• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Toast 6.1.1 Locks Up At Same Place During Dvd Copy

mojoprime

Question

well, i've tried everything i can think of with no luck. hopefully, you guys can help.

i'm trying to dupe a dvd -- not a movie, just data -- and every time toast gets to about 2/3 of the way through on writing track one, it just hangs, requiring a force quit, like someone else posted about a week ago.

i've tried apple media (4x) and maxell (8x), and even cranked the speed down with no luck. i'm using 10.4.4 on a MDD G4 2GB with panansonic dvr-109 being the recorder and the stock dvd-cdr combo drive being the source drive.

i'm at a loss. seems like it used to work fine, but i haven't tried to dupe data dvds since upgrading to 10.4.4. i'm watching the frozen progress right now -- stuck at 3:21. it still seems to be doing something, but it's been sitting at this spot for about 15 minutes. seems like the recording even at the very beginning was going pretty slow, i.e., it may be counting down the seconds, but each second on the toast meter actually takes 5 or 6 in the real world.

is 6.1.1 not compatible with 10.4.4? i tried a quick burn from the finder, and it worked ok. hated wasting the discs, but i needed to make3 sure it wasn't the hardware.

any help would be appreciated. thanks!

3 answers to this question

here's an update. i checked the system log and i am continuously getting the following error:

kernel [0]: SAM Mulitmedia: READ or WRITE failed, ASC = 0x11, ASCQ = 0x00

kernel [0]: disc3: I/O error.

i just keeps writing these six entried over and over again. does this help?

This is outside my area of expertise, but have you tried Save as Disc Image from the Toast File menu rather than clicking the burn button? That writes an image file to the hard drive which you then can burn to DVD using the Image File setting in the Copy window.

Also, have you tested this with a different source DVD? One possibility is that the source DVD has some surface problem or other error that is stalling the reading of the disc.

This is outside my area of expertise, but have you tried Save as Disc Image from the Toast File menu rather than clicking the burn button? That writes an image file to the hard drive which you then can burn to DVD using the Image File setting in the Copy window.

Also, have you tested this with a different source DVD? One possibility is that the source DVD has some surface problem or other error that is stalling the reading of the disc.

Thanks for the reponse. Does the buring process make a valid DVD, or just a DVD with an image on it?

wow. that worked just fine. never thought of doing it that way before. i wonder why that worked, and the other didn't. i even flashed the firmaware on my drive this morning to see if that helped.

thanks for your help! really!

Archived