• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Easy CD Roxio Version 5.3.1.154a

maxburner

I have Roxio Version 5.3.1.154a with DirectCD which came with my Samsung-348b , firmware (T500) purchased 2003 March.

Everything working so-so on my Mickey Mouse system win 98 basic first most basic Pentium, 64 RAM 1220 MB hard drive. (yes only 1 G.)! This was former University computer.

Very short on memory, but computer can surf net, play audio files, streaming is no good, can play clips somewhat choppy but better if quicktime is used. Can chat on messenger, icq, bu no good for telephone.

So is useful for small needs, doing a lot of writing..

So backup files with burner very useful because very limited space. need the files for reference quoting articles research etc.

So is time for new computer, b/c win 98 no longer supported having some problems with it. Probably will buy used system. But I live in the country, only a few malls nearby, so this is the problem, getting into the city to shop.

General Problems:

Using Easy Cd creator 5 ..so may problems with file names being too long and/or special characters.. Does anyone know the exact rules for that? It changes the file names on authorization in the burning but that ruins some of the saved webpages which need the HTML file to match the folders file name with attached pictures and etc.

Which means if i save webpage on my computer I have to remember to change to a short name if I eventually want to back it up. I forget all the time and is a big big drag.

Also, directory path length exceeded...so much trouble with that!! (Message says it will burn, but retrieval may be a problem) and when i let it go then the first time retrieval was a problem with some subdirectories.. file were lost.

Again I don't know the rules so i have to test and test to see which directory is the problem and keep moving files and directories around and renaming them until it gets an error free test run. again what are the rules for the directory lengths or levels ???!

Because of these two types of restrictions, can sometimes take hours to rearrange my files to back up my computer. I save lots of webpage, articles, pictures, PDF's,video,audio files etc for information and have to go and shorten the file names and check all the subfolders that they created.... lots of problems to do that.

Do the newer version of EASY still have these restrictions?

Other:

-------

Having some problems using burner. Used easy CD fine for a year with CD-r , tried to use CD-RW high speed (24x), wouldn't use it. so i thought could not use CD-RW!!! I thought "what a cheat!, this model doesn't use RW" A year or two later !!!l I noticed the DirectCD software!!! and tried to use it. Works OK for (4x) and worked once for high speed (24x) but then i ruined 3 of those discs so i gave up.

I had some problems installing and re-installing using the easy CD (message for anything incl CD-r: drive is not recordable drive!!) but seems OK now after another installation. I think I got it working for CD-r and CD-RW (4x) . I'm not sure if these two softwares, Direct CD and Easy CD co-ordinate well. If a disk is used for one, it can't be used for the other but there are some problems beyond that. Have to do more tests.

But have given up on (24x) CD-RW for this computer!! (EDIT: the drive is no problem, It looks like it can write 48x it must be the memory that is a problem) I assumed buffer problems b/c of low memory. But I also noticed on the FAQ something about realplayer so , perhaps other installed programs were the problem.

but it is not worth buying and ruining more disks, and abending and re-abending my computer so forget it! (They get ruined when trying to format.. the program never stops or stops after a long long while saying the disk is unusable, the scandisk could not fix it and now the unusable disks simply bomb my computer if i try to examine them.

(Edit: I see the warnings now about using DirectCD and CD-RW's. Pity because all those horrible naming conventions make EASY take a long time to use, going through all the files changing the names, and sometimes having to find the webpages again and resave them with shorter names sometimes because the saved file name cannot be changed without ruining the save (html/related folder) combination...

I have to do a re-test to see if CD-RW (4x) works with the EasyCD. I think i got it going.)

QUESTION For compatibility with other computers.. if i use the DirectCD to make a disk, it needs the IUF installed to read the disk. I uninstalled the easy software, then tried to read the disk as a test. A facility popped up to ask me if I wanted to install the IUF reader.. Question is where is that software , on my computer or on the disk?...want to know in order to know if the disks are then readable elsewhere on other computers.

