• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

videowave hanging

RamonaCV

Question

I'm working on a video of about 1-1/2 hours, which may be my whole problem. In preview, oftentimes the audio keeps playing and the video can't keep up. Or it hangs for way too long. My computer is new -- HP media center pc m7640n, Athelon 64x2 dual core processor 5000_ 2.61 ghz, 2 gb ram. That should be plenty, right? Is it that my video is just way too big? (By the way, I have made all the media manager stuff manual to try to speed things up, turn off absolutely every other application -- except Norton, could that be it?) It's quite frustrating and I, too, am thinking about trying another program. I'm quite disappointed in the no manual to begin with and the pdf manual pretty much seeming to be screen shots of the inadequate help menus. Luckily I have an old manual for version 6 and it at least gives me some basic definitions for a newbie like me. Sorry to be a whiner.

3 answers to this question

I'm working on a video of about 1-1/2 hours, which may be my whole problem. In preview, oftentimes the audio keeps playing and the video can't keep up. Or it hangs for way too long. My computer is new -- HP media center pc m7640n, Athelon 64x2 dual core processor 5000_ 2.61 ghz, 2 gb ram. That should be plenty, right? Is it that my video is just way too big? (By the way, I have made all the media manager stuff manual to try to speed things up, turn off absolutely every other application -- except Norton, could that be it?) It's quite frustrating and I, too, am thinking about trying another program. I'm quite disappointed in the no manual to begin with and the pdf manual pretty much seeming to be screen shots of the inadequate help menus. Luckily I have an old manual for version 6 and it at least gives me some basic definitions for a newbie like me. Sorry to be a whiner.

Could be; it depends how you have it set up. If it is scanning additions to the hard drive while you are working, then everything you do is checked for viruses. Since you are disconnected from the internet, or should be, you don't need it running. Also look at your start up programs in Windows and make sure that only the ones you want to run at start up are seleted. You can still start up those processes later

Windows>Start> Run> type in msconfig> click OK> go to the start up tab. I bet you'll find a lot there that you didn't know loaded at start up. You will have to reboot to have it take effect and when it does, you have to acknowledge that you did it on purpose. You'll only get that screen once.

I feel your pain! I just came to this message board to see if 9 is better than 8. I replaced my computer with a new one (specs in my sig) and I am still having all kinds of problems with sound sync and "hang" issues. I hope someone has some answers.

Try splitting your project up into 20 minute segments.

Initially just load it into VW and do a Save As, short test.dmsm. By working as a Project, your original source files will not be altered in any way!

Go to an portion about 2/3's of the way into the clip and split/delete the portion before that point. Then go to 20 minute marker and split and delete the portion behind that point, leaving roughly 20 minutes to play with.

Play with that portion and see how it behaves. If you have some RW media, you can even open MyDVD and add the short test.dmsm as a Title and burn it.

I have worked with a 6+ hour capture this way and it went well. A hint on splitting long projects – work the splits from end forward, so you can reference the timeline without getting all mixed up. (I did!)

Archived