Sign in to follow this  
EdK

Distorted audio- Videowave NXT 6

Question

One of the users here suggested I start a new thread as the one I was posting in was 2 years old.

I'm running Windows 10 (with most recent updates) and Roxio Creator NXT 6 (also with most recent updates).

I'm experiencing distorted audio when adding a lengthy video in Videowave.  The audio in the video I'm adding is clean as it plays perfectly via several other media players.  

Length of the video is 1 1/2 hours long in  3 segments as the maximum file size is 4gig which came directly off my camera in mp4 format.

I am attempting to stitch together the 3 segments into one file.  Upon doing so.....and even before creating a single file from it, the distortion in the audio gets progressively worse.  So bad, that by the time I'm at the end of the 1 1/2 hours, the audio is unintelligible. 

I can actually hear some distortion at the end of the first segment.  

I have opened a problem ticket with Roxio and so far all they had me do is uninstall NXT 6 (they sent me specific procedures of how to uninstall which included manually renaming folders with a .OLD suffix as the uninstall process does not clean everything up).

They also had me download a new install of NXT 6 rather than using the CD that came with NXT 6.  Upon doing so, I also had to apply SP1 and SP2 updates.  Everything installed successfully. No errors.

So, I tried it again but the audio remains distorted.

SInce it usually takes at least 24 hours before Roxio support replies to my inquiries, I decided to try an experiment and do the same thing on an old PC I have that runs Windows XP and Easy Media Creator 10.   Success.  No audio distortion.

In the 2 year old thread, other users have reported the same problem but no solutions. 

Since my experiment using WIndows XP and EMC 10 was successful, this tell me that either Windows 10 or NXT 6 or the combination of both is causing the distortion.

Has anyone else experienced this and have you found any solutions?  

Thanks...EdK

1 answer to this question

I am afraid I have to tell you that there is no fix to this problem.  It is definitely a bug in NXT 6 and NXT 7.

I made it through to Level 2 technical support where they remotely accessed my computer.  They were at a loss to correct it.  Suggestions even included I use the "clean audio" function - to modify hardware vs software rendering, and included the old standby update drivers, etc.

I am able to replicate the problem on a Win 8.1 machine, Windows 10, and Windows 7.  All have the poor audio where the audio edited is greater than 15 or so minutes.  This occurs on differing hardware (one is my macbook on duel boot).

I had attempted so many fixes they had to reset my permitted number of installs.

After a great deal of work, I have managed to discover how the problem can be replicated and reviewed:

1) Change the Proxy Files location to an easy to get to location so you can detect when the proxy files have completed rendering.

2) I delete all proxy files.

3) When a video file is first loaded - playback is fine.  (Rendering at this point will result in corrupt audio in the final result).

4) For every video edit, VideoWave creates an audio proxy file in the Proxy Files location.  When the proxy file is finished  I save the production - enter a new production, then reload the saved production.  This will then cause VideoWave to access the proxy file.  If you listen to the proxy file in a different program, like VLC, the audio is corrupted and distorted.

5) Once reloaded - the audio for the file beyond around 7-10 minutes is corrupted.

6) Even more interesting is that if I delete the proxy file and reload the production, the sound is fine - until the proxy file is created and the production reloaded.

7) Once reloaded the audio is once again corrupt.

There is something wrong in how Roxio VideoWave so that it transcodes the audio portion of the video files improperly.  I believe the settings they pass to ffmpeg are incorrect, but are hardcoded into VideoWave.

I have used many different file formats and the result is the same.

-LeeTXJD