• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

tngordo

Basic questions from a new Creator user

Question

I recently purchased Creator NXT 6 along with the Bluray plugin. I have had mixed success creating Blu-ray DVD's, but the program fails during the encoding phase at least 50% of the time, often after running for 2 or more hours. Fortunately, there have been no failures during the actual DVD burn process, so I have lost only time and not discs. Before going into a lot of detail about the failures, I have some basic questions:

1. I am running Windows 8.1. I exchanged a couple of emails with someone from tech support who seemed unsure as to whether Creator and more importantly MYDVD were supported on 8.1. He said something to the effect that they didn't have an 8.1 platform to do any testing. Is 8.1 supported? If not, can I try to use compatibility mode and if so, what settings?
  2. So far, most of the projects I have run are processing .mp4 files that I used a converter program to convert .ts files. The reason I had mostly .ts files is that I had heard that most programs like Creator supported .ts files (in fact, I have discovered that Creator used to support .ts files but no longer does. Why would a newer version of a program drop support? I would think that a new version would add, not remove, features? If I can get Creator to work more reliably, I will change my video capture program to create either .m2ts or .mp4 files. Any recommendations?

Now for at least a little detail about the errors. When MYDVD fails, the only immediate error message is about an unhanded exception. No error codes are displayed at the time of the failure. I went into Windows Event Viewer and found a few frequent entries. I've copied and pasted the entries into a text file and attached it here from the 2 most common entries (these occur as pairs, one right after the other). If there is a better way to produce this data, please let me know:

MYDVD error 1.txt

MYDVD Error 2.txt

17 answers to this question

Compatible? Right here on the website, Win7,SP1: Win 8.x & Win 10... So yes that is not a problem.

xxx.TP? It is right there in the file type of the File Open box along with just about any other Video File Format out there... Yes it accepts them but it is always best to work with the source files in their original format.

You mention "BluRay DVD's"? There is no such thing, it is either a DVD or a BD. And either one should code without issue!

In your Error Log I do see '.NET Runtime. That makes me suspect your .NET may need repair.

Control Panel - Programs and Features - Uninstall/Change. Scroll down to Microsoft.NET Framework x.x.x and Right click it. Choose Uninstall/Change. Make sure you have Repair selected and turn it loose!

1732433049_DotNetRepair.jpg.4a867e5af43c5d8f69cbc23915bc64fa.jpg

(------------------ his error message -----------------)

Log Name:      Application
Source:        .NET Runtime
Date:          2/5/2019 2:00:02 PM
Event ID:      1026
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Toms-ASUS
Description:
Application: MyDVDApp.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
   at System.Windows.Application.Run(System.Windows.Window)
   at Corel.MyDVDApp.App.Main()

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name=".NET Runtime" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1026</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-02-05T19:00:02.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>984567</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Toms-ASUS</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Application: MyDVDApp.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
   at System.Windows.Application.Run(System.Windows.Window)
   at Corel.MyDVDApp.App.Main()

</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          2/5/2019 2:00:02 PM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Toms-ASUS
Description:
Faulting application name: MyDVDApp.exe, version: 2.0.1.33, time stamp: 0x59a651a8
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.19178, time stamp: 0x5bc10573
Exception code: 0xe06d7363
Fault offset: 0x00015ef8
Faulting process id: 0xb80
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4bd83c9062b03
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio MyDVD\MyDVDApp.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 3d8e58c7-2978-11e9-bf99-6c71d95b7f3c
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-02-05T19:00:02.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>984568</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Toms-ASUS</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>MyDVDApp.exe</Data>
    <Data>2.0.1.33</Data>
    <Data>59a651a8</Data>
    <Data>KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
    <Data>6.3.9600.19178</Data>
    <Data>5bc10573</Data>
    <Data>e06d7363</Data>
    <Data>00015ef8</Data>
    <Data>b80</Data>
    <Data>01d4bd83c9062b03</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio MyDVD\MyDVDApp.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
    <Data>3d8e58c7-2978-11e9-bf99-6c71d95b7f3c</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

3 hours ago, Jim_Hardin said:

Compatible? Right here on the website, Win7,SP1: Win 8.x & Win 10... So yes that is not a problem.

OK, I see that now. Thanks.

xxx.TP? It is right there in the file type of the File Open box along with just about any other Video File Format out there... Yes it accepts them but it is always best to work with the source files in their original format.

I'm not sure I get that reference. Which file open box? When I open MYDVD, I don't see a file open dialog. I click on Media at the top left of the screen, and from there I select a  folder containing the media files that I want to include in my project. The only files in the folder I select that are displayed for me to choose from have to have a filetype supported by MYDVD, and xxx.ts files are not displayed, which tells me they are not supported. Are you talkig about another product besides MYDVD?

