waltwagner

Does Toast Convert 24/96 Wav Files When Burning Cd?

Question

My 24/96 .WAV mixes play back perfectly in QuickTime or iTunes. Toast's (TT v15.1) Audio CD window accepts these files, but playback from the window is crackly, and a burned CD sounds the same. No good!

I know the CD spec doesn't support 24/96, but isn't Toast supposed to be able to convert from that, to burn a CD?

5 answers to this question

I tried to replicate your issue, by downloading a sample 24 bit, 96 kHz audio file and creating a CD-DA disc image file (.Sd2f) from that with Toast.

Toast authored (and converted) the track to 16 bits, 44.1 kHz, and I couldn’t detect anything “crackly” about it, when listening to the result.

Note: If you make a ‘Music DVD’, then you could keep the audio as PCM 96 kHz 24 bit (custom encoding settings), and thus keep your mixes in high definition audio.

... if that is a viable option for what you plan to do, and if it is meaningful for the source files and the audio chain (player-receiver-speakers combo).

I tried to replicate your issue, by downloading a sample 24 bit, 96 kHz audio file and creating a CD-DA disc image file (.Sd2f) from that with Toast.

Toast authored (and converted) the track to 16 bits, 44.1 kHz, and I couldn’t detect anything “crackly” about it, when listening to the result.

Thanks for looking into this. Instead of "crackly" I probably should have said aliasing - that's what it sounds like to me. A steady, low-level, maddening static, i.e. that one would hear when the clock is not synced with the interface. I'm mystified, because, as I said, it's only upon playback/burning/making a disc image from Toast that this happens; from any other app it's fine. My (MOTU) interface is correctly set to 24/96. I get the static even if I omit the interface and just play through the built-in Mac soundboard.

I'm stumped. I keep feeling like there's one little detail I've missed...

Let’s try something. Can you detect the artefacts in my audio file? (file 24-96.wav is the source, file 16-44.wav is extracted from the Toast conversion.)

[i realize it may be a totally different kind of audio from yours, but that’s the free high res sample file I picked.]

As far as Toast preferences go, I had Enable dithering and Show advanced audio mastering settings both checked in the Audio tab. Probably the default.

Really appreciate your efforts, archiver. With your files, the music is so dynamic that you really have to listen hard, but the 24-96 file definitely has the noise (again, playing from the Toast window, not QT or iTunes), which is carried through to a burned disc. The 16-44.1 file has no noise. Arrrrr!

Now I know that it's not something weird that's happening with Digital Performer when I create my 24-96 files. So thanks for helping me rule that out.