ethood

Emc Upgrade

Question

I need to vent some frustrations about this software before I officially take a loss on the purchase of this version of EMC 8.5, and reinstall my older version, EMC 7.0.

I purchased the retail version of this so-called 'up-grade' because I was told in the ad that it had new and better features... I was lied to and this version is not an upgrade, it's a downgrade and I am shocked that Roxio/Sonic can get away with lying to people and basically scamming people out of their hard earned money. If you look at the ad when deciding whether to purchase this "upgrade" or not by comparing version 7 to 8, it specifically states several things that are just not true at all. How can Roxio get away with this? :)

The ad says this:

"Edit video like a pro with Timeline, which supports multiple tracks, in-place editing and alignment control" "14 tracks" (where are these 14 tracks?)

False: According to what I've read on these forums this is just not the case and we should just accept this fact. Well, not when it clearly states it in the ad and I bought the upgrade because of this statement.

"Exercise full creative control over DVD menu options including buttons, menus, backgrounds, audio and text"

False: This is just not the case... How on earth can I exercise 'full creative control' if I can't even find the basic functions of the last version, 7.0?

The only creative control I have is the ad at the bottom that takes you to a link to 'buy more DVD menu templates' ... sorry but that just makes me want to boil! If I here the word 'upgrade' or 'purchase' again I'm going to scream!

"Personalize every photo and video project with premium content and projects 340+ Special effects and transition 80+ Photo content projects 25 Pre-designed labels 20+ Premium menu styles"

False: There are less than the previous version and they are worse, not better!

I'm just so sick of getting the shaft when it comes to software these days... I'm so ready to give up on all newly developed software because this same issue came up with an upgrade I purchased with another program and I've just about decided to call it quits and keep all the old programs I have and never upgrade anything again. My confidence in developers has been shot and I don't know what happened to the industry but it's going downhill fast and assume they will be out of a job if they keep it up because people just won't buy it anymore. I mean, why buy something that's useless... and why buy from a company that you've already had nothing but trouble and grief with? I mean, come on... you can't get away with it forever without going bankrupt.

And whatever happened to getting a book or a manual with software? These days you have to find your own way around and search and hunt for the answer yourself ... which takes forever and is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Why develop software and not want people to enjoy and like it? If they like it won't they buy it again or recommend it to others? Not because they have to buy more here and upgrade there, etc. just to get a good, fully functional, and complete product. Trying to figure out how to operate programs has gotten harder instead of easier... it's like being thrown in the deep end of the pool without a life preserver and being told to sink or swim (and paying someone to throw you in!).

And to make things worse, I had several things bookmarked on this forum for reference and to help me later on and they are all gone now including all the threads I had subscribed to or started ...and now I'm back at square one again with no help and even noticed that you have to purchase certain subscriptions to this forum... URGH!!! Why? Why? Why? :huh:

Okay, I'm done venting and I'm sorry for all the negative comments but I just had to get this off my chest... hopefully others will not buy it if they read the truth like this and several other posts about this so-called upgrade.

I'm off to uninstall now.

Very dissappointed in all software developers,

Stacey

Hi Stacey,

It's cool to let off steam, give this message a few hours and you should get some helpfull replies over items listed here that you say are not included, wait for the guru's to reply to this...

Stacey

I need to vent some frustrations about this software before I officially take a loss on the purchase of this version of EMC 8.5, and reinstall my older version, EMC 7.0.

Nothing wrong with venting as long as one keeps it 'clean' like you have. That's one of the purposes for the board. Sometimes it helps to have a place to vent and get 'off your chest'.

BTW, Both version 8 and 7 can be installed at the same time. You did not have to remove v7 and can install it again.

The ad says this:

"Edit video like a pro with Timeline, which supports multiple tracks, in-place editing and alignment control" "14 tracks" (where are these 14 tracks?)

False: According to what I've read on these forums this is just not the case and we should just accept this fact. Well, not when it clearly states it in the ad and I bought the upgrade because of this statement.

There are 14 tracks if you count all of the internal ones also for all of the various audio, video & text tracks.

"Exercise full creative control over DVD menu options including buttons, menus, backgrounds, audio and text"

False: This is just not the case... How on earth can I exercise 'full creative control' if I can't even find the basic functions of the last version, 7.0?

The only creative control I have is the ad at the bottom that takes you to a link to 'buy more DVD menu templates' ... sorry but that just makes me want to boil! If I here the word 'upgrade' or 'purchase' again I'm going to scream!

This one is subjective, and depends on what one expects from the term "full creative control". I'll agree that there does appear to be some functions that are not available in MyDVD that have menu options, but buttons can be changed somewhat, menus can be changed, text can be changed and image/audio backgrounds can be changed. So there is some control over all of them, but apparently not the level that you expected it to be.