You mention "BluRay DVD's"? There is no such thing, it is either a DVD or a BD. And either one should code without issue!

OK, I was not aware of the nomenclature; I had seen references to BD discs, I just had thought that was a synonym for BluRay discs. I appreciate the information.

In your Error Log I do see '.NET Runtime. That makes me suspect your .NET may need repair.

Control Panel - Programs and Features - Uninstall/Change. Scroll down to Microsoft.NET Framework x.x.x and Right click it. Choose Uninstall/Change. Make sure you have Repair selected and turn it loose!

Thanks, I'll look into that. Can I assume that there is no downside to doing this repair?

3 hours ago, Jim_Hardin said:

1732433049_DotNetRepair.jpg.4a867e5af43c5d8f69cbc23915bc64fa.jpg

Update:

I checked the .Net Framework... it looks like I don't have that component. Here's a screen print of my Programs and Features in the attached Paint file . What does this mean and what do I do about it? I clicked on 'Turn Windows Features off and on and got the following.

1313894837_Windowsfeatures.png.9e900d56806ba84b7d2ed469fe72fda7.png

Programs and features.png

I checked the .Net Framework... it looks like I don't have that component.

My W-7 Ultimate and W-8.1 don't show that entry either and booth are updated.

I suspect Jim_Hardin is showing his W-10 Windows features and it has 'Net Framework 4 Extended'?

Not exactly...

Mine was in my Win 7 PC. I did some checking and find it is not present in Win 8 or Win 10! My Win 10 with NXT6 runs fine without it, so that is not the problem :(

In VideoWave, when you pick Add Photo/Video (upper left) , you get a file open box. TP is in the list.

Next step would be to run a Repair on NXT 6. (KEEP in mind that INSTALLs are limited to 10, so Repair is better since it doesn't count) Throw in your disc or start Setup from your download. Just choose Repair.

20 hours ago, tngordo said:

I recently purchased Creator NXT 6 along with the Bluray plugin. I have had mixed success creating Blu-ray DVD's, but the program fails during the encoding phase at least 50% of the time, often after running for 2 or more hours. Fortunately, there have been no failures during the actual DVD burn process, so I have lost only time and not discs. Before going into a lot of detail about the failures, I have some basic questions:

1. I am running Windows 8.1. I exchanged a couple of emails with someone from tech support who seemed unsure as to whether Creator and more importantly MYDVD were supported on 8.1. He said something to the effect that they didn't have an 8.1 platform to do any testing. Is 8.1 supported? If not, can I try to use compatibility mode and if so, what settings?
  2. So far, most of the projects I have run are processing .mp4 files that I used a converter program to convert .ts files. The reason I had mostly .ts files is that I had heard that most programs like Creator supported .ts files (in fact, I have discovered that Creator used to support .ts files but no longer does. Why would a newer version of a program drop support? I would think that a new version would add, not remove, features? If I can get Creator to work more reliably, I will change my video capture program to create either .m2ts or .mp4 files. Any recommendations?

Now for at least a little detail about the errors. When MYDVD fails, the only immediate error message is about an unhanded exception. No error codes are displayed at the time of the failure. I went into Windows Event Viewer and found a few frequent entries. I've copied and pasted the entries into a text file and attached it here from the 2 most common entries (these occur as pairs, one right after the other). If there is a better way to produce this data, please let me know:

MYDVD error 1.txt

MYDVD Error 2.txt

myDVD does not show *.ts files in its supported file formats but if you change the ts extension to mts it should work.

To see the Open File Dialog box in myDVD you

1-switch to Advanced Mode

2-click on the small icon in the upper right corner of the "Drag your content" here thumbnail

3-select Add Title from the drop-down menu

4-you should now see the list of supported formats

but why are you converting mp4 files to ts since myDVD supports mp4 files?

Edited by myguggi

Here's what I see on my W10 Pro computer. nothing else on all programs and features

when I checked.

