No Menus in EMC 8 Deluxe

shawn_s

Question

I'm having a problem where I create a MyDVD DVD project (with menus), add a couple of movies to the project, and burn it to an ISO image file. I expect when I play the ISO (via the DVD emulator) to see the main menu where I could select any of the movies I put in the project to view and when the movie ended, it will either go back to the menu or play the next movie depending upon my settings. What I get, however, is an ISO with no menu which starts right out playing the 1st movie. When that movie finishes, the playback ends. I can't go to the main title menu or navigate to the next movie.

I recently installed EMC 8 Deluxe (from EMC 8 Suite) and here are the exact steps I'm taking to reproduce this problem (which doesn't exist on my previous EMC 8 Suite installation):

1. Start MyDVD

2. File/New Project/DVD

3. Add New Movie

4. Select an AVI file

5. Add a 2nd movie

6. View the settings of the 1st button and set it to play the 2nd movie when finished (the problem doesn't require this specific setting)

7. Ensure the 2nd button goes back to the menu when finished

8. Save the project

9. Click on the preview button to see how things should play

- I see my menu

- I can click on my buttons to preview the movie

- When the 1st movie ends, the 2nd movie starts

- When the 2nd movie ends, the main menu is displayed

10. Click on the burn button

11. Select to burn to an ISO image file only

12. Identify the file name and start the burn

- I see the 1st movie being encoded

- I see the 2nd movie being encoded

- I see the menu being encoded

- I see the burn complete

13. When finished, I load the ISO to my emulated DVD drive

14. The autoplay kicks in

- The 1st movie immediately starts playing (no menu)

- When I click to see the menu, the 1st movie starts all over again

- When the 1st movie ends, the playback ends (instead of going to the 2nd movie)

15. If I burn the ISO to a DVD (or do the MyDVD burn to a DVD directly), I get the same erroneous results

When I look at the emulated drive contents, I see the following files (if this helps diagnose my problem):

ROXIOPLASMA (directory)

METADATA.DAT 1mb

PLASMADATA.DAT 32kb

PROJECTDATA.DMSD 195kb

VIDEO_TS (directory)

VIDEO_TS.BUP 10kb

VIDEO_TS.IFO 10kb

VTS_01_0.BUP 14kb

VTS_01_0.IFO 14kb

VTS_01_1.VOB 18.4mb (my 1st movie)

VTS_02_0.BUP 14kb

VTS_02_0.IFO 14kb

VTS_02_1.VOB 15.9mb (my 2nd movie)

VTS_03_0.BUP 20kb

VTS_03_0.IFO 20kb

VTS_03_0.VOB 78.1mb (not playable)

VTS_03_1.VOB 512kb (not playable)

I've seen several posts out there, but please - this is not a problem with a no-menu DVD project nor a problem with my Disc Copier burn settings (I'm not even getting that far!) Any other ideas? I'm really stumped. I've tried everything. Thanks for looking at this.

Shawn

Dell XPS 600

Windows XP Pro

2GB RAM

Pentium 300MHz

250+ GB Hard Drive

EMC 8 Deluxe

13 answers to this question

sknis,

I'm sorry for the multiple posts, but I created this one because I experienced this one under EMC 8 Deluxe and not EMC 9. But sorry for that.

As for never coming back and posting my progress, I thought I had. I went back to my other 2 posts and I posted the final message to both of them - am I doing something wrong? In both cases I was hoping to hear other suggestions, but they never came.

Finally, as to your questions in this post. Yes I have tried opening the ISO in Disc Copier and I do see the menu listed. But when I do a preview, the menu doesn't play. When I go to advanced mode in Disc Copier in the DVD View, the menu is the picture displayed under the Contents label. When I do a browse to find my ISO, under "Entire DVD Content", I see my menu displayed and it says 2 movies and 1 extra (does the menu count as a "movie"? If so, it should be 3 movies). Under "Individual Movies", I see my 2 movies. Under "Individual Extras", I see my 2nd movie. In the Track View I see only one track.

I have tried uninstalling and running Roxizap and reinstalling, but I still have the same problem. Very weird.

Thanks for your input and I hope you or someone can figure out what I must be doing wrong! Would attaching my MyDVD project or ISO help?

I have updated my signature and hope it starts appearing. Thanks for the recommendation - I'm new to this and these comments help.

Do you have both V8 and V9 on your computer at the same time? I had all kinds of problems when I did that and had to relegate V8 to my old slow laptop. I believe that others had that problem also.

