JLC78726

no sound on DVD

Question

I recently upgraded to NXT 7, on my Windows 7 machine, and am trying to burn a DVD with MyDVD.  The burned DVD has no sound.  I've read previous posts that suggest changing the audio setting for burning, except that File/Project Settings gives me:

options.png.954affa368fcac76b4d13005193c35dd.png

and Tools/Settings gives me:

settings.png.6f8eca7fbe56f7c91832231c44032c0f.png

Notice that there are no audio setting options.  There are no other options menus in this version of NXT7. 

But even given that, none of the buttons in those menus actually do anything. I can click until I turn blue, and none of the buttons activate.

SO,  TWO QUESTIONS:

(1)  How to I get audio on the DVD?

(2) How do I use those settings popups if the buttons are inactive?

Brendon, does your VLC show 2 audio tracks for the mpg file?

No, VLC doesn't show any audio tracks that it can manipulate.

The file is an MPEG-2 program stream in DVD 'VOB' format, with 1 video stream and 1 audio stream.   It plays happily in my Windows 10 without me installing any special codecs.

7 hours ago, myguggi said:

I downloaded the file and tried playing it with VLC  - no audio. I then used NXT 7's myDVD to create an iso file which played fine with audio.

Back in VLC, I found that under audio/audio track there are 2 audio tracks listed: Track 1 has no audio while Track 2 has audio. Does anybody else see this?

Are you saying you're only seeing one track of the stereo audio recorded?  In VLC, I'm seeing both left and right tracks.  In Audio > Audio Track, I'm only seeing Disable and Track 1.

2 hours ago, Brendon said:

I downloaded the file and tried playing it with VLC  - Excellent audio.  

I get a good audio track when I play the MPG file with VLC, too.

2 hours ago, Brendon said:

The software (properly installed) seems to be doing its job.   Has the original poster resolved his problem with a failed install and failed menus?   I think if he does that, his software will work properly too.

I've tried completely uninstalling, doing cleanup of any possible residual files -- based on a list provided by Roxio support -- and reinstalling in a new account.  The settings menus (File > Project Settings & Tools > Settings) work on the new install of MyDVD in the new account.  They don't work on my usual account.  From neither account does MyDVD produce a DVD (or ISO) with audio.  

I've tried this with not only the video file I've pointed you all at, but video files I've successfully burned to DVD using the version of MyDVD in Creator 2011.  I've tried multiple MyDVD themes.  The audio failure happens whether I've set MyDVD to use hardware or software rendering (in the account where I can change that setting).

So I conclude that there are two separate problems here. 

(1) Either (a) I'm making a consistent mistake in installing NXT 7, or (b) there's something about my Windows 7 SP1 installation that's causing MyDVD to produce DVDs with no audio at all. 

(2) There's something about my account that's causing the MyDVD setup menus in the program to not work.

I am able to burn an audio CD from WAV files using the "Burn Audio CDs" function in NXT 7, so some part of NXT 7 recognizes my audio hardware and drivers.

Myguggi: In case my answer to your question is confusing, here's what I see with the source MPG in VLC - just the one track, same as JLC78726 sees.

vlc.jpg.1e7fabeeabe3ce22fb69a6d7fb27f108.jpg

JLC78726: Can we check one of the soundless ISOs or DVDs you've made, to confirm there's no audio in there please?  To rule out the possibility it might be there but you can't play it?  This involves extracting or copying the file VTS_01_1.VOB from the ISO or DVD you made, and testing it with MediaInfo.  I'll show you how to use the portable version of MediaInfo, so that if you want to, deleting the folder afterwards completely removes the program.

MediaInfoPortable_19.04.paf.exe
1-Here's the program file. Click on it to download it. [It's small, free, and safe with no virus or PUPs.]
2-Copy/move the program to an empty folder, anywhere you want to put it.
3-Run the program (MediaInfoPortable_19.04.paf.exe) inside that folder. It will unzip its contents into a folder called MediaInfoPortable.
4-Inside that new folder you'll see MediaInfoPortable.exe. Drag that VOB file you extracted and drop it onto MediaInfoPortable.exe

5-MediaInfo will open and tell you about your VOB.  What does it tell you about "First Audio Stream" please??

6-When you've finished with it, deleting the MediaInfo folders will remove the testing program completely.

Edited by Brendon

Brendon:  There is an audio stream in the MediaInfo results, to wit:

image.png.f2744a1b8529c5da3d5a9b3eca0a2d2f.png

So MyDVD thinks it's writing something, but it contains silence when I play it using VLC, Media Player, or on my DVD player.  

