EMC 9 - Can't Burn a DVD - Crashes

moviemaker

Question

Ok, I'm a pretty patient person but I'm just about out of it by now. I've got an HP Pavillion zd8000 laptop. Have installed EMC 9 TWICE. I'm trying to burn a CD of 16 movies I made that are WMV files. Altogether they total 150MB. The DVD allows for 4.7G, right? My system is packed, but I do have 7 GB available. According to tech support that will do it. They told me today to uninstall IE7 which is what is the cause of the problems I've been having, they think. What happens is that I can get the program all set up, the burn is underway and then I get to about 75%, nearly there, and then it crashes. The disc pops out of the drive and teh program shuts down. I'm unable to recognize anything on the DVD by viewing it in the DVD player or by re-writing to it. By the way, I've used both DVD-R and DVD+R and get the same result. Any ideas anyone? I attempted to talk to tech support and waited in the queue for nearly an hour (I said I was paitient) and was completely frustrated by then. From what the manual says what I'm trying to do should be no problem. I'd GREATLY appreciate any input, suggestions, ideas, help. THANKS in advance.

6 answers to this question

Welcome to the Roxio support nightmare. I have the similar experience. EMC 9 seems to be an unusable alpha software.

Perhaps you should ask the customer support how are you supposed to install Microsoft updates in the future without MS-IE.

I asked for my money back.

I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!!! The problem seemed to be that I cannot burn a DVD from Compile Movies component or function. Not sure why as the book describes exactly how to and says the end product would be a viewable DVD. Anyway...at my wits end I tried MY DVD...and it worked. I was able to burn all 16 movies (150MB total) onto ONE disc AND have menus for all. Phew... I hope anyone reading this can resolve their problems in that way. Unfortunatley, I tried reaching the company but got left on hold for 1 hour once and the other time was rushed off with a quick hand off solution of uninstalling IE 7. "Try that and call me back. Thanks for calling Roxio..." AAAaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh... The product seems as though it could be great, but either the book provided needs to be more comprehensive, or RoxAnn needs to be able to help, or the knowledge base should have more 'key words and phrases' or customer service can support the flood of calls that come into Customer Service. Something! Anyway...good luck all.

Ok, I'm a pretty patient person but I'm just about out of it by now. I've got an HP Pavillion zd8000 laptop. Have installed EMC 9 TWICE. I'm trying to burn a CD of 16 movies I made that are WMV files. Altogether they total 150MB. The DVD allows for 4.7G, right? My system is packed, but I do have 7 GB available. According to tech support that will do it. They told me today to uninstall IE7 which is what is the cause of the problems I've been having, they think. What happens is that I can get the program all set up, the burn is underway and then I get to about 75%, nearly there, and then it crashes. The disc pops out of the drive and teh program shuts down. I'm unable to recognize anything on the DVD by viewing it in the DVD player or by re-writing to it. By the way, I've used both DVD-R and DVD+R and get the same result. Any ideas anyone? I attempted to talk to tech support and waited in the queue for nearly an hour (I said I was paitient) and was completely frustrated by then. From what the manual says what I'm trying to do should be no problem. I'd GREATLY appreciate any input, suggestions, ideas, help. THANKS in advance.

Welcome to the Roxio support nightmare. I have the similar experience. EMC 9 seems to be an unusable alpha software.

Perhaps you should ask the customer support how are you supposed to install Microsoft updates in the future without MS-IE.

No one can ever predict what MS will break with there next fix… However it is well established that the final release of IE7 is fully compatible with EMC 9.

In the case of moviemaker, one would assume that Tech Support found his version of IE7 to be one of the betas.

isa: you have yet to provide any info on your equipment beyond you couldn't get V8 to work for you, now V9 doesn't either…

I have no doubt you have problems, but it would be best to complete the thread you started before resorting to slandering a product.

If that is the case, why does Roxio techsupport instruct users to uninstall IE7? I received the latest such instruction yesterday evening EST.

I have provided complete information in another thread in this forum. I mailed the same info to Roxio techsupport. It was utterly ignored. The incident was "closed" without any attention to the info I provided.

If you are interested, here it is (ticket # 281508):

When creating ISO file using DVD creator the ISO file is transcoded to the

point where program is supposed to create the menu. Instead it crashes with

the standard Microsoft report window.

The following entry is logged in the event log:

Faulting application videowave9.exe, version 9.0.2.16, faulting module

dvdvideomanager.dll, version 9.0.1.34, fault address 0x00010528.

The size of the ISO file is around 7.1GB and it should be burned onto a DL

DVD+R media. The crash is 100% repeatable. As such your software is unusable.

I have been in this computing business since 1972. I've seen (and created) hundreds of programs. I am accustomed to machines with 100's of CPU's running years without reboot. I would be hard pressed to find a piece of less reliable software than EMC.

In my opinion, if someone is slandering the EMC it is Roxio itself, not me. I am just a schmuck who was suckered into paying my hard earned $ for it. BTW, now my request for refund is being ignored as well.

IE7 final now works fine with EMC9. Many, many posts have proved it. But, you can use IE6 to get updates. What was there before 7?

No one can ever predict what MS will break with there next fix… However it is well established that the final release of IE7 is fully compatible with EMC 9.

In the case of moviemaker, one would assume that Tech Support found his version of IE7 to be one of the betas.

isa: you have yet to provide any info on your equipment beyond you couldn't get V8 to work for you, now V9 doesn't either…

I have no doubt you have problems, but it would be best to complete the thread you started before resorting to slandering a product.

If that is the case, why does Roxio techsupport instruct users to uninstall IE7? I received the latest such instruction yesterday evening EST.

I have provided complete information in another thread in this forum. I mailed the same info to Roxio techsupport. It was utterly ignored. The incident was "closed" without any attention to the info I provided.

If you are interested, here it is (ticket # 281508):

When creating ISO file using DVD creator the ISO file is transcoded to the

point where program is supposed to create the menu. Instead it crashes with

the standard Microsoft report window.

The following entry is logged in the event log:

Faulting application videowave9.exe, version 9.0.2.16, faulting module

dvdvideomanager.dll, version 9.0.1.34, fault address 0x00010528.

The size of the ISO file is around 7.1GB and it should be burned onto a DL

DVD+R media. The crash is 100% repeatable. As such your software is unusable.

I have been in this computing business since 1972. I've seen (and created) hundreds of programs. I am accustomed to machines with 100's of CPU's running years without reboot. I would be hard pressed to find a piece of less reliable software than EMC.

In my opinion, if someone is slandering the EMC it is Roxio itself, not me. I am just a schmuck who was suckered into paying my hard earned $ for it. BTW, now my request for refund is being ignored as well.

If you received the instructions to try something and you cannot or will not follow those instructions, I don't see how anyone can help you.

Archived