DanaGardner

Mixed Content Pal/ntsc

Question

I am a brand new user who is trying to make basic home video discs from videos captured on our iPhones. When I go to burn my disc it tells me I have mixed NTSC and PAL files. The first time I tried to burn, I just ignored the message and burned the disc. It did not play in my DVD player (error message"playback prohibited by area limitations". I did some digging online and saw some people suggesting to change the preferences to NTSC format, which I did, but I still got the same error message. Am I going to be able to make a disc after changing the preference to NTSC that can play in a DVD player? All these files are from IPhones, I do not understand why the formats would be different? I am in the USA.

Edited by DanaGardner

22 answers to this question

I just figured out the issue on this disc is just one video, us singing for my baby's 2nd birthday. I don't know why this one video is the only one that is PAL. When I delete it from the list of files in Toast for the disc, I get no error message and can burn the disc and I assume it would play on a DVD player. Now my dilemma is, how to I make it possible to include this one minute PAL birthday video on the disc?

I have a few videos which appear normal when you open them on my iPhone, on the computer, etc. But when I put them into Toast 15 they are upside down or sideways. Can you please explain to a novice who just started using this software how to rectify this?

Unfortunately, Toast just barks at mixed NTSC/PAL content, without offering a solution -- unlike when ALL content differs from the set preference.

This second behavior also shows one possible manual way to deal with this: Set Toast up with just the clips in the wrong standard. Save as Disc Image (which you'll delete later). Toast should alert you about the mismatch and offer to re-encode to the other standard. Toast will create temporary files of the converted items (~/Documents/Roxio Converted Items/), and these can be re-used for you intended disc with all clips. These temporary files will be elementary streams, i.e. separate video and audio files, but that's fine for re-authoring: just add the video file and toast will find the matching audio file if it is in the same folder. Depending on your preference settings, Toast may optionally delete these temporary files, so move the files if you intend to Quit Toast before authoring the complete disc with all clips (original NTSC clips plus converted clips).

Thank you for your help. I am a real novice and first time user. I will try the above this weekend and see if I can get this one special video on the disc.

Do you know why the format would have varied on just one video when they were all taken with the same IPhone device? So strange.

I also have another question about a couple of upside down videos (no idea why this happened and they look fine in preview but when you burn the disc, they are then upside down!) - you seem to be very knowledgeable, would you be able to answer that question? I sincerely appreciate your help in getting these precious family memories properly documented. :)

http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/122089-rotate-a-video/

Edited by DanaGardner

I'm a Windows guy but in Videowave there is a rotate icon at the top.

post-97-0-94312200-1469109724_thumb.jpg

Embarrassed but how do I get to the video editor from the main screen?

I don't own a Mac or have Toast 15 installed.

From the main interface of the Software is there a video tab?

After clicking that is there a edit video edit video advanced?

It is a built in function of QuickTime Player - HERE

Might also try that on your PAL issue in your other Topic too ;)

(curious, can you look at the properties for that PAL file? PAL is 720 X 576 and only found in DVD or VCD)

Let us know what you find on that QT solution ~ we are PC guys who have not gone over to the Dark Side :lol: But we are trying to help out here.

Do you know why the format would have varied on just one video when they were all taken with the same IPhone device? So strange.

The latest version of iOS Camera.app films at 30 fps (as in NTSC), regardless of NTSC/PAL standard in whatever country the iPhone/iPad is used/registered/set for. I don't know how to check if it was always like that or if it was optional before.

Could it be that this PAL clip was imported into a desktop editing app that possibly may have converted it to PAL on import as an overlooked setting?

It is a built in function of QuickTime Player - HERE

Might also try that on your PAL issue in your other Topic too ;)

(curious, can you look at the properties for that PAL file? PAL is 720 X 576 and only found in DVD or VCD)

Let us know what you find on that QT solution ~ we are PC guys who have not gone over to the Dark Side :lol: But we are trying to help out here.

Can you explain how to do it with Quicktime? I do not follow. Thanks!

Is the orientation right when opened in QuickTime Player, or is it rotated the same as you experience in Toast?

You may rotate clips in QuickTime Player in steps of 90° (Edit menu). Save the clip, or if you attempt to close the window afterwards, QTP will aks for a new name (and location) and save the rotated clip. Then add these altered clips to Toast.

First, did you Look and Follow the Link I included?

Do the pictures there match up with your Quick Time Player?

I looked at QT Help and there are some differences however... My version is for Windows and at least in that, QT Pro is needed to do that.

A web search shows other software that will do this so if you can't find it in QT check out some of those ;)

Keep us updated on your progress.

I took the liberty of combining the 2 competing Topics.

Just too confusing trying to address the PAL/Rotate in two different places -_-

Is the orientation right when opened in QuickTime Player, or is it rotated the same as you experience in Toast?

You may rotate clips in QuickTime Player in steps of 90° (Edit menu). Save the clip, or if you attempt to close the window afterwards, QTP will aks for a new name (and location) and save the rotated clip. Then add these altered clips to Toast.

In Quicktime the orientation is correct, not the wrong way like Toast is burning it.

In Quicktime the orientation is correct, not the wrong way like Toast is burning it.

ROTATE IT ANYWAY and use the 'new' one in Toast...

Can you create a Copy of one?

Then rotate the Copy and Save it. See how it comes out then but you still would have the other should it not work ;)

I did see a couple of software offerings that include Rotate. Both have trial downloads and I have used one of them (NCH PC versions) but they are in the $40 range... I am a little turned off by buying software to do something and then having to buy more to get the first one to work :huh:

In any case here are two:

NCH

MOAVI

You should do some more searching as there may be a free version out there.

Let us know ;)