If there are things in v7 that you have trouble with, if you decide to re-install it, than please post back to the forum in the area for it and maybe some of the other users here can try to help you out.

"Personalize every photo and video project with premium content and projects 340+ Special effects and transition 80+ Photo content projects 25 Pre-designed labels 20+ Premium menu styles"

False: There are less than the previous version and they are worse, not better!

Doing a quick check of how many I have, I have at least what is listed here. If you have less, than that is a result of one of 2 things. 1. You did not install the Content disc (or 2nd download file if that is how you purchased). 2. Your 'rendering' settings in MyDVD & Videowave is set to software, which means your video card does not appear to fully support directx 9. Some of the items listed, like 3d transitions, require video cards to be fully compatible with directx 9, and if it is not, those will not be listed, even if the content was installed. You can usually tell if you open up Videowave or MyDVD, then go to tools->options and see if the rendering is set to Hardware or Software. Software indicates your card does not appear to be fully compliant. You can run the test there and see if it changes.You could check for a driver update for your video card if you have installed all of the content.

No hard copy manual? That does seem to be the trend these days with most software. Some don't like it, some do, and some don't really care either way. You obviously do, and there are others who have posted the same feelings. Maybe Sonic/Roxio will see your opinion on that and consider changing what they do.

Finally, as to the forum change, I understood that they had to change the software product used for it, but don;t know the specifics of course. Unfortunately the old posts were not transferable to the new version because of a compatibility problem, not because they didn't want to. There were many of the users that kept separate 'notes' gleaned from the old boards, so if you remember the basics of what program and module you want info on, post a new topic in that area and I'm sure someone will help you out if they can.

You had a lot to say in your post, and covered alot of ground. I hope this has helped some at least. And while I can't speak for the other users here, I'm sure that if you're willing to post about specific issues you are having, in the area they are specific to, there will be users here willing to try to help you.

Stacey

Nothing wrong with venting as long as one keeps it 'clean' like you have. That's one of the purposes for the board. Sometimes it helps to have a place to vent and get 'off your chest'.

BTW, Both version 8 and 7 can be installed at the same time. You did not have to remove v7 and can install it again.

There are 14 tracks if you count all of the internal ones also for all of the various audio, video & text tracks.

This one is subjective, and depends on what one expects from the term "full creative control". I'll agree that there does appear to be some functions that are not available in MyDVD that have menu options, but buttons can be changed somewhat, menus can be changed, text can be changed and image/audio backgrounds can be changed. So there is some control over all of them, but apparently not the level that you expected it to be.

If there are things in v7 that you have trouble with, if you decide to re-install it, than please post back to the forum in the area for it and maybe some of the other users here can try to help you out.

Doing a quick check of how many I have, I have at least what is listed here. If you have less, than that is a result of one of 2 things. 1. You did not install the Content disc (or 2nd download file if that is how you purchased). 2. Your 'rendering' settings in MyDVD & Videowave is set to software, which means your video card does not appear to fully support directx 9. Some of the items listed, like 3d transitions, require video cards to be fully compatible with directx 9, and if it is not, those will not be listed, even if the content was installed. You can usually tell if you open up Videowave or MyDVD, then go to tools->options and see if the rendering is set to Hardware or Software. Software indicates your card does not appear to be fully compliant. You can run the test there and see if it changes.You could check for a driver update for your video card if you have installed all of the content.

No hard copy manual? That does seem to be the trend these days with most software. Some don't like it, some do, and some don't really care either way. You obviously do, and there are others who have posted the same feelings. Maybe Sonic/Roxio will see your opinion on that and consider changing what they do.

Finally, as to the forum change, I understood that they had to change the software product used for it, but don;t know the specifics of course. Unfortunately the old posts were not transferable to the new version because of a compatibility problem, not because they didn't want to. There were many of the users that kept separate 'notes' gleaned from the old boards, so if you remember the basics of what program and module you want info on, post a new topic in that area and I'm sure someone will help you out if they can.

You had a lot to say in your post, and covered alot of ground. I hope this has helped some at least. And while I can't speak for the other users here, I'm sure that if you're willing to post about specific issues you are having, in the area they are specific to, there will be users here willing to try to help you.

Great job Larry :huh::):D

I do not count 14 tracks in Videowave, however, I do count several 'overlay tracks' in the create slideshow option, which makes no sense to me...

Example: When you click to create a slideshow and then go through all of the options by choosing your photos, background audio, and go through the whole 'wizard interface' stuff, you are given a few options here which some are... Photo Stack, 2x2 collage, 2x2 extreme, etc., etc., ... if you chose one of the 2x2's or the photostack you are taken to the next page where you can ... 'save, burn, create video file, or... "Edit in VideoWave".... if you choose to "Edit in VideoWave" it opens up the VideoWave app and then if you click on the Timeline View instead of the Storyboard View you clearly see these three extra overlay tracks, ovl1, ovl2, ovl3, ovl4... now, what I don't understand is why can't I access these same extra overlay (ovl) tracks in VideoWave? In VideoWave there is only one, ovl1, I've tried and tried and looked and looked and can't seem to find a way to do this... it seems to me that if you are able to do this in the slideshow with the wizard than you should be able do it yourself in VideoWave, right?