If you fix that problem, you may really have a problem. :) Start lecture - don't read if you really,really like D2D. Read the post pinned to the top of the board on how to read the lost files on packet writing discs. With the cost of discs today, it is much smarter and safer to burn files using Creator Classic for longer term storage.

So are you saying that I really shouldn't use D2D? I don't really use it too much except to easily erase discs, but I can do that anywhere.

A final update on my no menu problem. Last night after thinking that I had the whole problem fixed by uninstalling, roxizapping, and reinstalling EMC 8 Deluxe, I re-experienced the problem again this morning! I couldn't believe it. The only things I did after the reinstall were attempts to fix the No Recorder problem in D2D which amounted to uninstalling my drives, letting XP reinstall them, and tweaking some of the drive properties. But the last thing I did was uninstall and reinstall SlySoft's AnyDVD which gets screwed up when I roxizap things. I use AnyDVD to help with my DVDXCopy software (encryption stuff). Well, on a whim I decided to shut it down this morning and try burning my DVD again. This time the menus showed up again! If I start up AnyDVD and then try playing the ISO in the emulated drive, no menus. So obviously AnyDVD is putting its dirty paws into the playback and messing it up. So the many, many hours spent with Dell, uninstalling and reinstalling EMC tens of times could have been avoided with a simply right-mouse click/Exit on AnyDVD. #$^@.

Anyway, hopefully this thread will come in handy for other people with similar problems and configurations. Thanks again for all of your input.

Do you have both V8 and V9 on your computer at the same time? I had all kinds of problems when I did that and had to relegate V8 to my old slow laptop. I believe that others had that problem also.

I upgraded from EMC 8 Suite (not Deluxe) which was correctly burning my DVDs with menus to EMC 9. I then started getting this problem with no menus as well as numerous other crashes of MyDVD. So I uninstalled EMC 9 (so no other Roxio product on my computer) and then installed EMC 9 Deluxe. MyDVD didn't crash as much, but now I'm stuck with the no menu problem. I think it is strange that I can see my menu in the Disc Copier Media Selector window when browsing for my ISO. But when run through the emulator or after burning to an actual DVD, the menu and 2nd movie is nowhere to be found.

Wish I could get this figured out! Darn. Thanks again for pinging me on this.

By the way, after I uninstalled EMC 9 and then ran Roxizap, I had major problems with my drives being recognized by anything in Roxio. I had to call Dell and have them help me get my drives working again. So I'm not looking forward to running Roxizap again! For instance, when I put a blank DVD-R in my DVD-RW, normally I would get an empty Windows Explorer window where I could drop files to record. But Windows couldn't even tell a DVD-R was in my drive. So please don't have me run Roxizap again!!

By the way, after I uninstalled EMC 9 and then ran Roxizap, I had major problems with my drives being recognized by anything in Roxio. I had to call Dell and have them help me get my drives working again. So I'm not looking forward to running Roxizap again! For instance, when I put a blank DVD-R in my DVD-RW, normally I would get an empty Windows Explorer window where I could drop files to record. But Windows couldn't even tell a DVD-R was in my drive. So please don't have me run Roxizap again!!

XP has no ability to write to a DVD, never did!

XP has no ability to write to a DVD, never did!

That's what I gathered from posts I read out there. But even after installing EMC 8 I was having problems with writing to DVDs. The Dell tech deleted some UpperFilters and LowerFilters values in Regedit, uninstalled my drives, rebooted several dozen times, and then things started running again.

Just wish I could get EMC 8 Deluxe to burn my menus. I may have to revert back to EMC 8 Suite.

Thanks.

I'm having a problem where I create a MyDVD DVD project (with menus), add a couple of movies to the project, and burn it to an ISO image file. I expect when I play the ISO (via the DVD emulator) to see the main menu where I could select any of the movies I put in the project to view and when the movie ended, it will either go back to the menu or play the next movie depending upon my settings. What I get, however, is an ISO with no menu which starts right out playing the 1st movie. When that movie finishes, the playback ends. I can't go to the main title menu or navigate to the next movie.

