• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
Ben

Temporary Hard Disk Storage(urgent!)

Question

Hi.I am using the recordnow copy dvd to copy my files with one burner drive.After copying some disc i found out that my harddisc space has decrease e by some.Can someone please tell me where are the temporary files stored in the hard disc and how can i remove them to free up the space in my harddisc.thank you

7 answers to this question

Usually the data is deleted automatically when an exact copy fails. What is indicating that the data was not removed?

The data is usually located in the following location but it can differ from version to version. Check here first: C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin Jamieson\Application Data\Sonic\RecordNow! (Of course your folder will not be Kevin Jamieson because that is my username)

You may have to go to Tools, Folder options, View, Show hidden Files and Folders and press OK.

If that didn't find the file, I'd like you to search your hard drive for the file. Please go to Start, Search, All files and Folders on your main drive, and search for *.*, that is, asterisk period asterisk. This will find every file on your computer. Now in this window select View, Details. Now click on the Size column label on top of the listed files. You may have to move the scroll bar over to see it. You want to sort so that the largest files are on top, just keep hitting size. Because the temp file will be 2gb, it should be one of the largest files on the computer and therefore one of the first things in the list. The path to the file should make it obvious but if you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask.

Usually the data is deleted automatically when an exact copy fails. What is indicating that the data was not removed?

The data is usually located in the following location but it can differ from version to version. Check here first: C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin Jamieson\Application Data\Sonic\RecordNow! (Of course your folder will not be Kevin Jamieson because that is my username)

You may have to go to Tools, Folder options, View, Show hidden Files and Folders and press OK.

If that didn't find the file, I'd like you to search your hard drive for the file. Please go to Start, Search, All files and Folders on your main drive, and search for *.*, that is, asterisk period asterisk. This will find every file on your computer. Now in this window select View, Details. Now click on the Size column label on top of the listed files. You may have to move the scroll bar over to see it. You want to sort so that the largest files are on top, just keep hitting size. Because the temp file will be 2gb, it should be one of the largest files on the computer and therefore one of the first things in the list. The path to the file should make it obvious but if you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks for your help.I could find he application data but the file RecordNow! could not be found in the folder i found.I also could not find the temp folder and files using the second method and the files i found were not that large.Could you help me find the way and my hard disc space has dropped from 20G to only 6G now after i used the RecordNow! for sometime.Could you also tell me how i can check the version of RecordNow! i am using.Thanks!

If Record Now was causing this space problem due to it not deleting the images of the exact copy the files would be huge, bigger than 400 mb, the size of the discs copied. The second method of searching for *.* brings up every single file on your hard drive, sorting by size will rank them in size. It's much more likely your space is being taken up by several large files rather than thousands of small files but if it is an issue of lots of small files then thats just regular use of your computer. Is it possible that this is just a regular space issue?

Your version, or build number, will show up on the bottom of the splash screen that shows up every time you launch the program. It's a several character string like 700CB8. I just made that up but it should look something like that.

If Record Now was causing this space problem due to it not deleting the images of the exact copy the files would be huge, bigger than 400 mb, the size of the discs copied. The second method of searching for *.* brings up every single file on your hard drive, sorting by size will rank them in size. It's much more likely your space is being taken up by several large files rather than thousands of small files but if it is an issue of lots of small files then thats just regular use of your computer. Is it possible that this is just a regular space issue?

I just realized that I have this problem as well. I have a 80GB HD, and it took me a while to realize my diskspace is not free up after copying a DVD.

The above method (both), did not help at all. There's no temp file found, and searching all files don't reveal anything that's taken by RecordNow.

What's the problem with this software???

What i have seen is that, for some reason, the files that generates with the "exact copy" option, does not appear, but usind the Diskdata application, i can see the temporary files it generates. The files are 2GB only, for example if you want to make a 4GB DVD image, it will create two temp files, 2GB each.

The files are extension gi, for example in my case the file names are: RN!33.tmp (1_0).gi and RN!33.tmp (1_1).gi

i found this files in C:\Documents and settings\<user>\Application Data\Sonic\Recordnow! folder

I hope you can free some space.

Regards.

eflores

What i have seen is that, for some reason, the files that generates with the "exact copy" option, does not appear, but usind the Diskdata application, i can see the temporary files it generates. The files are 2GB only, for example if you want to make a 4GB DVD image, it will create two temp files, 2GB each.

The files are extension gi, for example in my case the file names are: RN!33.tmp (1_0).gi and RN!33.tmp (1_1).gi

i found this files in C:\Documents and settings\<user>\Application Data\Sonic\Recordnow! folder

I hope you can free some space.

Regards.

eflores

Hi, i too have recently started using this program and have found the same problems, however i have tried to use your advice but seem unable to locate the files, everytime i put in the that domain i get a warning on screen telling me that area is unavailable, can you help please as i only have 2bg of memory left now, many thanks, dean.

Do a file search on your computer for *.GI

This should list all the .GI (Global Image) files on your system, and then you should be able to delete them.