joca

Large File problem

Question

I have a  rendered AVC H264 file that is 10.5 GB how is this likely to be quality wise on a DL disk. I would appreciate any ideas please. This has to go around about 20 people I have thought of Blue Ray but I think there are some that cannot play a BD disk. Any ideas would be very welcome. Would this file auto convert in copy & convert or would it want to compress the file  Regards Johnnie

Edited by joca
additional info

15 answers to this question

Hello Johnnie,

If you reduce your 10.5 GB file to around 8.5 GB to fit on a DL disc,  you'll be reducing it to about 81% of its original size.  That shouldn't affect its quality too much.  As you pointed out, some of your intended recipients won't be able to read a BD disc so do you really have another viable option?   

What are you planning to give them, a video file simply stored on a DVD, or a proper Video DVD?

I don't quite follow your last question.  What would you be doing with the file in Video Copy & Convert?   You're going to have to either chop 20% off in an editor to cut it down to size, or re-render it at a different size or bitrate to fit on the disc.

Regards, Brendon

9 minutes ago, Brendon said:

Hello Johnnie,

If you reduce your 10.5 GB file to around 8.5 GB to fit on a DL disc,  you'll be reducing it to about 81% of its original size.  That shouldn't affect its quality too much.  As you pointed out, some of your intended recipients won't be able to read a BD disc so do you really have another viable option?   

What are you planning to give them, a video file simply stored on a DVD, or a proper Video DVD?

I don't quite follow your last question.  What would you be doing with the file in Video Copy & Convert?   You're going to have to either chop 20% off in an editor to cut it down to size, or re-render it at a different size or bitrate to fit on the disc.

Regards, Brendon

Thank you Brendon for your response. Video & convert? I export this 2hour 24 min 10.5 gig file to AVC H264 and then use video & convert to create a ISO file or Video TS ( I dont know any other way) to then burn to a disk. I will admit to feeling in the dark a bit but I dont do this very often. The video is of a local variety club show and they are not normally this long.

Quote (What are you planning to give them, a video file simply stored on a DVD, or a proper Video DVD?) I am planning on giving them a DVD to watch and enjoy what one of them I wouldnt know the difference.

Sorry Im a bit vague but clearly you can see I dont know a lot.

Thanks for your help Johnnie 

I think I understand your question better now.  Will Video Copy & Convert make my 2h:24m, 10.5 GB file into a Video DVD without compressing it?

The answer is No.  The software will have to re-render your video down to the standard frame size of 720 x 480 and reduce the data rate so that it can fit on your DVD.   The only time it can copy the video over without re-rendering, is when the source video is already at DVD standard.

It seems you'll have to just try it and see if the quality is acceptable.  Convert to an ISO, and then you can later burn more copies without having to do the conversion all over again each time.

14 minutes ago, Brendon said:

I think I understand your question better now.  Will Video Copy & Convert make my 2h:24m, 10.5 GB file into a Video DVD without compressing it?

The answer is No.  The software will have to re-render your video down to the standard frame size of 720 x 480 and reduce the data rate so that it can fit on your DVD.   The only time it can copy the video over without re-rendering, is when the source video is already at DVD standard.

It seems you'll have to just try it and see if the quality is acceptable.  Convert to an ISO, and then you can later burn more copies without having to do the conversion all over again each time.

Thank you Brendon. My rendered AVC H264  file is 10.5 gig and I have DL disks. When I make file folder or ISO in copy & convert the result is 4.20 GB. Please how do I get a ISO 10.5 so that I can burn it onto a DL disk

Edited by joca
to change text

Johnnie,

You can't get a 10.5 GB ISO.   You can't have an ISO bigger than will fit on the disc.  The figures I used in my first post were very rough , and in fact your 10.5 GB file is going to have to come down to smaller than 7.9 GB.

Single layer DVDs can hold around 4,700,000,000 bytes (4.3 GB). 

Double layer DVDs can hold around  8,547,000,000 bytes  (7.95 GB).

There should be somewhere in the settings for Video Copy & Convert to tell it you want a DL iso - I don't have VC&C on my machine or a huge file to experiment with, but I'm sure someone else will step in to help if you can't find the setting.   The 4.2GB ISO you have may look rather rough, but your 10.5 GB file should look much better once it has been rendered down to below 7.9 GB to fit on a DL disc.

Regards, Brendon

5 hours ago, Brendon said:

Johnnie,

You can't get a 10.5 GB ISO.   You can't have an ISO bigger than will fit on the disc.  The figures I used in my first post were very rough , and in fact your 10.5 GB file is going to have to come down to smaller than 7.9 GB.

Single layer DVDs can hold around 4,700,000,000 bytes (4.3 GB). 

Double layer DVDs can hold around  8,547,000,000 bytes  (7.95 GB).

There should be somewhere in the settings for Video Copy & Convert to tell it you want a DL iso - I don't have VC&C on my machine or a huge file to experiment with, but I'm sure someone else will step in to help if you can't find the setting.   The 4.2GB ISO you have may look rather rough, but your 10.5 GB file should look much better once it has been rendered down to below 7.9 GB to fit on a DL disc.