I recently installed EMC 8 Deluxe (from EMC 8 Suite) and here are the exact steps I'm taking to reproduce this problem (which doesn't exist on my previous EMC 8 Suite installation):

1. Start MyDVD

2. File/New Project/DVD

3. Add New Movie

4. Select an AVI file

5. Add a 2nd movie

6. View the settings of the 1st button and set it to play the 2nd movie when finished (the problem doesn't require this specific setting)

7. Ensure the 2nd button goes back to the menu when finished

8. Save the project

9. Click on the preview button to see how things should play

- I see my menu

- I can click on my buttons to preview the movie

- When the 1st movie ends, the 2nd movie starts

- When the 2nd movie ends, the main menu is displayed

10. Click on the burn button

11. Select to burn to an ISO image file only

12. Identify the file name and start the burn

- I see the 1st movie being encoded

- I see the 2nd movie being encoded

- I see the menu being encoded

- I see the burn complete

13. When finished, I load the ISO to my emulated DVD drive

14. The autoplay kicks in

- The 1st movie immediately starts playing (no menu)

- When I click to see the menu, the 1st movie starts all over again

- When the 1st movie ends, the playback ends (instead of going to the 2nd movie)

15. If I burn the ISO to a DVD (or do the MyDVD burn to a DVD directly), I get the same erroneous results

When I look at the emulated drive contents, I see the following files (if this helps diagnose my problem):

ROXIOPLASMA (directory)

METADATA.DAT 1mb

PLASMADATA.DAT 32kb

PROJECTDATA.DMSD 195kb

VIDEO_TS (directory)

VIDEO_TS.BUP 10kb

VIDEO_TS.IFO 10kb

VTS_01_0.BUP 14kb

VTS_01_0.IFO 14kb

VTS_01_1.VOB 18.4mb (my 1st movie)

VTS_02_0.BUP 14kb

VTS_02_0.IFO 14kb

VTS_02_1.VOB 15.9mb (my 2nd movie)

VTS_03_0.BUP 20kb

VTS_03_0.IFO 20kb

VTS_03_0.VOB 78.1mb (not playable)

VTS_03_1.VOB 512kb (not playable)

I've seen several posts out there, but please - this is not a problem with a no-menu DVD project nor a problem with my Disc Copier burn settings (I'm not even getting that far!) Any other ideas? I'm really stumped. I've tried everything. Thanks for looking at this.

Shawn

Dell XPS 600

Windows XP Pro

2GB RAM

Pentium 300MHz

250+ GB Hard Drive

EMC 8 Deluxe

Just an update concerning the files in the ISO image that I listed in my first post. When I popped in a working DVD in my DVD drive, I looked in the VIDEO_TS directory and saw the same types of VOB and IFO files. However, the first VOB was the menu. My first VOB is my first movie. The last 2 VOBS listed in my first post were not playable. But it looks like the smaller of the 2 might have been my menu.

Don't know if this helps anyone understand what I'm doing wrong, but I thought I'd add it here. Thanks.

(edited to shorten)

This is your third post on the same topic. You have never come back to the others and posted what progress you have made. Please do not start a new thread. Just add something to one of your old ones and it will be moved to the top of the list.

Just for kicks, instead of playing through the disc emulator, open Disc Copier and preview it there. Do you see the menu listed as a movie? Does it play?

At this point, I can suggest that you do an install, a clean up of your computer and then a clean install. Search the board for the instructions of what should be deleted after the install.

And by the way, if you add your computer profile (with video card information added) to your signature, it will be added to all your posts including the old ones.

So are you saying that I really shouldn't use D2D? I don't really use it too much except to easily erase discs, but I can do that anywhere.

A final update on my no menu problem. Last night after thinking that I had the whole problem fixed by uninstalling, roxizapping, and reinstalling EMC 8 Deluxe, I re-experienced the problem again this morning! I couldn't believe it. The only things I did after the reinstall were attempts to fix the No Recorder problem in D2D which amounted to uninstalling my drives, letting XP reinstall them, and tweaking some of the drive properties. But the last thing I did was uninstall and reinstall SlySoft's AnyDVD which gets screwed up when I roxizap things. I use AnyDVD to help with my DVDXCopy software (encryption stuff). Well, on a whim I decided to shut it down this morning and try burning my DVD again. This time the menus showed up again! If I start up AnyDVD and then try playing the ISO in the emulated drive, no menus. So obviously AnyDVD is putting its dirty paws into the playback and messing it up. So the many, many hours spent with Dell, uninstalling and reinstalling EMC tens of times could have been avoided with a simply right-mouse click/Exit on AnyDVD. #$^@.

Anyway, hopefully this thread will come in handy for other people with similar problems and configurations. Thanks again for all of your input.