Is there a tool we can use to extract the audio stream out of the VOB file?  Thanks, meanwhile, for introducing me to this tool.

JLC78726,

I managed to find a share-ware program called DVD Audio Extractor, here(link).  It gives you a free 30-day trial, but after that costs you $30.  The free trial period should be enough for this job.  Just click 'Register Later' unless you want to buy it.

Using that in the single-file mode let me rip the audio from the VOB file to an MP3 file I could play.   Some Internet pages say you can use the VLC Player to rip audio from a DVD or DVD file, but that didn't work for me - just converted the VOB into an MP4 video.

Still with VLC Player,  Myguggi and Cdanteek have pointed out that early versions of VLC can give you some odd results with your MPG file, so it pays to use the latest VLC version, 3.0.6.   Thanks for that, gentlemen.

Okay, now to this week's puzzle:  Please compare these three screenshots -

The original MPG

415100092_thempg.jpg.e540b9e5d06143d15fe4bc555710fd93.jpg

My VOB file

myvob.jpg.dfb62ca9a125c2eb66f82ad1d6c66f61.jpg

Your VOB file

yourvob.jpg.357c4a5e45dc2dabc19efa44436b987f.jpg

First thing to notice is the video has in both cases been processed by MyDVD from 6 000 kb/s to 9 000 kb/s, so that seems to have worked properly.

Next thing is that my audio has been converted to AC-3 at 192 kb/s, while yours doesn't seem to have been changed.  Given that there aren't any options for the user to tweak, why did mine work while yours didn't?     Further, your MPG plays sound so why doesn't your DVD with unchanged audio also play sound like the MPG?    Could it be that your second Roxio installation isn't 100%, either?

CD and Myguggi, is there any chance either or both of you could try making an ISO from that MPG, and see what MyDVD does with the audio on your machines?

Regards, Brendon

20 hours ago, JLC78726 said:

So MyDVD thinks it's writing something, but it contains silence when I play it using VLC, Media Player, or on my DVD player.  

What version of VLC are you running?

What is the maker name and model number of your settop DVD player?

Are you making a standard DVD or a Blu-Ray DVD?

v.jpg.895b8d111bc1441adec0c0c98baffd80.jpg

vlc.jpg.269059a1b3fcdc83ac6b4eae16965e9c.jpg

9 hours ago, Brendon said:

CD and Myguggi, is there any chance either or both of you could try making an ISO from that MPG, and see what MyDVD does with the audio on your machines?

I'll try and get that done.

Edited by cdanteek

Finally getting back to this after a few days away.  Thanks for all the tips and debugging help, folks.

cdanteekMy version of VLC gets updated fairly regularly, so I'm running 3.0.6, the latest.  My set top DVD player is a Toshiba SD4200KU; my set top Blu-Ray player is a Samsung BD-JM57 -- same lack of sound on both players as with VLC.  And I'm using MyDVD to create a standard DVD, not a Blu-Ray.

Brendon: Thanks for the pointer to the DVD Audio Extractor.  I extracted the audio from both the DVD and the VOB file.  (Yes, I know, effectively the same thing, but the program allowed me to do both and I wanted to try it both ways for completeness.)  Both extracted MP3 files are silent. VLC gives the following information for the extracted files:

image.png.d9ee8768d7f980c22ae3ddb82b4f45b7.png

It's hard to see how I've bobbled the Roxio installation a second time.  I believe the next step is to do an installation from scratch on a different computer. It will likely be next week before I can arrange both the machine and the time.  Since the computer I'll probably try that on is a slightly earlier version of this one but with a different set of audio drivers, it will at least give us another data point on audio hardware and drivers.  Or, at worst, tell me that I'm messing up the installation in the same way each time.

Meanwhile, I'm open to other suggestions.

By the way, I also did a complete uninstall and reinstall of NXT7 from the original media using a new account on the computer.  Running MyDVD from that account the settings menus in MyDVD (File > Project Settings & Tools > Settings) have buttons that work.  When I switch back to my normal user account those settings menus have radio buttons that are completely inactive.  In that new account, using the buttons to change the settings still doesn't create a DVD with audio.

I'm not sure what that tells me, but someone else might see a clue there.  That settings menu issue appears to be a problem unrelated to the audio issue, though.

3 hours ago, JLC78726 said:

I'm not sure what that tells me, but someone else might see a clue there.  That settings menu issue appears to be a problem unrelated to the audio issue, though.

Roxio needs to be installed to a account with administrator privileges to work properly.

How are your two accounts setup? 'Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts'.