Anyway I am also going to try to use the Roxio software on my parents XP. HP computer, the drive is recordable, will see what happens.

Now shopping to buy new systems, I need to transfer VCR tapes to digital. I have extensive collection of personal martial arts tapes (on VHS, BETA and Hi-8... all is analog), which i need in digital format. I need to back them up to play on digital player and also make them playable on the computer want to set up shared playable clips of performances (clips usually 1MB to 10 MB long and one to two minutes.

So I don't just want to burn a long file to DVD , I also need to burn precise lengths of files to playable formats in shared internet environment, and create probably win media files or quicktime files.

Trying to figure out what complete things form A to Z I need for that!!! Hopefully I can use my Samsung and buy a superior (used) processor unit etc that is compatible. There is so much used stuff on the market in the city, it is the best way to shop. I only need this requirement. I don't need computer of anything else nowadays.

Perhaps just a DVD recorder that converts VHS to digital DVD, then I can manipulate the DVD files on computer? But then I have tot be sure those files are compatible to be able to be manipulated.

Need software and hardware to convert VHS to digital format loadable into computer.

Then software and hardware to produce playable shareable files as well as archive files one to two hours long.

Now, I see this software update, but I am afraid to use it, everything seems fine, I have such low memory now, it might cause problems.

Can it be backed out, if i try it?

Updates Easy CD Creator 5.x.x Basic and Starter Kit to 5.3.5

This web update is designed to update English versions of Easy CD Creator Basic 5.x.x to version 5.3.5.

It can be installed in Windows NT, 98, 2000, ME, and XP. It has a number of fixes and adds new drive support, including support for DVD -R/RW and DVD +R/RW.

This update will install Windows XP specific drivers and make the necessary registry entries to allow Easy CD Creator to operate correctly in Windows XP.

ecdc_v5.3.5.10_basic_enu.exe 11.2mb

After plowing thru part of your post, I'd suggest to move files to yr new computer you use one of the following:

• burn the files to CD-R using DataProject (then you also have a back-up disc after the trasfer)
  • buy a Flash drive (aka Thumb / Pen / Keychain / Jump Drive) to move files back and forth
  • consider setting your present Hard Drive to slave setting and making sure your new Hard Drive is set to master, and making the new computer a dual boot machine
  • if your Win98 (is that 98 or 98 SE?) can handle it, consider an external drive

Lynn

After plowing thru part of your post, I'd suggest to move files to yr new computer you use one of the following:
  • burn the files to CD-R using DataProject (then you also have a back-up disc after the transfer)
  • buy a Flash drive (aka Thumb / Pen / Keychain / Jump Drive) to move files back and forth
  • consider setting your present Hard Drive to slave setting and making sure your new Hard Drive is set to master, and making the new computer a dual boot machine
  • if your Win98 (is that 98 or 98 SE?) can handle it, consider an external drive

Lynn

It's a good idea Lynn.

I already got everything backed up to CD-R's . a little messy so i was trying to use CD-RW's to sort things out , but I got everything on CD-R's. I was transferring stuff to RW's because i was getting tired of going through disks wondering which had my version of .. "whatever program or podcast or article or whatever " on it.

A new computer will have to use XP because Win98 is HISTORY, no longer supported . the new flashplayer 9 on the web abends IE and opera in win 98 for about 15 percent or more of websites.

And guess what.. within a week of Microsoft no longer supporting Win98 last July, the adobe flashplayer on websites started abending IE. Imagine that!!! What a coincidence!!!

That may mean using the Roxio-Samsung combination I got may become problematic b/c of win XP compatibility problems. But keeping the old system for offline work is a good idea. I can transfer and backup stuff on the Win98 system because it is working well there.

I have an installable version of win SE 2nd ed. Works fine and easy. I like it better than XP which I think is like a clumsy ox.

You mean I would have two operating systems with the windows98 drive a shared (slave) drive?

The major thing now I want is the VHS tapes backed up to digital format and some parts clipped. I need to find the technology for that.

