outerbank

Transferring Vhs To Computer

Question

For some reason the vhs tape played during capture appears unstable and jumps between two of the same visuals on the capture screen. Using tracking to create a single stable image does not solve the problem. However, playing the same vhs tape when connected to a TV the playback is good and stable. The Roxio USB capture device is connected to a USB port on the back of the computer.

Any solution?

Found the solution to the problem. Rebooted computer from Win 7 to XP. VHS successfully transferred to computer. Now burning the video file to DVD. Apparently Roxio VHS to DVD doesn't like 64 bit, which is what Win 7 is operated at. Had previously transferred a VHS tape but it was back 3 years ago. Forgot it was done in XP.

Found the solution to the problem. Rebooted computer from Win 7 to XP. VHS successfully transferred to computer. Now burning the video file to DVD. Apparently Roxio VHS to DVD doesn't like 64 bit, which is what Win 7 is operated at. Had previously transferred a VHS tape but it was back 3 years ago. Forgot it was done in XP.

No problem running my VHS to DVD on my W7 64bit system

No problem running my VHS to DVD on my W7 64bit system

Are you three gentlemen (Outerbank, myguggi, and ogdens) each running the same version of VHS to DVD, and the same Capture Device?

If there are differences we may uncover something interesting here.

That may be a valid question. My version of VHS to DVD is Build 201B28AC13 and the capture device is USB 2861. To confirm that Creator 2011 was not experiencing a problem, I ran a repair of it in Win 7 OS. The play of the VHS tape did not change. The description of how the movie appeared on the capture screen was that the movements went side-to-side and the tracking feature on the VHS player did not correct the side-to-side movement. I even tried another VHS player with the same result. Again booted up into XP and performed the capture again. No problem with the movie and it's capture.

Yeah, at my age the memory isn't as good as it was. I believe some refer to the problem as CRS disease, if I remember it correctly?

First line of requirements pretty well covers it...

post-39730-0-15425900-1458559789_thumb.jpg

Also mentioned was Creator 2011. Since 2010 was Win 7 compatible, guessing 2011 would be as well ;)

By the way, 64bit means nothing to a 32bit program. 32bit programs are installed in the x86 folder and run as 32bit on all 64 bit PC's.

Still an odd situation. :glare: Wonder if it was the reboot that fixed it?

The reboot did not solve the problem as it relates to the inoperability of VHS to DVD while in Win 7 OS. VHS to DVD functioned perfectly after rebooting the computer into the Win XP OS. An hour worth of the VHS movie was successfully captured and saved to the HD on the computer. The file was then saved to a RW DVD and then successfully played on a TV. The next step involved rebooting the computer back to the Win 7 OS to determine if anything had changed. VHS to DVD was opened and the VHS player with the movie tape was started. The images were the same. A jagged movement from side-to-side was apparent and could not be controlled by adjustments to tracking. For some reason Roxio VHS to DVD doesn't like my Win 7 OS, or some part of it.

If it can be of help determining what might be the problem with operating VHS to DVD on the Win 7 OS boot, I have a better description of the images seen on the viewing screen while in capture mode. It is actually a "jerky" double image. For example, in one scene is a shot of my three children sitting together on the lawn pushing and gawking at each other, let's say in the background. In the foreground at a much larger image, and not all of the image is entirely within the viewing screen, is the identical scene of the three children. In other words, I see two of the same image, one adjacent to the other, with one being a larger image as though it were closer to the camera. How strange is that? It's as though the events are being captured twice at the same time with one capture being slightly delayed and magnified. This phenomenon occurs throughout the playing of the tape. None of this occurs when doing the same while in Win XP. Any ideas?

Build 201B28AC13

I have a W-7 Ultimate X 64 image with V2D 201B28A but no C13.

I have checked for updates but none show up.

Tell me what USB capture device your using?

post-97-0-20699300-1458577679_thumb.jpg

post-97-0-45125600-1458577678_thumb.jpg

The capture device is the top one. The back of the device indicates that it is: UB315-E Ver3. Double checked the VHS to DVD version again. Can confirm that it is indeed Bld 201B28A, C13.

The capture device is the top one. The back of the device indicates that it is: UB315-E Ver3. Double checked the VHS to DVD version again. Can confirm that it is indeed Bld 201B28A, C13.

I posted a pic I show 201B28A, NO C13!

Where do you show "Bld 201B28A, C13" ?

Double checked the Easy VHS to DVD version again

Why did you post in 2011 forum?

The build number shows up on the opening window after opening the VHS to DVD program in Win XP and also Win 7. Posted to Creator 2011 because VHS to DVD was installed when Creator 2011 was installed. Here is some additional information that seems confounding, at least somewhat to me. After successfully transferring and saving the VHS tape on the computer, while in the XP OS, the computer was rebooted into Win 7 OS. When the dual boot OS systems were installed, the installation was made so that Win XP files could be accessed while in the Win 7 OS. My DVD was opened in Win 7 and then the files in XP were browsed looking for the VHS to DVD file. This file was found and loaded into MyDVD/Win 7 and was first reviewed to see if it worked okay, where upon it was successfully burned to DVD. The results were excellent.