Capture.JPG

Yes Tngordo did state MyDVD but I suspect he is working in VideoWave. Or that is another assumption that is returning to bite me in the a__ :lol:

IF VideoWave then it looks like this:

104856844_AddPhotoVideo1.thumb.jpg.7544dab8402ce247d1da5038086d00cd.jpg

1073133381_AddPhotoVideo2.thumb.jpg.1337cce9592e31b6474d879408d9f396.jpg

Based on the very helpful responses from Jim_Hardin, cdanteek, REDWAGON, and myguggi, I have made some significant progress. Here's what I've learned and how it has helped:

1. I've learned that my laptop doesn't have Microsoft .NET Framework, but that I apparently don't need it for Roxio Creator/MYDVD. I do have one question remaining in that area: what is NET Runtime? Some of the errors I encountered (see my initial post) mentioned that "component" in the Event log entries.
  2. The tip regarding .ts files and their similarity to .mts files led me to renaming some of my .ts files to .mts, which allowed them to be recognized by MYDVD. This resulted in a much higher project burn success rate than when I used the the .mp4 files that were generated by Handbrake (a file converter) using the .ts files as input. Someone had said that it was preferable to use original video files that ones that had been converted.
  3. While I prefer the Advanced mode of MYDVD because it allows menu editing and more flexibility in tailoring projects, I have found that Magic Mode gives me a higher success rate. I just have to switch mmenu templates until I find on that displays the titles properly without requiring re-arrangement.
    Any ideas/suggestions as to why the Magic Mode works better for me?

Thanks again for all your help. If you have any thoughts on either of my remaining questions, I'd appreciate hearing them.

So you are not using VideoWave to do editing at all?

That could be a factor as VideoWave preps the output file for MyDVD. That should not make any difference but it might so it is something to try. Just use the Output - Prepare for Authoring.

Edited by Jim_Hardin

15 hours ago, Jim_Hardin said:

So you are not using VideoWave to do editing at all?

That could be a factor as VideoWave props the output file for MyDVD. That should not make any difference but it might so it is something to try. Just use the Output - Prepare for Authoring.

Jim, I've never used Videowave, so I don't know my way around in it. When I opened it from Creator, it first prompted me to choose between creating a new production or editing an existing production. I don't know what a production is. It must not be the same thing as a project, because when I point it at the folder where my existing projects are stored, it doesn't recognize them.

2 hours ago, tngordo said:

Jim, I've never used Videowave, so I don't know my way around in it. When I opened it from Creator, it first prompted me to choose between creating a new production or editing an existing production. I don't know what a production is. It must not be the same thing as a project, because when I point it at the folder where my existing projects are stored, it doesn't recognize them.

Videowave will only recognize a privious videowave production. A production is a program created using videowave. Any videowave production will have a name you go give it with a DMSM extension

ie... "myprogram.dmsm"

3 hours ago, tngordo said:

What are you trying to create? If you are not going to do any video editing there is no need to open Videowave at all. If all you want to do is create a DVD or BlueRay disc then simply launch "Create DVDs" from the Creator home page.

Perhaps you could describe in some detail what steps you are taking.

Edited by myguggi

To everyone inquiring about my use of Videowave, the only reason that I initially mentioned it was in response to Jim Hardin asking me about it. He mentioned that it could be used to prop (prep?) the output file for MYDVD. I believe he mentioned Output -Prepare for authoring. I clicked on that out of curiosity, but nothing happened. I really have no idea whether this would be useful, but since I can't even figure out how to make it work, it's kind of a moot point.

The only possible use of Videowave I can think of is if its editing features would allow me to trim a few seconds off the beginning of a video file. Sometimes, during the capture process I capture a few seconds of additional footage at the beginning. I took a look at the Videowave screen, and while I saw a scissors icon in the screen, it was not at all intuitive as to how to perform this simple task. I have also tried the editing feature of Arcsoft Showbiz, but again, I wasn't able to intuitively figure it out. I was able to mark the video with a beginning and ending for the segment to be trimmed, but then I couldn't figure out how to save the edited video file. The Help for some of these products is just horrible. If any of you are familiar with either of these products and could give me simple instructions on how to perform what should be a simple edit (trimming a few seconds from the start of a video file and saving the updated file), I would be grateful.

If you want to trim a few seconds from any video clip you have to use Videowave. Perhaps it is time you looked at some of the many tutorials on the web that show you how to use Videowave. Even the Help file for VideoWave (which is not horrible) gives a good description on how to use the Trim feature

Simply clicking on the Prepare for DVD Authouring will of course do nothing if you don't have a video clip on the timeline. Videowave has to be used if you want to do any editing such as trimming, splitting, adding transitions, effects etc.

Edited by myguggi

Let's leave VW out of this for now.

Instead let's try some Known videos. Windows ships with a sample video or two. Go into your Libraries/Video/Sample Videos and use one of them for a test.

Start a New MyDVD project and use that sample video for your file. At this point you can either burn a disc (sacrifice one for the team) or burn it to an ISO file. I would pick the later and put it in the same Sample Videos file.

Assuming it works, New Project and load one or two of your video files that you have had trouble with. Again burn to ISO and see what happens.

I want to see if the video file is the problem with this. I have another test in mind but do this first to see if we need to do more ;)