edgar0002

Problem Burning Blu-Ray Discs

Question

I recently purchased roxio toast 15 a couple of days ago with the purpose to burn blu-ray movies. I am new to this program and I am having difficulties getting it to work for me. I work making videos for weddings and I use Final Cut Pro X to do all my editing. Normally I give the videos to my clients through a usb or link but I have been getting asked for Blu-Ray discs, so I decided to buy Toast to give it a try. I purchased Toast 15 and the blu-ray plug in. Through final cut, I export my movies in blu-ray format on to my hard drive. Once this is done, it creates a BDMV folder with the movie file and a certificate folder. I then open Toast and drag the movie file in Blu-Ray mode. I can preview the movie in Toast so I know its working there. I then hit burn and it goes through the whole process fine until it says my disc is complete. When I eject the disc and insert it in my Blu-ray player to watch on my tv, it says the disc is not a Blu-ray disc and it does not read it. I am not able to play it back on my Blu-ray player on my tv or on my computer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am kind of in a bind and need to get these videos to my clients fast. I am working with an iMac computer and an LG BP50NB40 external Blu-ray writer.

16 answers to this question

Did you use the setting: Video mode > BDMV Folder ? (page 45 in the User Guide)

If so, then you did everything correctly, as far as I can tell.

Just making sure that you didn't create a Data disc with an unintended file system accidentally.

Please look at the File/Folder structure on the Burned BD. It should look like this:

post-39730-0-70943900-1472748947_thumb.jpg

Your movies in Stream.

Keep in mind that my example has some extra things (pic or data) that I added for another project ;)

Did you use the setting: Video mode > BDMV Folder ? (page 45 in the User Guide)

If so, then you did everything correctly, as far as I can tell.

Just making sure that you didn't create a Data disc with an unintended file system accidentally.

The first time I tried it, I used the Blu-ray disc mode, then I tried it with the BDMV folder and I got the same result with both of them.

Please look at the File/Folder structure on the Burned BD. It should look like this:

attachicon.gifBD Folder Structure.jpg

Your movies in Stream.

Keep in mind that my example has some extra things (pic or data) that I added for another project ;)

My disc has a BDMV file and a certificate folder, however my Blu-ray playing program cant open it, neither can my xbox one hooked up to my tv.

My disc has a BDMV file and a certificate folder, however my Blu-ray playing program cant open it, neither can my xbox one hooked up to my tv.

If your disc does not have the structure I showed it isn't going to work!

Playable movie discs, DVD, BD or AVCHD are not just a collection of files slapped on a disc!

The disc must be Authored in a standard format that is used by Players.

You need to list the steps you took, in detail, from the beginning until finished. It is the details that will show the answer ;)

Here are the steps I am taking;

1. I am sharing the file from Final Cut Pro X as a Blu-ray.

2.Final Cut then makes a Blu-ray file, which when opened, contains a BDMV file and a Certificate folder. (this is playable on my computer as a Blu-ray)

3. I then open Toast 15 under the Blu-ray option under BDMV folder. (I have downloaded the plug in)

4. I then drag and drop both the BDMV file and the Certificate folder in Toast.

5. I then hit Burn and it goes through the whole process.

6. Once it is finished, I open the disc and it contains the BDMV file and the Certificate folder but I am no longer able to open it and play it on my computer.

I am new to burning Blu-ray discs so I am obviously doing something wrong here, I greatly appreciate all the help. Thank you

If you look at Jim's image, you need to have a BDMV folder (not file), and inside that folder there should be more folders, as listed below:

AUXDATA

BACKUP

BDJO

CLIPINF

JAR

META

PLAYLIST

STREAM

Inside the STREAM folder, should be .m2ts files, which are the actual movie files.

Does your BDMV folder contain the folders listed above? And does the STREAM folder contain .m2ts files?

If you look at Jim's image, you need to have a BDMV folder (not file), and inside that folder there should be more folders, as listed below:

AUXDATA

BACKUP

BDJO

CLIPINF

JAR

META

PLAYLIST

STREAM

Inside the STREAM folder, should be .m2ts files, which are the actual movie files.

Does your BDMV folder contain the folders listed above? And does the STREAM folder contain .m2ts files?

AAhh I got you now, sorry.

No I have what looks like an image, and when I open it, it gives me a BDMV image file and a Certificate folder. That's where my problem is then. If I export as a quicktime movie from final cut, would I be able to burn that onto a playable Blu-ray disc through Toast?

Unfortunately, I'm not a Toast nor Mac user. It sounds like you need to convert/extract your image file to it's component folders and files, and write those to disc. How that might be achieved, I'm not sure, but you need that full folder structure that's shown above when you look at the disc.

Unfortunately, I'm not a Toast nor Mac user. It sounds like you need to convert/extract your image file to it's component folders and files, and write those to disc. How that might be achieved, I'm not sure, but you need that full folder structure that's shown above when you look at the disc.

Thanks for your help, I will see if I can figure out how to extract or get my folders to have the same structure as the above.

The BDMV file is actually a folder, with the regular blu-ray contents. Some part of the OS (for at least since 10.8) recognizes it (like a file–program association) and makes the Mac OS Finder show it as a “package” (in the same way that a Mac application may contain several files and subfolders). You may choose to view the content by right-clicking / control-clicking the icon, and see “inside”.

I am however unsure how this relates to the original issue, as Toast should deal with this transparently in order to make it functional for *anyone*. (I don't have a BD burner to test.) Puzzling!

The BDMV file is actually a folder, with the regular blu-ray contents. Some part of the OS (for at least since 10.8) recognizes it (like a file–program association) and makes the Mac OS Finder show it as a “package” (in the same way that a Mac application may contain several files and subfolders). You may choose to view the content by right-clicking / control-clicking the icon, and see “inside”.

I am however unsure how this relates to the original issue, as Toast should deal with this transparently in order to make it functional for *anyone*. (I don't have a BD burner to test.) Puzzling!

Yes, that's exactly what I did, I was able to open the contents of the BDMV image and I get to the folders. It is the exact format as Jim described. Is it the m2ts file in the stream folder that I should drag and drop in Toast?

I'm new to the forum. I just started burning Blu Ray discs myself. Here's what I would suggest:

Apple doesn't really support Blu Ray for some weird reason, so I wouldn't trust Final Cut Pro (which I use) to make the blu ray disc.

Under "Export", export your timeline as a Quicktime movie, HDV1080p 24. This can be archived as your master if you want to save it forever.

In Toast, under "Video", start a "Blu-ray Video". Add markers, etc. Then burn a BDMV folder. Toast will do the actual processing instead of FCP and create a folder. Then when you want to actually burn a disc, switch to "BDMV Folder" and drag the folder into it.

This should work fine.