JMcCon57

Sound Editor

Question

I currently use NXT Pro 5.  The only thing I really do with it is rip vinyl.  I go through an external SoundBlaster card/phono pre amp. My question is:  Is anything with Sound Editor changed with NXT Pro 7?  I've used this program going back to before it was Roxio, and it seems that Sound Editor never really gets an update.  Thanks!

12 answers to this question

Is this the similar problem you posted in the nXT5 forum ? Not sure how many of our group

are still running NXT5 so to answer your question I'm not sure if the NXT5 Sound Editor is the same as NXT7 ?

I have not noticed any big changes in the program (sound editor) over time.

I've gotten over a few hurdles with the hardware...at least I think.  I've been able to complete some rips.  Weird things going on though.  I have to go through "Creative Entertainment Console" in order to monitor what's coming through the external card and into the Roxio Sound Editor.  I'm not sure that these two play well together without some coaxing, and even then it's kind of hit and miss.  Roxio takes FOREVER to load and that didn't used to be a problem.  When I open the "console", I don't get the full sound of each channel.....I have to disable/enable the phono in monitor, and after doing that a few times, the sound opens up.  That's why I was asking if there were any updates to Sound Editor in NXT7...thinking maybe it would get rid of the problem.  I'd like to avoid using the "console" if possible, but I don't see where in Roxio to enable monitoring of the phono in through headphones.  All I hear is nothing when I try that.  Sorry for the long response.

What options do you show under the recording tab?

a.jpg.a4c7f9915dfaf8745d0777afc8c7a04b.jpg

ac.jpg.22cb50c537de6d09eebb787f4f1a4a4e.jpg

Highlight 'What U Hear' click the down arrow next to 'Set Default'

Set it as the default device.

Open Roxio Easy Audio Capture and does it show 'What U Hear' available for capture?

d.jpg.586708bf73e9182a610037af8875100d.jpg

It does show "What U Hear", but no matter what I try, it seems to still be tied to the Creative Entertainment Console, and it's Phono In.  I've deleted all the Creative software and drivers and reinstalled, but same result.  Good news, at least for now, it seems to be recording clearly what's coming off the record.  Fingers crossed.

9 hours ago, JMcCon57 said:

it seems to still be tied to the Creative Entertainment Console

Could you post a .jpg of that ' Creative Entertainment Console ' I don't have one named that way?

I have a ' Creative Console Launcher '?

c.jpg.90f3cf74eef2eb12043b378870c71532.jpgccl.jpg.132f6c38654288501a76561cf82861e7.jpg

wondering why using the intertainment console at all ?? just use the "what you hear" port with the speakers and

start the record just before actual audio starts and the stop the recording a few seconds after the end of then audio

then just go to the "sound editor" option and there do all the editing you want ????

To answer REDWAGON, I wish I could avoid using it, but I haven't found a way to be able to monitor the record without it.  If I use just "what u hear", what I hear is nothing.

To answer CDANTEEK, I've attached 3 jpegs..it seems to come with the latest drivers for the X-fi with phono preamp.

If you look at the top jpeg, on the far right is the Mic/Line/Phono In.  By default it is disabled.  If I don't go in and open the EC and enable that setting, I will hear nothing through my headphones.  When enabled it can be good, or it can behave pretty strangely....like muting only PART of a channel....I have to toggle back and forth with enable/disable, and after that tango it will clear up.

The other jpeg shows the EC choices....you have to click on the mixer to get to the top jpeg.  The other is just the Windows 10 menu options for Creative.

Please, if there is a way to monitor the recording without going through this, let me know.  Thing is, it comes with the driver package, and seems to be the only way to control the external card, or at least to monitor it.

53630337_CreativeEC3.jpg.dc8947a9e2bb3b3d4910afc0d3e12d98.jpg.

728784030_CreativeEC1.jpg.c843df81071c7e85d104fe5012571d54.jpg905039895_CreativeEC2.jpg.601dfe978978300e6fac8e9baad6bdab.jpg

Why don't your speakers connect to your line in on the sound card?

If they do why is it disabled with a red X?

I don't have speakers connected to this setup.  Laptop PC with Creative external card.  Headphones out of the card headphone jack.  As far as audio goes, this rig is strictly for needledropping, but I do need to monitor as I go.  Something as simple as the A/C cutting on can cause a "bump" in the sound of the recording.  But more to your question, that was also disabled by default.  Not sure why...….

Just an update after living with the x-fi for awhile now.  The rips are good when all is functioning well, but it's still got that weird quirk of not sending a full stereo signal through when I'm first starting up.  I still have to do the phono in shuffle (on/off) a few times and then everything opens up.  Very weird.

Still wondering if anyone knows of any major or worthwhile updates/upgrades to Sound Editor in NXT 7 pro.  And again, I'm currently using NXT 5.