• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

baleen.blanco

Capturing Video From A Canon Hv30 Camcorder.

Question

after watching a short clip on you tube showing a Roxio game-cap hd pro being used to capture video from a camcorder that couldn't be directly connected to a pc because it had no usb output. The clip showed that a connection could be made if a jack plug was connected to the AV socket and the connectors were connected in this fashion to the Roxio unit, red and white audio connectors plugged into their respective sockets, and the yellow plug was connected to the green video input socket. I pressed the start capture button, which lit up green, i pressed play on the camcorder and started to record images. After a few seconds I turned the camera off and pressed the red button on the screen to stop recording. I had managed to record a few seconds of what I had intended to record but it was in black and white and fairly low definition. I tried to repeat recording some more video but couldn't get anything except a blank screen, and the status as "no signal" in red. I looked at the suggestions concerning what could be wrong but couldn't make head nor tail of them. Is there anybody out there who could suggest anything in idiot laymans terms so that I can sort out whats wrong. Thanks in advance for all help given, BB.

5 answers to this question

after watching a short clip on you tube showing a Roxio game-cap hd pro being used to capture video from a camcorder that couldn't be directly connected to a pc because it had no usb output. The clip showed that a connection could be made if a jack plug was connected to the AV socket and the connectors were connected in this fashion to the Roxio unit, red and white audio connectors plugged into their respective sockets, and the yellow plug was connected to the green video input socket. I pressed the start capture button, which lit up green, i pressed play on the camcorder and started to record images. After a few seconds I turned the camera off and pressed the red button on the screen to stop recording. I had managed to record a few seconds of what I had intended to record but it was in black and white and fairly low definition. I tried to repeat recording some more video but couldn't get anything except a blank screen, and the status as "no signal" in red. I looked at the suggestions concerning what could be wrong but couldn't make head nor tail of them. Is there anybody out there who could suggest anything in idiot laymans terms so that I can sort out whats wrong. Thanks in advance for all help given, BB.

This should help you. It was 2 topics below yours. :blink:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/121641-picture-records-in-black-and-white/

after watching a short clip on you tube showing a Roxio game-cap hd pro being used to capture video from a camcorder that couldn't be directly connected to a pc because it had no usb output. The clip showed that a connection could be made if a jack plug was connected to the AV socket and the connectors were connected in this fashion to the Roxio unit, red and white audio connectors plugged into their respective sockets...

This is not possible in anyway, shape or form!!!

For the capture device to work it must be connected to a PC that has the software install...

That RGC Device must be connected by a USB cable to said PC...

You must have misunderstood what the Video was saying/showing as far as the capture. Possible the author of that video was making a spoof. (some boneheads seem to enjoy doing that)

As far as Composite input you might want to try what I wrote here - it is a completely untested theory and I don't know when I will have the time to test it :lol:

Edited by Jim_Hardin

Baleen I have an HV 30 and only tried a couple short test clips, but it seemed to work OK. But what Jim said in Post #3

For the capture device to work it must be connected to a PC that has the software install...

That RGC Device must be connected by a USB cable to said PC.

and like Jim and Dave said (in the link Bruce provided), use component cables instead of composite cables. I used the Component cable and audio cable that came with the camera. I also was able to capture with a random HDMI cable. Refer to page 68 in the HV30 manual if you aren't sure how to connect the cables to the camera. Then connect the other ends following the directions in the Roxio Quick Start Guide that came with Game Capture HD Pro, just substitute the HV30 for the game console in the pictures.
Can you post the link to the youtube video?
Edited by karri

I hope so, Jim. This could helpful to HV30 owners who don't have a firewire port on their pc. I don't know if too many pcs come with them anymore. I had them add one in on the last pc I bought, in case I ever needed to recapture an old HV30/40 tape. This might be another option.