My video card is just fine as it's brand new and completely compliant, and yes I did install the content disc from the very beginning and still have it with the full content installed, ... I checked this a long while back when I posted to this forum a few months ago, and yes, my renderer is on hardware instead of software and I did the test and everything is fine... my computer is brand new with the latest and greatest of just about everything... it's a Dell Dim 9100 with all the fixins'... my direct x is perfectly fine 9.0c, which I've always known that this is important even when I had my older computer a few months ago so I made sure when I ordered this new one that everything was up to date and there... and even checked it for other software compatability along with this one. Even did it through the run command and divxdiag, etc., etc., and I'm still having problems with this software...

Another example: In Roxio's help files, built in with the program along with the basic tutorial files, there are these instructions for Saving A Custom Overlay

To save a custom overlay:

Make sure you are viewing an overlay attached to an individual item or an entire production.

Once you have created your custom overly effect, on the Preview toolbar, click Save as Custom Object.

The Save Item dialog box appears.

Well, my Save as Custom Object is greyed out and doesn't work! Why? Why would Roxio even have this option if you can't use it? Why is it greyed out? Why have a tutorial or help file for it if you can't even use it? Please explain, please?

This is just a few of the several, several frustrating things that I have had to deal with... please tell me why?

Stacey

I do not count 14 tracks in Videowave, however, I do count several 'overlay tracks' in the create slideshow option, which makes no sense to me...

Example: When you click to create a slideshow and then go through all of the options by choosing your photos, background audio, and go through the whole 'wizard interface' stuff, you are given a few options here which some are... Photo Stack, 2x2 collage, 2x2 extreme, etc., etc., ... if you chose one of the 2x2's or the photostack you are taken to the next page where you can ... 'save, burn, create video file, or... "Edit in VideoWave".... if you choose to "Edit in VideoWave" it opens up the VideoWave app and then if you click on the Timeline View instead of the Storyboard View you clearly see these three extra overlay tracks, ovl1, ovl2, ovl3, ovl4... now, what I don't understand is why can't I access these same extra overlay (ovl) tracks in VideoWave? In VideoWave there is only one, ovl1, I've tried and tried and looked and looked and can't seem to find a way to do this... it seems to me that if you are able to do this in the slideshow with the wizard than you should be able do it yourself in VideoWave, right?

As to the number of tracks, the 14, remember that refers to not just overlays, but to other types of tracks like audio, narration, text, and special effects. Combined they should equal 14.

Why there are some things that can be done using the wizards that can't be done manually, I am not sure. It could be related to the 'features missing' issues that keep coming up (see help files response at end).

My video card is just fine as it's brand new and completely compliant, and yes I did install the content disc from the very beginning and still have it with the full content installed, ... I checked this a long while back when I posted to this forum a few months ago, and yes, my renderer is on hardware instead of software and I did the test and everything is fine... my computer is brand new with the latest and greatest of just about everything... it's a Dell Dim 9100 with all the fixins'... my direct x is perfectly fine 9.0c, which I've always known that this is important even when I had my older computer a few months ago so I made sure when I ordered this new one that everything was up to date and there... and even checked it for other software compatibility along with this one. Even did it through the run command and divxdiag, etc., etc., and I'm still having problems with this software...

Based on this, you should be seeing all of the transitions, overlays, effects, etc as noted earlier. For what the other problems are that you 'are still having problems with', when you post about those, just include this info, or refer to this post.

Another example: In Roxio's help files, built in with the program along with the basic tutorial files, there are these instructions for Saving A Custom Overlay

To save a custom overlay:

Make sure you are viewing an overlay attached to an individual item or an entire production.

Once you have created your custom overly effect, on the Preview toolbar, click Save as Custom Object.

The Save Item dialog box appears.

Well, my Save as Custom Object is greyed out and doesn't work! Why? Why would Roxio even have this option if you can't use it? Why is it greyed out? Why have a tutorial or help file for it if you can't even use it? Please explain, please?

Why some things are disabled on menus is not entirely clear. We don't know if they haven't finished developing them and intend to include them later or what. Being just users like everyone else here, (except for the Roxio Administrators, like patatrox) we don;t have any information on what Sonic/Roxio had/has in mind for this. Maybe they will be in a update at some point. It's been brought up a number of times, and one of the things pointed to is the disclaimer at the top of every help file page. You can see an example in this post: http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...findpost&p=3886

Okay, with no sleep at all last night, I uninstalled Roxio 8 and did a quick check of all my drivers to make sure they were all up to date. I re-installed (fresh install) Roxio 7, did the update and I'm going to leave it on my computer and am about to install Roxio 8 again... I'm hoping that both versions will run with no problems... I'll post back to update on how it went.