BTW

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=161

This link is only good for 5.3.4.x to Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.3.5.17.

so is not 5.3.x.xx (not good for me, I have 5.3.1.154a)

BTW

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=161

This link is only good for 5.3.4.x to Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.3.5.17.

so is not 5.3.x.xx (not good for me, I have 5.3.1.154a)

The link above is for Dell oem software, you dont have that. You have Samsung oem version of Roxio.

Why do you want to update the existing software? I am missing something here, your getting a new system that will probably have XP-SP2 and Version 5 does not get along well with it, as well as, you have a Sansung OEM version which is another unkown (dont know what Sansung did to THEIR version).

The link you refer to is SPECIFICLY for Dell, and only Dell, and is indicated as being for Dell. You don't have Dell.

My backup computer is a WinXP. My main computer is Win98 SE, altho I have a Win2000 that appears to be in my near future.

I detest WinXP.

Lynn

Dell?!! Hmm this is more complicated. You mean I don't have

"Roxio EasyCD Creator Version 5.3.1.154a"

but rather have "Samsung's Roxio EasyCD Creator Version 5.3.1.154a"

or perhaps the numbers change as per the drive manufacturer.

Anyway, are you having problems with flashplayer with the internet and windows 98? Perhaps the problem on my system is the inferior system memory, et all.

XP, I guess then is detested by any hands-on peson. It was designed to leave people out of the loop. :)

Yes, WinXP the controls are obfuscated and the resources are used against the user. Win98 is faster to use, has much less overhead.

Like with the news pages a person just wants to read the text, but they load 1000 busy programs adverts and interactives that tie up your resources and you have to wait ages for it to load.

Same principle I think with WinXP.

So hasn't anyone had trouble with file naming conventions and folder file directory lengths when using CD 5 ? I sure would like to know know the exact rules.

EDIT : OEM =?? (don't know)?

Dell?!! Hmm this is more complicated. You mean I don't have

"Roxio EasyCD Creator Version 5.3.1.154a"

but rather have "Samsung's Roxio EasyCD Creator Version 5.3.1.154a"

or perhaps the numbers change as per the drive manufacturer.

Anyway, are you having problems with flashplayer with the internet and windows 98? Perhaps the problem on my system is the inferior system memory, et all.

XP, I guess then is detested by any hands-on peson. It was designed to leave people out of the loop. :)

Yes, WinXP the controls are obfuscated and the resources are used against the user. Win98 is faster to use, has much less overhead.

Like with the news pages a person just wants to read the text, but they load 1000 busy programs adverts and interactives that tie up your resources and you have to wait ages for it to load.

Same principle I think with WinXP.

So hasn't anyone had trouble with file naming conventions and folder file directory lengths when using CD 5 ? I sure would like to know know the exact rules.

EDIT : OEM =?? (don't know)?

OEM

An OEM is usually a version that a large computer manufacturer buys and installs to sell pre-installed on their computer (sometimes they may add features that are only available in the full retail Platinum edition) The computer buyer gets a copy of the pre-installed software in case they have to reinstall it on their computer. For example, if the files get corrupt or the hard drive has to be reformatted, that computer user needs a copy of the software to reinstall the software that came with the computer. OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Some OEM, versions come with CD burners.

These "Basic" versions vary and are customized to fit the contract of the OEM purchaser.

Likewise, ALL support comes from your OEM provider and not from Roxio.

Also you could go into your favorite browser and type in oem.

File length .... read this.... http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...;hl=file+length

jssilva wrote:

#, &, %, and { } are allowed characters. The NTFS disallowed characters are:

/ ? < > \ : * | "

In addition to those, the caret ^ is not allowed in FAT file systems.

Message Edited by jssilva on 12-29-2005 06:45 AM

jssilva wrote:

#, &, %, and { } are allowed characters. The NTFS disallowed characters are:

/ ? < > \ : * | "

In addition to those, the caret ^ is not allowed in FAT file systems.

