outerbank

Removing Section Of Video

Question

Created a single video from several Super 8mm movie clips that were transferred to digital using Capture Video. Have not done this procedure previously, but I want to remove/delete a section of the video that is within one of the clips. The section of the video to be removed is a little over 1 minute in length. The video is advanced to the starting point of the section to be removed and then the "Split Selected Item" button is clicked. Next, the end point of the selected scene is chosen and the "Split Selected Item" is clicked again. The following message appears, "The selected item cannot be split at this position, because one or both of the resulting items would be too small". Evidently, the section that is intended to be removed is too small, because the amount of video preceding the starting point, and the amount of video that occurs after the end point could not be considered too small. So is there an alternative method to remove a little more that one minute of video beside doing a capture video and stopping the capture at the starting point of the scene that is not wanted and then starting capture again just after the scene? By the way, I tried the Trim feature, but didn't get the desired results.

8 answers to this question

My solution would be to use the Trim feature as follows.

Add your video into your project twice. On the first instance of the video, go into the "Trim" panel, and set the end point to the beginning of the bit of video you want to eliminate.

On the second instance of the video, open the Trim option and set the start point at the end of the bit of video you want to eliminate.

When you export that, or write it to disc (or disc image, or folder set) the offending bit won't be included. You could also put in a transition there if you wanted to.

Edited by d_deweywright
fix spelling error.

Did you get 3 segments after you did the 2nd split? If not then you did the split incorrectly. There is no problem creating segments of a 1mnute or so; in fact you can split down to 10 seconds or so.

The error message you got is most likely because you did not select the video segment you wanted to split before you applied the split.

The trim method suggested by Dave will of course work and is mostly used when trying to remove a section of only a few frames but only at the beginning or end of a video segment

Edited by myguggi

Thanks for your reply about getting 3 segments after performing the second split. I've reviewed instructions about performing the split, but what has been described is not completely clear, at least to me. Taking your description for example, the error message was probably related to my not selecting the video segment to be split. Not sure what or how this is done?

Let's start with the beginning of the video segment that is to be split/removed from the video preceding the split. Presumably, the next step is to make a split at the end of the segment of video to be

split from the end of the video. What's left between the splits is the segment of the video to be deleted. How does one proceed from this point to get rid of the segment? How is it deleted?

Simply select the segment to be deleted and delete it by hitting the delete key or clicking on the delete icon

To do any operation (such as splitting, delete) the segment has to be first selected on the timeline.

Got it. What is confusing is what is left behind after splitting and deleting. It appears that one frame of the video segment that was deleted still shows up in Timeline. When the same thing happened after a first attempt at deleting the video segment, I thought that the removal had not occurred. That's when I posted my question on the forum. It may be possible that the splitting and deletion was done correctly, but I didn't think it worked.

Thanks for the help.

What do you mean by one frames was left behind? Do you mean you still have 3 segments showing on the timeline (or 3 panels in the storyboard)?

It isn't worth the time to make an attempt at explaining what is left behind after deleting the segment of the video. The bottom line is that the segment has been successfully removed. Whatever is

left behind it doesn't affect the appearance of the video at this point and location. I did view that YouTube video. It's okay as far as it goes. Would be better if it was more in-depth.