• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

SoundMan

Multi-camera editing in Videowave

Question

Is there a way to save the multi-camera project and continuing working on it (selecting cameras, keeping the sync of  the video streams) etc?  I have an hour long video that I did on two cameras and the amount of time to go completely through it will exceed the length of the videos by several multiples, plus I found syncing by audio very difficult with the two files and had to visually sync based on an easy to see event that's visible in both videos.

7 answers to this question

16 hours ago, SoundMan said:

Is there a way to save the multi-camera project and continuing working on it (selecting cameras, keeping the sync of  the video streams) etc?  I have an hour long video that I did on two cameras and the amount of time to go completely through it will exceed the length of the videos by several multiples, plus I found syncing by audio very difficult with the two files and had to visually sync based on an easy to see event that's visible in both videos.

Here is a link to the MultiCamera tutorial which covers saving a multicamera project

Yes, saving, but not coming back to the camera selection process later on.  In fact the tutorial doesn't recommend exiting until you are done and I see absolutely no way to get back into the camera selection process if you exit.  So I need to block out several hours to work on this one hour video with two cameras.

I've never heard of anyone who got it to work! Mine always crashes when I load the files :D

I cannot find where these files are saved to. Have you found any of them? I wanted to double click one or right click and choose Open to see if that would bring up the editor...

I got Multi cam to work, although its a pain.  The sync on audio didn't work.  I think I've found my answer to my original question.  Once you click on "OK" and get back into Video Wave and save the project, you have an option when you right click on the video timeline or audio timeline to open Multi cam.  However it warms you that any edits from Video Wave will be lost.  Did allow me to reopen Multi Cam.  I haven't played with it much more than that.

No idea where they are saved to other than maybe in the users AppData area.

I found them but the format is something that Windows does not associate the program with.

Great find on the right click edit!

Do like the movies do when you film multi cameras. Make the loud 'Click' or two at the beginning. That gives the editor set marks from each clip to synchronize with ;) Leave it on until you are ready to produce your final burn clip then trim off that portion in VideoWave. ~ to be honest, I have not tried this but it sure sounds like I know what I am doing :D

Keep us updated.

The loud click wasn't an option as the first shoot was in a church with the cameras started minutes before the service started.  The only other things I noticed was once I started switching between cameras I couldn't set the transition between cameras (I wanted a one second cross fade).  The other thing I noticed was either my initial sync was off more than I though or the cameras' frame rates didn't match exactly, but the end of the hour, the sound was off from one of the cameras by almost a whole second.  I used my older cameras sound track as it was on auto level, the new camera has actual controls for the audio and I need to play with it more, it was too quiet.

I also found it irritating that I couldn't trim the end result, I had to export it, then edit the resulting video.

Transitions are limited to one Track. Sound sync has always plagued video work in any brand.

Try these. For Transitions, note the the times where you want the transitions. Then after the two are combined, split the track and add the transition.

For sync, listen to what it sound like after you have tried the splits for transitions. We have seen many cases where adding multiple splits somehow keeps the sync under control.

As far as the noise clicks, it can be just after you get both running.  Doesn't have to be real loud, just enough to produce a spike on both cameras.

I have a few old camcorders about, just need to take some time and try these things out!

Edited by Jim_Hardin