In light of all that I have been through with this program I still have some hope in Roxio... I just don't understand one thing though and perhaps you can enlighten me. Why do you guys (the guru's and expert's of this forum, which I do understand that you are users and it's just your level of how much you have participated on these boards) hang out here if you don't represent Roxio? What's in it for you? I mean, I understand that you are 'greatful' for other's help on here but don't you have lives? I mean, why hang out here and answer questions day in and day out if there's nothing in it for you? That just doesn't make sense to me. Also, I hate to inform you guys of this but it's just the truth... 'You guys are Roxio support'... unfortunately, Roxio has suckered you guys into being the scapegoat and either you enjoy it or you wouldn't do it or be here... because there is no other support out there and you've basically set yourselves up to be the 'support team' whether you admit it or not. I just don't understand why and just don't get it I guess... just curious as to why you would do this to yourselves?

I do appreciate the help and have always felt greatful (granpabruce helped me several times with Roxio 7 on the old boards... thanks grandpabruce) but I guess I just don't get it and I'm probably just a selfish person and/or clueless about what goes on behind Roxio closed doors ...but it would be cool to understand why it's set up this way.

Stacey

Hi Stacey

Im not a Guru of any sorts but my answer to why I stay on this board is that there are users out there that have issues, and as you have said (because there is no other support out there) and people here are users of the product from the start of its creation, i have only been a hard user from version 6, but some here have had them all,

I personaly dont care that im classed as ('You guys are Roxio support') as if people arround here didnt help then in my eyes we wouldnt see better products come though, and we hope that some issues shown here can get passed back to the right people to fix the issues if posable.

Im open in saying i Like these products and use them more than dayly and want to make sure im over any small issues or patchs that might cause me probs in a later date.

Plus there is the options sometimes to be included in the betas and then you can add in what items you want to see and use , and to me it makes a diference.

i wish you luck on your Version 8 install, and remeber have fun and keep smileing

Edited by rydall2000

Okay, with no sleep at all last night, I uninstalled Roxio 8 and did a quick check of all my drivers to make sure they were all up to date. I re-installed (fresh install) Roxio 7, did the update and I'm going to leave it on my computer and am about to install Roxio 8 again... I'm hoping that both versions will run with no problems... I'll post back to update on how it went.

In light of all that I have been through with this program I still have some hope in Roxio... I just don't understand one thing though and perhaps you can enlighten me. Why do you guys (the guru's and expert's of this forum, which I do understand that you are users and it's just your level of how much you have participated on these boards) hang out here if you don't represent Roxio? What's in it for you? I mean, I understand that you are 'greatful' for other's help on here but don't you have lives? I mean, why hang out here and answer questions day in and day out if there's nothing in it for you? That just doesn't make sense to me. Also, I hate to inform you guys of this but it's just the truth... 'You guys are Roxio support'... unfortunately, Roxio has suckered you guys into being the scapegoat and either you enjoy it or you wouldn't do it or be here... because there is no other support out there and you've basically set yourselves up to be the 'support team' whether you admit it or not. I just don't understand why and just don't get it I guess... just curious as to why you would do this to yourselves?

I do appreciate the help and have always felt greatful (granpabruce helped me several times with Roxio 7 on the old boards... thanks grandpabruce) but I guess I just don't get it and I'm probably just a selfish person and/or clueless about what goes on behind Roxio closed doors ...but it would be cool to understand why it's set up this way.

Stacey

Roxio has never, ever 'suckered' me into anything. I happen to work in front of a computer most of the day and take short breaks to help others out and enjoy the computer world and hang out here whenever I feel like it.

For me, I came here a few years ago for help (a number of times) and learned something and when I read questions from others that I knew the answers to, I helped. I still learn something every day from many posters who are first timers....just becuase you post here once doesn't really make you a newbie, just new to the board. I love to learn and it's free.....my favorite four letter word.

