• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

CD-R, CD+R, DVD+-R etc

jdykema

CDs come in two forms only - CD-R (recordable) and CD-RW (recordable, erasable and rewritable) RWs are fine for quick one-off jobs or testing but don't kep the data for any real length of time

DVDs are in two flavours - DVD-R (original format) and +R - the latter was invented by Philips (why they felt it necessary I don't know but then, that's Philips for you). As with CDs they also come in RW format (DVD-RW and +RW) with the same caveat about using them for long-term storage (basically DON'T trust them)

There are also Dual Layer discs available - these can hold almost double the data of the single layer ones (but at a lot higher price)

Normally there's not a lot to pick and choose between them - DVD-R is supposedly more compatable with stand-alone recorders but that's not always the case

However, if you're buying a drive, then all modern drives can handle all formats so you can happily use CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, +R and +RW along with Dual Layer

One point tho - I have NO idea who started off the 'CD+R' stuff - I've never seen or heard of one apart from manufacturers' blurbs about what their players can handle. I think they knew about DVD-RW/+RW and assumed CDs were similar - they ain't (just one format).

Guest mlpasley
I'm getting strange sounding answers from sales clerks as to what each format does. Is there someone out there that really knows and can tell me the differences. I'd sure like to know.

Thanks. JD

I have a question..... why do you want to know the difference between CD-R and DVD+ - R? Do you have a particular task that you need to do? A little more information would help us guide you to a solution.

One of the differences between the two is the capacity. A only holds 700 Mb and a DVD holds 4.7 Gb (4700 Mb).

Both can hold data or movies.

DVDs are what you usually need to make a video DVD that will play in a DVD player. A 4.7 Gb DVD will hold about one hours worth of a high quality movie (in spite of the fact that the DVDs say they'll hold 2 hours.)

And some newer DVD's hold 8.5 GB and are referred to as "Double Layer" DVD's.

Frank...

Wow, 4 replies is more than I imagined. Thanks everyone. Now I know that I was not clear in my question.

I know the difference between CD's and DVD's. I use them both. What I don't (didn't) know is diff between the - and + versions of each. So, for safety sake I should be buying CD-R's and DVD-R, and CD-RW, and DVD-RW. Do I have this right?

Thanks. to all.

edited to remove email address - hopefully before google.com got it

Some background as to how the two standards came to be:

http://www.plextor.com/english/support/faqs/G00015.htm

And a longer article on cdfreaks.com

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/The-DVD-fo...s-or-minus.html

But I can't find (google) quickly that somewhere I read there is more info per sector in DVD plus than DVD dash, which means they can't really be used back and forth.

And about 10% of DVD players won't read DVD plus and about 10% of DVD players won't read dash, so one critical piece of your decision should be which one YOUR DVD player reads. If both, then choose either :)

Lynn

Guest mlpasley
So, for safety sake I should be buying CD-R's and DVD-R, and CD-RW, and DVD-RW. Do I have this right?

Well, in CD's, your choice is CD-R and CD-RW. I usually use CD-R because they're cheap and I don't want to accidentally erase data that I might need in the future.

For DVDs, it's anyones guess what will work if you're burning video DVDs for use in a DVD player. Most players today will play either DVD-R or DVD+R. I have friends who have DVD players that will play only one kind or the other. One friend's Sony player prefers DVD+R, but the other Sony player he has will play either type.... go figure.

DVD RW's are good for testing out video productions on your computer, but many DVD players won't play them. And you have the same problem. You might accidentally overwrite the data and some people say that they don't last as long as write only media.

Well, in CD's, your choice is CD-R and CD-RW. I usually use CD-R because they're cheap and I don't want to accidentally erase data that I might need in the future.

For DVDs, it's anyones guess what will work if you're burning video DVDs for use in a DVD player. Most players today will play either DVD-R or DVD+R. I have friends who have DVD players that will play only one kind or the other. One friend's Sony player prefers DVD+R, but the other Sony player he has will play either type.... go figure.

DVD RW's are good for testing out video productions on your computer, but many DVD players won't play them. And you have the same problem. You might accidentally overwrite the data and some people say that they don't last as long as write only media.

Thanks, that really helps.

John

Archived