• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Roxio Backup Isn't Very Good At All.

joethezombie

Question

OK. So I backup a bunch of data using Roxio Backup. Upon restore, it re-creates the data inside of a folder called $BAK001$\D_000. This folder was never on my HDD, so why was data restored there?

I reinstalled my system, then restored the data. Then I had to manually move the files to the correct position becuase of the above problem. Lovely.

Finally, I can no longer do incremental backups because Roxio Backup doesn't restore the Project, only the data. Well, that's just great... now on the next backup I will have to re-burn 4 DVD's of data that are already on DVD before getting to any new files. Wasted time, and wasted media... Why is the project not restored? Grrr....

Simply put, this application is complete garbage. You'd be better off just manually burning the files to disc, and restoring using windows explorer. I can't believe I paid for this.

11 answers to this question

I am trying out Roxio backup and it told me that the path name was too long and the files may not restore properly. I don't understand the need for the software to add onto the path!

Can you go in and restore selected files from the backup discs? Do you need the roxio software to read the discs?

Does Roxio have moderators for these forums?

I am trying out Roxio backup and it told me that the path name was too long and the files may not restore properly. I don't understand the need for the software to add onto the path!

Can you go in and restore selected files from the backup discs? Do you need the roxio software to read the discs?

Does Roxio have moderators for these forums?

These are peer to peer forums, not Tech Support.

You need to set the Properties for your to UDF, No Bridge otherwise the Joliet File System will hamper your efforts.

Use extra caution while learning to use backup software! Use some RW media and practice/test Restore until you are comfortable with the program.

The said software is not junk.

Are you saying that a backup facility that creates odd directory structures that did not originally exist, requires the user to manually move files to the correct location, and renders the entire backup set non-usable because the project isn't recovered; good software? I certainly don't-- I call it junk.

Then use Backup MYPC. It is a far better backup software that Roxio Backup and included with EMC 8.

I'll give it a shot, but by just reading the documentation, I doubt a "simple backup" using bMYPC will function any differently than Roxio Backup. It is geared to doing an entire system restore, which I do not wish to do. I will experiment, as the "compare" function may prove to be valuable.

OK. So I backup a bunch of data using Roxio Backup. Upon restore, it re-creates the data inside of a folder called $BAK001$\D_000. This folder was never on my HDD, so why was data restored there?

I reinstalled my system, then restored the data. Then I had to manually move the files to the correct position becuase of the above problem. Lovely.

Finally, I can no longer do incremental backups because Roxio Backup doesn't restore the Project, only the data. Well, that's just great... now on the next backup I will have to re-burn 4 DVD's of data that are already on DVD before getting to any new files. Wasted time, and wasted media... Why is the project not restored? Grrr....

Simply put, this application is complete garbage. You'd be better off just manually burning the files to disc, and restoring using windows explorer. I can't believe I paid for this.

If you were paying for a restore type program, then you would have been better off buying a dedicated program like Norton Ghost. I use Ghost for backing up my hard drive, and I use EMC 7.5 and 8 for a multitude of other things outside of backups.

If you were paying for a restore type program, then you would have been better off buying a dedicated program like Norton Ghost. I use Ghost for backing up my hard drive, and I use EMC 7.5 and 8 for a multitude of other things outside of backups.

I payed for a package that included a backup utility. If I only wanted file writing capability, I could have stuck with the software that came with the drive. The whole reason for purchasing EMC8 is the plethora of software that comes with it. If that said software is junk, then I have indeed wasted my money. If the package states it contains a backup/restore facility, I fully expect it to work.

I payed for a package that included a backup utility. If I only wanted file writing capability, I could have stuck with the software that came with the drive. The whole reason for purchasing EMC8 is the plethora of software that comes with it. If that said software is junk, then I have indeed wasted my money. If the package states it contains a backup/restore facility, I fully expect it to work.

Then use Backup MYPC. It is a far better backup software that Roxio Backup and included with EMC 8.

Anyway, I've been experimenting with bMYPC, and it looks like it has the functionality to read the "catalog" off the backup media-- hopefully preserving the backup-set for future use. Let's cross our fingers.

Backup My PC should do it right... this was the original Seagate Backup which then became Veritas Backup Exec.

-- John

Sounds like you did a cross-restore - i.e. restored to a different location. You have to specify that you want to restore to the original location.

Sounds like you did a cross-restore - i.e. restored to a different location. You have to specify that you want to restore to the original location.

Why do I have to restore to the original location? That drive letter no longer exists on the new configuration, so I directed the application to restore to an alternate location. Instead of the files being restored there, they were created in odd folders that never existed; causing the user to manually move all the files. Ugh.

Anyway, I've been experimenting with bMYPC, and it looks like it has the functionality to read the "catalog" off the backup media-- hopefully preserving the backup-set for future use. Let's cross our fingers.

The said software is not junk.

Archived