I ended up being on here the way most other people have,in need of help in the first place.Then after time,as Paul says,you try to pass things on to others when you remember how you felt when you were looking for answers.The Gurus and others don't just sit here all day long waiting for people to post hoping we can come up with the answers.We all have lives and jobs.We're from all over the globe.You'll find yourself getting answers from different people alot depending on what time it is.I think mostly we do this just to give back a little of what we got in the beginning.Why does anyone join a forum,chat room or whatever?I guess that's one of the great mysteries.For us,I figure it's because we like being here.

well said Terry and Paul, i was stuck in a mental block here at work, but you said it so right...

theres that free word again Paul, Free beer? free help? he he he

Edited by rydall2000

well said Terry and Paul, i was stuck in a mental block here at work, but you said it so right...

theres that free word again Paul, Free beer? free help? he he he

I'm sorry but 'free' is not a what I had in mind when coming to this forum... it was my only choice. And as far as 'wanting to help others' because you were helped is just sad... it's sad because you had to be helped so much in the first place... I understand that you want to give back to other users but I just don't understand why so much help has to be given in this way in the first place. I realize that all software needs a few bugs, kinks and a few things 'troubleshooted' but, this software and few others have been more of a headache to me than anything. There are some software packages that are just more trouble than they're worth and I've about to come this conclusion with Roxio... and soon if there is no patch available within the next few weeks. I also understand the beta testing reason for helping out to some degree but still have no clue as to why some software (such as this one) gets released with no improvements whatsoever and is just a different user interface with a few frufru things thrown in ... I mean, that's not an upgrade if you ask me and I've seen this more and more over the years. I've used Roxio sense version 6 and have used it for quite some time... I think about 4 years aprox... but I've never been so pleased with it that I'd consider backing them up and swearing by their product. I've spent more hours troubleshooting and trying to find out info more than I've actually used it.... that's just not a good program if you ask me.

Sorry Stacey, the free part was a personal joke to Paul there and no way pointed at you or ment as part of any chats here , sorry for the comment if you thought it was ment to you.

If it wasn't for people like myself spending time from their "sad" little lives to be here then people like you would have no one to vent at.That's what forums are,a two way coversation between parties.One seeking help and the other or others trying to give it.If you look on the net a great majority of software out there has some kind of forum going.For people to talk about,problem solve,whatever.By your definition this makes a great majority of the software out there "more trouble than they're worth".I don't think you're going to find 1 place where you find Paul or myself "swearing by" this product.All we're trying to do is lend a hand.I'm sorry that you think this is such a terrible waste of our lives.

Sorry Paul,don't mean to speak for you.

If it wasn't for people like myself spending time from their "sad" little lives to be here then people like you would have no one to vent at.That's what forums are,a two way coversation between parties.One seeking help and the other or others trying to give it.If you look on the net a great majority of software out there has some kind of forum going.For people to talk about,problem solve,whatever.By your definition this makes a great majority of the software out there "more trouble than they're worth".I don't think you're going to find 1 place where you find Paul or myself "swearing by" this product.All we're trying to do is lend a hand.I'm sorry that you think this is such a terrible waste of our lives.

I second that. I am here because when I first started, three years ago, I was fairly new to the computer not to mention a program that does video and slideshow projects. I didn't have problems with the software and still don't but the people on the forum were very good about helping me with my learning curve, plus I learned from others question. I learned different possiblities not covered in help or a manuel. I find the people on the forum very nice and am glad to be a part of this forum. I feel when others have given of their time to help me, the least I can do is help others when possible. :)

Edited by nanaoneal

Oh my... you seem insulted. Wow, you have obviously got some issues about my questioning why you guys do this... and I think you need to understand why I ask too ... I have been to other boards/forums before and you may think I don't understand why people help out but you are wrong because I do... I myself have helped many, many people on the WMM forums where PapaJohn and several others have a much better outlook about 'helping others out' than you guys do... so why help out if you get so bent out of shape about our questions and why strike out at the only avenue of help that we have for Roxio? ... I've read these forums for over 2 years now and started topics myself but I guess I just can't understand why we get treated the way we do by the only help that we have... I've seen users here get so desperate for help that they beg and you guys seem to get more rude when they get desperate... I mean, there are no books, no tutorials, no answers, nothing for version 8 users... and all we are asking for is answers from Roxio and this is it... this is all we got... nothing else except 'us users'... with WMM there are tons and tons of tuts, books, and all kinds of ways to get help... but with Roxio there is none! So, again, all I was asking is why... so if you are truly insulted by my simple question as to why, then I think you have much worse issues ... please don't worry your little head over 'us poor little ol' dummies' ... you obviously seem to think we have no clue about what we're doing so don't worry about it.

I guess I don't get it.You question our motives for doing what we do and then you turn around and say this:

"I myself have helped many, many people on the WMM forums where PapaJohn and several others have a much better outlook about 'helping others out' than you guys do".I don't see what the difference is other than a different forum.You're trying to help,as are we.We don't have all the answers,no one does.We don't work for Roxio.We just do what we can.

I apologize if I've insulted you in any way.I never called you or anyone else a dummy.We were just trying to answer your question as to why we do what we do.

I guess I don't get it.You question our motives for doing what we do and then you turn around and say this:

"I myself have helped many, many people on the WMM forums where PapaJohn and several others have a much better outlook about 'helping others out' than you guys do".I don't see what the difference is other than a different forum.You're trying to help,as are we.We don't have all the answers,no one does.We don't work for Roxio.We just do what we can.