I wouldn't bother pursuing this any further since VHS to DVD and also Video Capture work just fine in Win XP, which is what I intend to use when converting the balance of my VHS tapes. Thanks for your attention to the VHS to DVD in Win 7 dilemma.

Posted to Creator 2011 because VHS to DVD was installed when Creator 2011 was installed

Creator 2011 is one program.

Easy VHS to DVD is a completely different program!

What program are we talking about in this thread?

Definitely describing VHS to DVD. Since the program was installed along with Creator 2011, I just never thought of it as a stand alone program. Sorry by posting under Creator 2011. Since you raised

the point, I did browse the forum and did see a separate forum for VHS to DVD. By the way, I also took the time to check the files on my Roxio Creator 2011 install disk. It shows the file VHSTODVD_20,dated 7/2/2010. As previously stated, I wouldn't bother with trying to solve the issue as I am happy to continue transferring my VHS tapes within Win XP. In fact, the suite of programs, such as

VideoWave, My DVD, and Video Copy & Convert, and now VHS to DVD, appear to be more stable operating in Win XP rather than Win 7. In Win 7, Video Copy & Convert and VHS to DVD appear to be the most

unstable. Uncertain about the other programs because they are seldom if ever used.

Thanks again for the responses.

Obviously something wrong with your W7 install. Have you done any W7 updates since beginning of February?

I am not aware of C2011 coming with a V2D full blown program!

Wouldn't make much sense C2011 has capture video and videowave.

I am aware of Roxio Creator 2011 Special Edition With Vhs To DVD Adapter, link here.

User Brendon PM'd me and thinks the C13 means C2011 so your C2011 SE probably came bundled with V2D?

Brendon also thinks and at this point I agree with him,

"I suspect the rest of his problem (twin pictures capturing under W7) might be because of his twin-boot setup. The software could be failing to stop the XP driver when he boots in W7, so when capturing under Win 7 he has both the XP and Win 7 drivers running - each trying to capture a picture."

Outerbank, is your dual boot used with a Boot loader Boot Manager? Or are they completely separate, different hard drives only one hard drive hooked up when the XP was installed or W-7 was installed?

The Creator software installed on the computer is Creator 2011 SE. The software was advertised and bundled with the Roxio USB capture device as shown in cdanteek's link. The dual boot system consists

of two separate hard drives, with XP OS on one and Win 7 on the other. When the XP OS was installed, only one HD was connected. When Win 7 was installed, the XP HD was disconnected. The computer

automatically boots up into Win 7 when it is turned on. Boot up into XP is accomplished through the Bios by holding down the F10 key. This then opens up a screen showing the two hard drives. To

open XP, the hard drive upon which it is installed is selected and then the "Enter" key is pressed. If indeed the software (Which? The Win 7 or Creator 2011) is failing to stop the XP driver while

in Win 7 OS, wouldn't that also be in play while operating other programs within the Creator suite, or for that matter other software programs that are installed on both operating systems? Thus far,

the only program that seems not to function as intended is VHS to DVD and Video Capture. I suppose the easiest and simple way to determine if there is a conflict between the two drivers is to disconnect

the XP hard drive and then run VHS to DVD in Win 7.

I have no idea what the question about "Have you done any W 7 updates since beginning in February" means or its relevance? Sure I've done some selective updates. Is this question pertinent to a

specific update or several updates, or is the question speculative? Is there something wrong with the Win 7 install? Possibly. However, at this juncture and based on using Win 7 since it was

installed, nothing has occurred that suggests there might be a problem.

Instead of using the V2D program have you used C2011, Video Movies, Capture Video?

post-97-0-66277800-1458660846_thumb.jpg

Yes, I have tried Roxio Media Import/Capture as you suggest. It also displays the same problem. I did disconnect the XP hard drive and attempt the VHS capture in both VHS to DVD and Roxio Media Import/Capture. Continues to be the same problem. That is, the jerky, double image. Consequently, there must not be any driver conflict between the two OSs. By the way, I find that Roxio Media Import/Capture is a far better method of transferring VHS to digital. It offers more options to correct the images. Finally decided to use this method rather than VHS to DVD.

I have C2011 Pro W-7 X64 Ultimate image and don't experience the jerky, double image capturing with Roxio C2011 Pro Import Capture Video.

Outerbank, Hi again,

You have your practical solution - Use the XP version - but thank you for staying with us to answer the other questions raised.

I forgot that you have your Operating Systems set up in the sensible manner, one per hard drive. I was thinking clunky dual boot through a Boot Mangler. (my long-term memory again :lol: )

-So it is Creator 2011 SE - I wish Roxio would stop 'slicing and dicing' their software suites. Now we know what is in that suite. Thank you.

All that's left now, is that capture is not working well on your Win 7 drive.

So do you have a Creator installation on each drive, and the problem is with the Win 7 one? Since it is affecting both Media Import/Capture and VHS 2 DVD I would suspect a capture device driver-level problem in your Win 7 installation. That would explain the symptoms. The question now is probably do you want to invest more time to try and find a solution for Win 7, or would you rather just get back to digitizing the precious things using your XP?

Regards,

Brendon

• Like 1