Its too bad you didn't mention AnyDVD earlier on, we could have told you that other posters have also had problems when running this decryption software

Thanks to everyone who tried to help with my problem. I finally did as clean as an uninstall as possible and reinstalled EMC 8 Deluxe and my DVD project now seems to have menus and work as advertised! I had to run roxizap which seems to knock out my DVD drive pretty well! All of the Roxio EMC applications recognize my DVD burner, but Drag To Disc will not let me choose a recorder and says "No Recorder". I've looked through the posts, tried to mess with my Upper and LowerFilters, ran the pxengine fix, but still no luck. And ideas how to fix this problem?

Thanks again!

This is your third post on the same topic. You have never come back to the others and posted what progress you have made. Please do not start a new thread. Just add something to one of your old ones and it will be moved to the top of the list.

Just for kicks, instead of playing through the disc emulator, open Disc Copier and preview it there. Do you see the menu listed as a movie? Does it play?

At this point, I can suggest that you do an install, a clean up of your computer and then a clean install. Search the board for the instructions of what should be deleted after the install.

And by the way, if you add your computer profile (with video card information added) to your signature, it will be added to all your posts including the old ones.

sknis,

I'm sorry for the multiple posts, but I created this one because I experienced this one under EMC 8 Deluxe and not EMC 9. But sorry for that.

As for never coming back and posting my progress, I thought I had. I went back to my other 2 posts and I posted the final message to both of them - am I doing something wrong? In both cases I was hoping to hear other suggestions, but they never came.

Finally, as to your questions in this post. Yes I have tried opening the ISO in Disc Copier and I do see the menu listed. But when I do a preview, the menu doesn't play. When I go to advanced mode in Disc Copier in the DVD View, the menu is the picture displayed under the Contents label. When I do a browse to find my ISO, under "Entire DVD Content", I see my menu displayed and it says 2 movies and 1 extra (does the menu count as a "movie"? If so, it should be 3 movies). Under "Individual Movies", I see my 2 movies. Under "Individual Extras", I see my 2nd movie. In the Track View I see only one track.

I have tried uninstalling and running Roxizap and reinstalling, but I still have the same problem. Very weird.

Thanks for your input and I hope you or someone can figure out what I must be doing wrong! Would attaching my MyDVD project or ISO help?

I have updated my signature and hope it starts appearing. Thanks for the recommendation - I'm new to this and these comments help.

When you burn, do you burn under the CD/DVD Copy tab? I had the same experience that menu was not included when I burned my project onto DVD. Then I remember dong the burn in Video Compilation mode. When I switched to CD/DVD Copy, then I got the menus.

I don't think the menu will show up in the drive emulator or in DC preview as I don't recall seeing DVD controls there for selecting menu (only the rewind/fast forward, etc). Hence the possible reason why menus would not show up when previewing in either Disc Copier or drive emulator and just start the movie immediately..

When you burn, do you burn under the CD/DVD Copy tab? I had the same experience that menu was not included when I burned my project onto DVD. Then I remember dong the burn in Video Compilation mode. When I switched to CD/DVD Copy, then I got the menus.

I don't think the menu will show up in the drive emulator or in DC preview as I don't recall seeing DVD controls there for selecting menu (only the rewind/fast forward, etc). Hence the possible reason why menus would not show up when previewing in either Disc Copier or drive emulator and just start the movie immediately..

malatekid,

This is definitely not a Disc Copier issue. I burn to an ISO image in MyDVD and load the image to the drive emulator. When that starts playing, I get no menu and only my 1st movie plays; the 2nd is nowhere to be found. Since this is a drive emulator, I get the normal DVD controls I get when I load a DVD into a real drive (using Power Play). So I should be able to get to my menus. Also, I can even advance to my 2nd movie - it doesn't exist.

When I do burn it to a DVD using the Disc Copier, I make sure I'm on the CD/DVD Copy tab when doing the burn. I still get no menus.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help with my problem. I finally did as clean as an uninstall as possible and reinstalled EMC 8 Deluxe and my DVD project now seems to have menus and work as advertised! I had to run roxizap which seems to knock out my DVD drive pretty well! All of the Roxio EMC applications recognize my DVD burner, but Drag To Disc will not let me choose a recorder and says "No Recorder". I've looked through the posts, tried to mess with my Upper and LowerFilters, ran the pxengine fix, but still no luck. And ideas how to fix this problem?

Thanks again!

If you fix that problem, you may really have a problem. :) Start lecture - don't read if you really,really like D2D. Read the post pinned to the top of the board on how to read the lost files on packet writing discs. With the cost of discs today, it is much smarter and safer to burn files using Creator Classic for longer term storage.

Archived