I apologize if I've insulted you in any way.I never called you or anyone else a dummy.We were just trying to answer your question as to why we do what we do.

You don't see the difference between these two forums?!? I'm shocked... c'mon, you can't be serious... have you seen the difference between programs at all? Have you ever visited the wmm forums? It's like night and day! :)

I'll tell ya, there is a world of difference and what kills me is that wmm is free... :huh: I should have never bought any of Roxio's products ... if I would have looked at the forums first, I would have never bought it... lesson learned.

um... no, you were not trying to answer a question as to why you do what you do... you said:

"If it wasn't for people like myself spending time from their "sad" little lives to be here then people like you would have no one to vent at."

I hardly think that these forums would be empty and that we would have no one vent at... because believe me, there would still be a bunch of mad people trying to find out answers and we would just be venting with each other and maybe even going on a hunt for the Roxio people to give our money back... you're the one that deems yourself the one answer them. Am I right?

All I've done is help out when I could on the wmm forums because I just knew the answers ... no one knows the answers here. :D

I've read these forums for over 2 years now and started topics myself

Then

if I would have looked at the forums first, I would have never bought it...

So just a question back, what part of been on the forums for to years and what part of “if I would have looked at the forums first, I would have never bought it" did you get mixed up on?

If you have been on here for years then you would of been able to see the posts from the time it came out till now?... so are you procrastinating now?, face it you bort a product because you wanted it, then it didn’t work for you OR you could not work out how to use it , and now you have vented your indecisions here?

We are not here to fight with you or argue, you have issues with Roxio and with people who help other "as best as they can" on this site, we don’t to be Psychologically Evaluated?

We do it because we care about a product & people and want to learn our selves

Give it a rest People…

I agree with Stacy in the sense that this software has numerous severe flaws. One popular response to the majority of problems that people post on these boards is to upgrade your drivers. Upgrade your video card drivers - upgrade your audio drivers - upgrade your motherboard drivers - your bios - your chipset software installation utility - and the beat goes on.

Those are valid responses - and in some cases they may help a particular problem that an individual may be having - but the problem is much deeper than that.

Stacey is a good example. Brand new computer - cutting edge everything - and still problems. Still issues. You can tell that she is literate and versed, like many others that post problems and questions, but the software, with all of it's glitz and glitter is amounting to a $100 headache. Stacey is also right about spending more time searching and posting the boards for answers than actually being able to use and enjoy the software. I got emc7 when I bought my computer about 2 years ago. I had never done any video editing. My projects and productions got increasingly larger, and were somewhat impressive (if only to me) as I discovered new techniques and ways of achieving the things I envisioned. I actually never went to the message boards in emc7, because I didn't really have any major problems. Now, was I doing things in the way tha some of the guru's were doing things? Probably not always on their level, but sometimes I'm sure I was. I guess my point is that I was able to put together a project - no matter what the size or how flashy it was, and I could get through it without encoding errors, freezing, skipping, and whatever else I have encountered in emc8. It may not have been the flashiest production, but I could start it, tinker with it, and burn it to a disc when I was done.

Emc8 has been a nightmare for me. I am pretty computer literate. I do not have 5000 postings to say that I am, but I have spent a substantial time on computers since I was 11, when I got my TI-80 that hooked up to my tv, saved to cassette, and programmed in binary. Now, I'm in no way tooting my own horn, because that carries zero weight, when little Johnny goes to tech school, and surpasses my plodding and trodding in a matter of a couple of months. And, that is not also to take a shot at the guru's (even if by the time they ever get this software right, WE WILL ALL BE GURU'S from the continual problems and postings we will achieve) - because I think the guru's do have great knowledge - and great experience - and if they are willing to spend the time to try to help others, than I think that's great - and I fully appreciate them, and anybody else who is trying to help.

But, once again, Stacey is correct. Where are the Roxio Guru's? The one's who should be posting their lives away on these forums - in the very least acknowledging some of these severe problems, and saying "hey, we know we're having problems with x,y, and z - we're busting our butt's trying to correct them - please hang with us."

Instead - not much - just a bunch of people banging their collective heads against a wall - proving the definition of insanity - trying to do the same thing over and over and expecting different results. And before you go there - anybody - trust me - I've tried everything with the problems I've encountered since receiving emc8 on December 7th - and it just ain't happening.

Side note - just to top things off from Roxio - I recieved an email yesterday saying my rebate was invalid because it wasn't recieved until Jan 21st, 2006. Ok, I didn't mail it on Dec 8th - the day after I recieved my wonderful program - after waiting almost a month for it to ship because it was out of stock. That's a nice slap in the face - "here, buy our program that will not work as expected, that you will have great problems with, and oh, by the way, we'll deny your rebate too."

