Question

So I'm having some major issues. Most recent (10 mins ago) I was recording some game play and wanted to change the file name to keep my stuff organized. I changed the file name and it switched the file to a M2TS file. Now I can't edit it at all. Why is that even a thing? I open videowave and try to open and edit the file and their no longer DMSM. Why? I looked into converting the file back to DSMS but couldn't find anything.

Second, the editor crashes when I try and save, when I try to ad an image, when I try to trim audio. Sometimes it just crashes at random times. I think the worst of it is when I try to save a file. That's really not good. It took me two days of fighting with this program just to get one 15 min video complete.

I have the latest version and have tried repairs and re-installs. What gives?

2 answers to this question

Your post is very confusing since you don't really explain what you did. How and why did you change the filename? Changing a filename does not change the m2ts extension unless you did that also.

A dmsm file is not a video file but is the Videowave project file. It contains no video whatsoever but simply a list of instructions of how to create your project and what your project contains.

Please explain exactly what you are doing.

If you change the extension of the video file, the DMSM cannot possibly find it, so it won't work! Another thing that will break a DMSM file is to Move the location of a file that is in it.

You posted in 'Game Capture for Consoles' (discontinued), is that what you actually have? There is the current Game Capture in both Standard as well as Pro HD. - these do all their captures in m2ts

When it comes to the GamCap for Consoles I have no idea what format it captures in...

But I do know that Windows File Explorer WILL NOT change the extension of any file you rename!!! You have to do that yourself.

If you used a file converter, then it had a format setting of m2ts.

Plenty to chew on now, so do that and get back to us ;)