• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Packrat

Windows installer keeps popping up

Question

I, too, had the problem of the Windows Installer popping up every time I tried to run any of the EMC8 programs, and discovered a solution to my problem.

First, a little background: I originally purchased the download version of EMC8 in December of 2005. At the time I was running Windows XP Home. I had all current MS updates installed.

Fastforward to today: I rebuilt my computer with Windows XP Pro SP2. I installed all current updates.

And therein lay the problem.

I followed many of the suggested solutions in this forum and now list them below:

Installed Windows Installer Clean Up utility, found here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;290301

Be sure to remove all Roxio and Sonic entries.

Manually deleted folders containing the Roxio and Sonic software, including the folders located at Program Files\Common Files\<ROXIO/SONIC> Shared\

Download and run REGSEEKER, removing all entries related to Roxio and Sonic, as pertain to EMC8. Repeat as necessary.

Go to Control Panel\Add or Remove Programs. Find and uninstall Windows Installer 3.1. (This will reinstall automatically the next time you go to Windows Update.)

After the reboot, install EMC8. Run the programs at least once (it may ask to install one time and reboot, but I don't recall exactly).

This is the only thing that worked for me. You MIGHT be able to just uninstall EMC8 normally, uninstall Windows Installer 3.1, and reinstall EMC8.

Let me know if this helps!

13 answers to this question

[When you said you 'add add the updates' did you by any chance install IE 7?

For some reason MS has decided that is a 'critical' update (which it isn't) and it does have a nasty habit of wrecking other software.

If you did install it, remove it and roll back to IE 6 if possible

I am having a really big problem with this Windows Installer popping up every time I start Roxio. I can't even run the program due the continuing loop, and it is doing it on both an old installation that was working fine until recently and on a new install on a different windows installation. I don't know what broke the Roxio program, but something certainly did. I thought I had it working with IE7 installed but am not sure. Is there anyone with a definitive answer to what causes it. I've tried deleting IE7 and will see if that helps. Has anyone had luck with the removal of IE7 fixing the problem? Several reinstalls of the program have not helped.

[When you said you 'add add the updates' did you by any chance install IE 7?

For some reason MS has decided that is a 'critical' update (which it isn't) and it does have a nasty habit of wrecking other software.

If you did install it, remove it and roll back to IE 6 if possible

Removing IE7 DID NOT solve the problem. I'm stumped by this. Has anyone sent a tech support request to Roxio about this? Or don't they do tech support?

I am having a really big problem with this Windows Installer popping up every time I start Roxio. I can't even run the program due the continuing loop, and it is doing it on both an old installation that was working fine until recently and on a new install on a different windows installation. I don't know what broke the Roxio program, but something certainly did. I thought I had it working with IE7 installed but am not sure. Is there anyone with a definitive answer to what causes it. I've tried deleting IE7 and will see if that helps. Has anyone had luck with the removal of IE7 fixing the problem? Several reinstalls of the program have not helped.

Would it be a good public relations thing for Roxio to contact Micosoft and come up with an easy patch for us that haven't decided which company to blame for our software fighting. May we just dump both companies and find others that we can trust to help us in a positive way. Instead of this lazy help from Roxio!

Roxio doesn't even have record of what I have bought from them. How can they help If they don't have sales records to help with support.

Would it be a good public relations thing for Roxio to contact Micosoft and come up with an easy patch for us that haven't decided which company to blame for our software fighting. May we just dump both companies and find others that we can trust to help us in a positive way. Instead of this lazy help from Roxio!

Roxio doesn't even have record of what I have bought from them. How can they help If they don't have sales records to help with support.

Gary: you have made two ranting posts and have posted nothing that could even construed as a question or beneficial comment.

Do you have a point or are you just bucking to get deleted?

I, too, had the problem of the Windows Installer popping up every time I tried to run any of the EMC8 programs, and discovered a solution to my problem.