The next step for Roxio will be to outsource their support to India.

Look, I am optimistic. I believe that they will correct these issues - most of which I believe have to do with encoding - but obviously heavily in other areas as well. I'm just not feelin' it right now though. I'm feeling like they said "here - there's some problems with it, but for the most part it works - kind of" and that pretty much sucks.

I posted the other day that I fired up my emc7, just to see what it was like, and it was nice. Ran like a champ.

I hope they get this one right too.

But, once again, Stacey is correct. Where are the Roxio Guru's? The one's who should be posting their lives away on these forums - in the very least acknowledging some of these severe problems, and saying "hey, we know we're having problems with x,y, and z - we're busting our butt's trying to correct them - please hang with us."

Unfortunately, there is where you missed the point. The Gurus are software customers like youself, who are trying to help other users. They DON'T HAVE POWER TO CHANGE ANYTHING, much as they would like to.

I don't think I'm giving away any secrets when I say the Gurus get just as frustrated as you are, over certain things. They pass their frustrations very forcefully up to the Roxio representative, who in turn passes them on upstairs (and is often equally frustrated, but tries his best)

I'm not making this posting to try and defend Roxio, as I am just as dismayed as you are about such things as when Version 8 was released, and how ready it was for release, and so on and so on.

What I am asking everyone to do is LAY OFF THE GURUS. They're here on their own time trying to help you. If you aren't prepared to help other users yourself, at least get out of the way and don't abuse the volunteers.

Ethood, I'm disappointed with you. You go on about this WWF board or whatever it is (wrestling??) and don't even have the decency to tell people what it is so they can look for themselves. If you want to vent at Roxio/Sonic then write to THEM and tell them. Don't come here and abuse the volunteers. If these forums upset you so much, please feel free to go to the other forums and stay there.

As I said before, if you're not prepared to help, at least step out of the way for those who are trying to.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this. May we now return to helping the users as much as we can?

I agree with Stacy in the sense that this software has numerous severe flaws. One popular response to the majority of problems that people post on these boards is to upgrade your drivers. Upgrade your video card drivers - upgrade your audio drivers - upgrade your motherboard drivers - your bios - your chipset software installation utility - and the beat goes on.

Those are valid responses - and in some cases they may help a particular problem that an individual may be having - but the problem is much deeper than that.

Stacey is a good example. Brand new computer - cutting edge everything - and still problems. Still issues. You can tell that she is literate and versed, like many others that post problems and questions, but the software, with all of it's glitz and glitter is amounting to a $100 headache. Stacey is also right about spending more time searching and posting the boards for answers than actually being able to use and enjoy the software. I got emc7 when I bought my computer about 2 years ago. I had never done any video editing. My projects and productions got increasingly larger, and were somewhat impressive (if only to me) as I discovered new techniques and ways of achieving the things I envisioned. I actually never went to the message boards in emc7, because I didn't really have any major problems. Now, was I doing things in the way tha some of the guru's were doing things? Probably not always on their level, but sometimes I'm sure I was. I guess my point is that I was able to put together a project - no matter what the size or how flashy it was, and I could get through it without encoding errors, freezing, skipping, and whatever else I have encountered in emc8. It may not have been the flashiest production, but I could start it, tinker with it, and burn it to a disc when I was done.

Emc8 has been a nightmare for me. I am pretty computer literate. I do not have 5000 postings to say that I am, but I have spent a substantial time on computers since I was 11, when I got my TI-80 that hooked up to my tv, saved to cassette, and programmed in binary. Now, I'm in no way tooting my own horn, because that carries zero weight, when little Johnny goes to tech school, and surpasses my plodding and trodding in a matter of a couple of months. And, that is not also to take a shot at the guru's (even if by the time they ever get this software right, WE WILL ALL BE GURU'S from the continual problems and postings we will achieve) - because I think the guru's do have great knowledge - and great experience - and if they are willing to spend the time to try to help others, than I think that's great - and I fully appreciate them, and anybody else who is trying to help.

Instead - not much - just a bunch of people banging their collective heads against a wall - proving the definition of insanity - trying to do the same thing over and over and expecting different results. And before you go there - anybody - trust me - I've tried everything with the problems I've encountered since receiving emc8 on December 7th - and it just ain't happening.

Side note - just to top things off from Roxio - I recieved an email yesterday saying my rebate was invalid because it wasn't recieved until Jan 21st, 2006. Ok, I didn't mail it on Dec 8th - the day after I recieved my wonderful program - after waiting almost a month for it to ship because it was out of stock. That's a nice slap in the face - "here, buy our program that will not work as expected, that you will have great problems with, and oh, by the way, we'll deny your rebate too."

