of the photo to a smaller size keeping the horizontal and vertical attributes the same.

Frank.....

The size should not be a problem at all. Typically what causes problems like this is the 'EXIF' that some editors, cameras, etc tag into the file depending on the settings used. Basically, just because it's a jpeg file doesn't mean it's the same as another jpeg file you may have. Jpeg is just the basic format, but there can be other things in the file that make it 'non-standard'.

So try redwagon's suggestion first and see what happens, then post back with results.

I think you misunderstood what I said. I can see my photos in all other programs EXCEPT this one. The preview I was referring to is the preview option in Roxio, not XP!!

Your problem is most likely using Microsoft Digital Image Pro which many other users have experienced that same problem, i.e., edit the picture in Digital Image Pro, save as a jpg file, and then unable to import into Videowave. Larry's post above is probably right on target, Digital Image writes EXIF data to the jpg that Videowave does not like. I use Digital Image Pro 9 myself and have experienced that same inability to import edited pictures into Videowave, but only on an infrequent basis.

Just to test, save those changes in Digital Image as a png file and then try to import that file into Videowave. OR try a different image editing program if you have one such as Photosuite, save as a jpg and see if that file will import into Videowave.

Finally, while I do not have have any specific programs to recommend, I do know there are internet sites that offer software that will strip out the EXIf data from a picture. Do a google search and you should receive numerous hits.

Archived