• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

MyDVD: creating chapter menus

mark22

Question

You know how in commercial DVDs, you can click one button to start playing the feature movie from the beginning. And you can click on a different button to bring up a sub-menu of the various chapters within the main movie. (that button is often labelled 'scene selection'.) Of course clicking on one of these chapter buttons brings you into the middle of the feature production.

How can I do that with one production in MyDVD?

That is, i'd like one button to immediately start playing the movie. And i would like a second button to bring up the chapter menu for that same movie.

Thanks.

6 answers to this question

a) ...The marker tool is available in Storyline mode of Videowave.

Couldn't find it there. But did find markers in Timeline mode. Otherwise your instructions were perfect.

Tried both methods and they both worked. Thanks to both of you.

I also experimented a little and found the following:

Can also create the chapters in MyDVD, using Edit Chapters, rather than markers in Videowave. This could come in handy if I'm working with a movie I created in an older version and/or no longer have the Videowave save file. I create the chapters but do NOT create the sub-menu. I do this BEFORE I copy the button to create the 2nd copy. Then, edit chapters again for the second button, but this time check the box to create the sub-menu.

I thought I remember some experts on this forum recommending creating the mpg file in Videowave and importing that -- instead of the Videowave save file -- into MyDVD, although i'm not sure of why that was preferred. But you guys recommended using the Videowave save file in MyDVD, rather than the mpg file.

Does it make any difference?

THANKS again for your help on this topic and others.

Can also create the chapters in MyDVD, using Edit Chapters,
Oops... my instructions were for MyDVD. Sorry for any confusion.

creating the mpg file in Videowave and importing that -- instead of the Videowave save file -- into MyDVD,
If you render in Videowave first, then MyDVD doesn't have to do it. That way creating the final video DVD is much quicker. The only thing that has to render is just the menus. :)

You know how in commercial DVDs, you can click one button to start playing the feature movie from the beginning. And you can click on a different button to bring up a sub-menu of the various chapters within the main movie. (that button is often labelled 'scene selection'.) Of course clicking on one of these chapter buttons brings you into the middle of the feature production.

How can I do that with one production in MyDVD?

That is, i'd like one button to immediately start playing the movie. And i would like a second button to bring up the chapter menu for that same movie.

Thanks.

a) Make sure you mark the start of each chapter in your main movie. I do this in Videowave using the marker. The marker tool is available in Storyline mode of Videowave. Save this production.

b)Open MyDVD. Add Photo/Video and point to the production you saved in step a. That should create a button. Click on this button and rename it to "Play". This is the button that plays the entire movie.

c) Add an unlink button as follows:

In the Project View area (Menus tab), select the menu to which you want to add the unlink button

Choose DVD Menu > Add New Unlinked Button.

The new unlink button appears on the menu.

d) To create a "Scene Selection" button, do the following steps:

In the Preview area, click the unlink button to select it.

Choose View > Settings to open the Settings dialog box (or you can right click the unlink button).

In the Main tab, choose the movie or production you want this button linked to from the Link list. If I rememer correctly, I chose the name of the production associated with the main movie.

Right clik on the second button, and select Edit Chapters. Should bring up a window to generate chapters. The generated chapters should correspond to the marked sections you did in Videowave. Clik the OK button after all chapters have been generated.

e) Preview the project and check if the Play and Scene Selection buttons do the task you want them to do.

PS: I am not in front of PC with EMC9 so I was trying to do it by memory as I just finished a project a couple of days ago that has both Play and Scene Selection buttons.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I can make that even more simple.

Create your menu

Add your movie clip. Rename this button PLAY MOVIE (or whatever)

COPY this button to the clip board

Paste it back. Rename the second button Select Scenes

RIGHT mouse click on the scene button and choose EDIT CHAPTERS.

Done

Ok, the 4th and 5th steps replace the addition of unlink button process I discussed above. Cool!

Thanks Gary.

Archived