• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Everything Great except DVDs jump on black parts of video

Tubford

Question

:)

I've got Media Creator 9, using MyDVD. I created a DVD of my old home videos. I just burned directly to disc from within MyDVD and the DVD plays fine on my computer. When I play it on either of my standalone DVD players everything looks great except for 1 thing : When ever there is a dark part of the video (e.g. credits, black screen with text) the disc judders. At all other time it is great. I have to fast forward through those sections but I was trying to work out what might cause this.

Is this likely to be a encoding issue ?

Thanks to anyone with any ideas.

I'm running W2K SP4, GeForce2 MX with the very latest NVIDIA drivers and a NEC 3550A Burner.

11 answers to this question

Thanks LArry, ggrussell. I probably wasn't clear in my previous post...

The DVD burned using my laptop with MyDVD 5.2, a NEC ND-5100A burner and NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 Video Adaptor works fine.

The DVD burned using Media Creater 9 MyDVD, my old GeForce 2MX, and NEC ND--3550A had the problem with skips whenever the screen is mostly black.

So... I put in a newer video card - a GeForce 6200 (256 Mb) - on my desktop but with that and the Media Creater 9 MyDVD and NEC ND--3550A it still has the same issue.

So - my question if anyone knows the answer is - how does MyDVD 5.2 encode DVD images differently from Media Creator 9 MyDVD ?

The DVD Media I am using in all tests (those that work and those that don't work on my standalone players) is TDK +R single sided.

As always thanks for the help....

The older versions of MyDVD haven't much in common with the latest. Sonic merged with Roxio a year or so ago and they released MyDVD 8 which was based on the Roxio's previous product called DVD Builder.

Have you tried buring to a video folder instead to a disc? That way you can test it with a software player before buring to a disc. In some cases, that seems to work better than burning directly to disc.

Unfortunately I'm a bit of a novice so don't understand much about the goings on.

The discs play fine on PowerDVD on my desktop, just not on my Sony DVP-NC600 or my JVC XV-N410B DVD players.

The thing that confuses me is that on my laptop I can burn the identical video file onto the identical media disk (TDK DVD+R) and I have no problem playing the DVD in my 2 DVD players. In fact the only reason I bought a new DVD Burner and EMC9 for my Dell Dimension 4100 desktop was to avoid having to copy all my video files to my laptop to burn DVDs each time :) ).

On my laptop which works I have XP, MyDVD 5.2, a NEC ND-5100A burner and NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 Video Adaptor).

Somehow it seems there is something different about the way the disc is being burned. I tried crested an .ISO image on my desktop and burned that but again got the same issue.

I don't have software on my laptop to burn an .ISO image but if anyone can recommend any freeware I'd like to try burning the .ISO generated on my desktop using the burner on my laptop. If that works I can rule out the burner and focus on the video adaptor and software.

Used EMC9 to create an image from the good DVD (created on the laptop) and burned that image with the Burner and it came out fine. So the burner isn't the issue. Perhaps it is time to get a new video card.
New video card would be my guess. I don't think the GeForce2's fully support DirectX9 which the program requires.

:)

I think I might have resolved it.

The one thing I did not try was changing the encoding from Interlaced to Progressive. I tried it this evening and the DVD turned out perfectly.

I can't explain why - but it plays fine.....

Thanks for all your help and contributions. A happy camper.

I'm going to take that last one back. Progressive is non stuttering but is significantly lower frame per sec rate. So - again I'm still stuck. I read in some other forums that MyDVD8 does Interlaced encoding with Upper Field First? I thought most DVD players using Lower Field Order First ?

I believe the Geforce FX Go5200 is a Geforce 4 chipset. Here is something I found that may help. Please check this site on how to get the regular nVidia drivers to work with the Go5200. This Website.

Also found another site that has tweaked the nivdia driver to work with the Go series. Check out this site too. Apparently, nVidia does not support ANY laptop chipsets other than the latest Geforce 7 Go series.

---

That first link seems a bit complicated, but the OmegaDriver should be easy to install. I did some reading and apparently the 6X nVidia driver series had the best results/compatibility for the Go5200. The Omega drivers is based on the 66.93.

Hi,

I'm a novice here. Acutally I'm reading this searching for a solution to my problem, BUT from what I understand is happening to you, I think that same thing was happening to me. I would burn my slideshow and some of the photos would turn out black. I had added transitions, had motion, etc.

I would burn again and then another couple of photos would turn out black in other parts of the slideshow. I had thought that maybe something was wrong with certain photos, so that's why I tried again.

I then changed setting in Project Settings and unchecked "Pre-Render Menus in Preview".

I don't know, if maybe I might have done something else inadvertedly to make this not happen, but when I unchecked the above, none of the individual photos would come out black.

Hope this helps!

Gloria

I'm going to take that last one back. Progressive is non stuttering but is significantly lower frame per sec rate. So - again I'm still stuck. I read in some other forums that MyDVD8 does Interlaced encoding with Upper Field First? I thought most DVD players using Lower Field Order First ?

Archived