Regards, Brendon

Hi Brendon thank you once again for your help. I understand that 10.5 GB wont fit onto a DL disk but my problem is :-

When in copy and convert whether I go with File/folder or ISO the result is the same. Although my movie is 10.5 GB in size the result of the file or ISO is that it comes out at 4.20 GB to fit a single layer disk. I need it to be larger I.E. DL size but it seems that the default in copy and convert seems to be a single layer disk and I cannot find any settings that will do otherwise. How can I get this movie to fit on a DL disk because on a 4.3 size disk the quality is only good for the rubbish bin

Regards Johnnie

Edited by joca
change text

> How can I get this movie to fit on a DL disk because on a 4.3 size disk the quality is only good for the rubbish bin

Understood.  I'm checking with others to see if VC&C can handle double-layer discs, and if so how to tell it to go to the larger size.  I'll come back to you the moment I get an answer.

35 minutes ago, Brendon said:

> How can I get this movie to fit on a DL disk because on a 4.3 size disk the quality is only good for the rubbish bin

Understood.  I'm checking with others to see if VC&C can handle double-layer discs, and if so how to tell it to go to the larger size.  I'll come back to you the moment I get an answer.

Thank you Brendon

Is there any consideration of splitting the original video file into 2 or 3 pieces?  Two would fit easily onto two DL discs.  Three should fit onto 3 single layer DVDs.

1 hour ago, d_deweywright said:

Is there any consideration of splitting the original video file into 2 or 3 pieces?  Two would fit easily onto two DL discs.  Three should fit onto 3 single layer DVDs.

Thank you for your reply. Yes I have thought about splitting the file. But surely 10.5 would compress to 8.5gb but how do I do it. A DL disk is 8.5 gb my problem is that in copy and convert I cannot get this 144 minute file above 4.20 GB. I am hoping that 10.5 Gb on a DL disk is better than compressed down to 4.20 Gb because the quality is awful

I haven't used NXT5 much recently, preferring an older version, Creator 2012.  I don't recall what components it has now, but I think it has a much reduced version of MyDVD, which is what I would have used for compressing the video to DL size.  Hopefully Brendan will come back with a better answer using VC&C.

And I agree, compressed to a DL disc should look significantly better than compressed to fit on a single-layer disc.

2 hours ago, joca said:

Thank you for your reply. Yes I have thought about splitting the file. But surely 10.5 would compress to 8.5gb but how do I do it. A DL disk is 8.5 gb my problem is that in copy and convert I cannot get this 144 minute file above 4.20 GB. I am hoping that 10.5 Gb on a DL disk is better than compressed down to 4.20 Gb because the quality is awful

Have you tried the Custom settings under Video in VCC? There you can set the bitrate which should reduce the mpg file size when rendered. You might then be able to burn that mpg file to a DL DVD.

Can your "customers" play DL DVDs?

2 minutes ago, myguggi said:

Have you tried the Custom settings under Video in VCC? There you can set the bitrate which should reduce the mpg file size when rendered. You might then be able to burn that mpg file to a DL DVD.

Can your "customers" play DL DVDs?

Yes they can play DL disk and have done for several years but always 6 or 7GB and I never had a problem getting them onto a disk. I will try what you suggest and thank you for your reply.Talking about bitrate now you are getting me into a whole new game I don't have a clue about bitrates.

Johnnie

Hello Johnnie,

It doesn't seem to be in any of the manuals, but I think I've found the problem.

The problem is that Video Copy & Convert  (VC&C) cannot convert to a DL DVD.   Back when the software was written, video files bigger than a DL disc weren't seen in the wild so they haven't been allowed for.     So, it works like this:

1] Files up to single layer size (about 4.2 GB) are copied to SL disc

2] Between SL and DL size (about 8.5 GB) they can be converted to SL, or copied to DL - Your Choice

3] Bigger than DL, they are converted to SL.   There's no option to convert to DL.   (This is what has happened to you.)

I think Creator's "Make a DVD" process will properly compress your 10.5 GB file as it makes a DL disc or ISO, but I can't try it out first because I don't have a huge 10.5 GB file.   You'll have to try it.

Brendon

5 hours ago, Brendon said:

Hello Johnnie,

It doesn't seem to be in any of the manuals, but I think I've found the problem.

The problem is that Video Copy & Convert  (VC&C) cannot convert to a DL DVD.   Back when the software was written, video files bigger than a DL disc weren't seen in the wild so they haven't been allowed for.     So, it works like this:

1] Files up to single layer size (about 4.2 GB) are copied to SL disc

2] Between SL and DL size (about 8.5 GB) they can be converted to SL, or copied to DL - Your Choice

3] Bigger than DL, they are converted to SL.   There's no option to convert to DL.   (This is what has happened to you.)

I think Creator's "Make a DVD" process will properly compress your 10.5 GB file as it makes a DL disc or ISO, but I can't try it out first because I don't have a huge 10.5 GB file.   You'll have to try it.

Brendon

Hi Brendon, thank you I have never used the Make DVD process but will try and see if I can do it.

Regards Johnnie