Look, I am optimistic. I believe that they will correct these issues - most of which I believe have to do with encoding - but obviously heavily in other areas as well. I'm just not feelin' it right now though. I'm feeling like they said "here - there's some problems with it, but for the most part it works - kind of" and that pretty much sucks.

I posted the other day that I fired up my emc7, just to see what it was like, and it was nice. Ran like a champ.

If I might add my 2 cents worth. I purchased the retail version (boxed) and it came with a manual and a rebate coupon for $20.00. I only have (2) problems 1. I can't get Media impot to launch my scanner and 2. my tv card could capture full video in version 7 and now it will only capture 320x240. All else seems to be working just fine.

QUOTE(exsvcsinc @ Jan 23 2006, 08:21 AM)

Unfortunately, there is where you missed the point. The Gurus are software customers like youself, who are trying to help other users. They DON'T HAVE POWER TO CHANGE ANYTHING, much as they would like to.

Guru - I'm not trying to debate this with you, but I believe it is you who missed the point. This is clearly what I said:

And, that is not also to take a shot at the guru's (even if by the time they ever get this software right, WE WILL ALL BE GURU'S from the continual problems and postings we will achieve) - because I think the guru's do have great knowledge - and great experience - and if they are willing to spend the time to try to help others, than I think that's great - and I fully appreciate them, and anybody else who is trying to help.

and to Rzmora - I am happy for you, but you are in the vast minority - again, I'm not looking to debate, but the message boards are full of varying levels of users, with varying levels of systems, and varying levels of problems.

Ethood, I'm disappointed with you. You go on about this WWF board or whatever it is (wrestling??) and don't even have the decency to tell people what it is so they can look for themselves. If you want to vent at Roxio/Sonic then write to THEM and tell them. Don't come here and abuse the volunteers. If these forums upset you so much, please feel free to go to the other forums and stay there.

I'm sorry that you're dissappointed with me... I'm not sure where I let you down but I just assumed that you being the guru that you are would surely know what wmm is... Windows Movie Maker... it comes free with every Windows Operating system... and there are two forums for it, one being the windows movie maker forums where a Microsoft MVP 'volunteers' to answer questions about it... and has also written and co-authored 3 to 4 books about Windows Movie maker (wmm), and has a website along with newsletters, etc..

You said: "... please feel free to go to the other forums and stay there." ....

Well I would if they had Roxio support!!!! But this is all I have unless you can tell me of another!

I will now "get out of your way" so that you can 'volunteer' until your little heart is content!

Good Luck!

Stacey

I recently purchased 2 new systems and took off all the crap that is installed from the factories, reformated the drive and installed 8 and it's working fine. That's a good point. So many people install software on top of other software that conflicts. In fact, I've had very few problems with 6, 7, & 7.5 so I guess I'm just lucky. You think all the so called 'gurus' don't have problems? That's why they came to this forum in the first place. But, instead of trashing free help, they worked with those who tried to help them to fix their problems then, went on to help others.

I've never been to the WMM forums and don't care to since I don't use that software. I'm sure it's great since MS designed it and also sure the gurus are nice too. That's great as well. What you don't see here that often are those who post back to thank all who helped. And, no one sees the private messages of help either.

Your points are well taken but if you cannot post anything here other than the 'we're better than you' mentallity, it would be best that you don't post here at all.

I recently purchased 2 new systems and took off all the crap that is installed from the factories, reformated the drive and installed 8 and it's working fine. That's a good point. So many people install software on top of other software that conflicts. In fact, I've had very few problems with 6, 7, & 7.5 so I guess I'm just lucky. You think all the so called 'gurus' don't have problems? That's why they came to this forum in the first place. But, instead of trashing free help, they worked with those who tried to help them to fix their problems then, went on to help others.

I've never been to the WMM forums and don't care to since I don't use that software. I'm sure it's great since MS designed it and also sure the gurus are nice too. That's great as well. What you don't see here that often are those who post back to thank all who helped. And, no one sees the private messages of help either.

Your points are well taken but if you cannot post anything here other than the 'we're better than you' mentallity, it would be best that you don't post here at all.

You know what, I'm just repsonding to what's been said that has obviously gotten way out of hand here, because my original question was just out of curiousity and I can tell that this is getting absolutely nothing accomplished... and I never said that 'we're better than you' nor did I have the 'mentallity' when I posted that... it was a response to the above post.

I am trying to stop posting here but obviously this thread has no end to the comments that keep popping up for some reason and has hit some sore spots... which I'm sure there are many.

Please try and learn from this and go on because I've given up on Roxio already... it's dead and I'm burying it... may it rest in peace... it's now time to move on to bigger and better things and I just have to find out what my options are in another software.

Windows Movie Maker is only one of the two programs that I have used in the past (with the small exception of using Photo Story once a long time ago)... and btw, movie maker comes installed on all windows operating systems so my new computer is not loaded down with a bunch of software.

Stacey