First, a little background: I originally purchased the download version of EMC8 in December of 2005. At the time I was running Windows XP Home. I had all current MS updates installed.

Fastforward to today: I rebuilt my computer with Windows XP Pro SP2. I installed all current updates.

And therein lay the problem.

I followed many of the suggested solutions in this forum and now list them below:

Installed Windows Installer Clean Up utility, found here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;290301

Be sure to remove all Roxio and Sonic entries.

Manually deleted folders containing the Roxio and Sonic software, including the folders located at Program Files\Common Files\<ROXIO/SONIC> Shared\

Download and run REGSEEKER, removing all entries related to Roxio and Sonic, as pertain to EMC8. Repeat as necessary.

Go to Control Panel\Add or Remove Programs. Find and uninstall Windows Installer 3.1. (This will reinstall automatically the next time you go to Windows Update.)

After the reboot, install EMC8. Run the programs at least once (it may ask to install one time and reboot, but I don't recall exactly).

This is the only thing that worked for me. You MIGHT be able to just uninstall EMC8 normally, uninstall Windows Installer 3.1, and reinstall EMC8.

Let me know if this helps!

Thank you! This worked for me! In my case, the key was to uninstall Windows Installer 3.1, then reinstall EMC8.

Gary: you have made two ranting posts and have posted nothing that could even construed as a question or beneficial comment.

Do you have a point or are you just bucking to get deleted?

Uhm.... I bough Easy Media Creator sometime last year and installed it in my laptop and HP Pavilion ZX5000. The Window Installer kept popping up and untimatly it completely crashed my laptop. I then tried to install EMC 8 on my desktop at work but the same thing happened. I removed everything and gave up trying to use EMC8.

I bought a brand new computer for my wife (Xmas present) and figured I'll try again installing EMC8. Guess what? same problem.

So with all due respect, 3 different computers with different setup and the same problem!!! Roxio has not yet realized there is a problem? Most of the help is from user but where is Roxio customer support?

They sold me a program that does not work and i'm not happy about it.

ECM8 is garbage... pure and simple garbage.

They won't fool me again in buying their product.

OK - you are entitled to a rant - we're also entitled to ask:

Did you update the Windows Installer to the latest one?

Did you install IE7 and/or WMP11?

I dad the windows installer pop up problem for a year and tried every suggestion from Jan 5 2006 tp April 2006. I worked with Roxio's Technician and he gave up and finally said there wasn't anything else he could do and approved my money back. Roxio customer service would not return my money and said the go to the retailer I purchased it from, they said its been over 90 day so I just gave up. I had a major poblem on my 1.5 year old top of the line Dell and had to format my C drive and do a total install of Windows Media. In the install the first program I installed was Roxio 8. I then install other DVD program including a Sonic program. EVERYTHING WORKS AND ROXIO 8 is GREAT.

Frank Learman

Glad you got it sorted - something in the original install must have screwed it a bit

However - a word of advice: do NOT let the computer 'update' to Internet Explorer 7 and do NOT install Windows Media Player 11 ir you will be back at square 1

Also - update drivers from the card maker's website (especially the video ones) and NOT from Dell (they tend to be a bit behind the latest)

I think it may depend on many factors whether IE7 or Media Player 11 is a problem. I have both installed on current computer with Roxio 8 and have no pop up problems. But on my previous computer, I was having all kinds of trouble with the pop up, even with IE6 and Media Player 10.

Glad you got it sorted - something in the original install must have screwed it a bit

However - a word of advice: do NOT let the computer 'update' to Internet Explorer 7 and do NOT install Windows Media Player 11 ir you will be back at square 1

Also - update drivers from the card maker's website (especially the video ones) and NOT from Dell (they tend to be a bit behind the latest)

Believe me - that pair DO cause problems (if not now, they will at some point)

WMP11 has tightened up on DRM so don't be surprised if some previously woprking stuff stops working. IE7 madevsome fundamental changes to the OS that can (and do) mess up a lot of programs