Message Edited by jssilva on 12-29-2005 06:45 AM

It is really irrelevant what FAT or NTSF allow… Only thing that counts here is what optical media file systems allow!

Allowed Characters

· Character set ISO9660:

'A','B','C',..,'Z','0','1',...,'9','_'

i.e. only capital letters, numbers and CD-Rs

· Character set DOS:

All characters which are also allowed by the DOS file system. the following signs are not allowed: Small letters, special symbols with ASCII Code<=32, DOS special symbols such as '.',':',';','[',']','\','/','?','"','*','<','>','|',' ' (CD-Rs). In contrast a large number of the characters via ASCII Code 127 ('Ä','Ö','Ü',...) are allowed.

Unfortunately DOS may not be able to read CDs with characters like this as the sort sequence of such characters hasn't been defined anywhere and DOS drivers can only read from CDs with sorted file entries.

· Character set ASCII:

Here small letters are also allowed. Files of this kind can not be opened by DOS! In contrast, characters with ASCII Code 127 or higher are not allowed.

· Character set Joliet:

All characters are allowed, apart from the following:

':', ';', '?', '\' ,'/', '*', '<', '>',' "'

Just a fellow user...

Dell 8300 - 3.0ghz P4 XP Pro w/SP1 1.5gb RAM

NVIDIA GeForce4

2, 200gb HD Sony DRU-710A

DataVideo DAC-100 AD converter

The quote is from Digital Guru James_Hardin, 12-29-2005 07:03 AM - one that I packed up before we left the old boards ...

Lynn

OEM

An OEM is usually a version that a large computer manufacturer buys and installs to sell pre-installed on their computer (sometimes they may add features that are only available in the full retail Platinum edition) The computer buyer gets a copy of the pre-installed software in case they have to reinstall it on their computer. For example, if the files get corrupt or the hard drive has to be reformatted, that computer user needs a copy of the software to reinstall the software that came with the computer. OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Some OEM, versions come with CD burners.

These "Basic" versions vary and are customized to fit the contract of the OEM purchaser.

Also you could go into your favorite browser and type in OEM.

File length .... read this.... http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...;hl=file+length

Holy Rolling Thunder!!!! What a tip! I just used "Justzipit" and zipped a main computer folders as a test. That will save hours of work each time!!!! I'll just back up the zipped files.

OK so the "rules" are very non-specific, one can't compute it all, just shorten as many directory names as possible and do trial and error. . But with zipping that becomes unnecessary.

OK! got the acronym OEM goggled to on wikipedia. I thought it would be obscure but it is mainstream. It's always nice to have human input. Thanks!

I bought the Samsung drive from an authorized dealer when working in China in 2003, It came with with software: PowerDVD, EasyCD5 and some CD manual that connects to Samsung support center.

I got program "WinInquiry" from the Samsung site...it shows my OEM code and firmware code is "T500" (also displayed on the system panel) .

Researching the Samsung site I found two "T500"'s (with matching firmware updates) for products released in China about that time but I haven't matched the OEM code yet. Now I know what it means

Character set Joliet:

All characters are allowed, apart from the following:

':', ';', '?', '\' ,'/', '*', '<', '>',' "'

The quote is from Digital Guru James_Hardin, 12-29-2005 07:03 AM - one that I packed up before we left the old boards ...

Lynn

Thanks. I guess that excerpt is the relevant part of using EasyCD with Joliet.

I wasn't sure the full list, but I think I had caught the colon and semicolon.

Do you know where I could look here to find information about creating clips and data conversion form VHS to digital?

Some more good news, I think. I updated the firmware for the drive from the Samsung site. I found the last part of the puzzle in matching the OEM code. So I matched the drive, then the firmware then recognized the OEM code "LEG" as part of the binary file name. Knowing what it meant helped, it made the distinction between the two T500 files.

Matching the OEM code also confirmed finally for me, the dealership and manufacture was legitimate..er I think.. I mean they copy and fake everything in China,you can never be certain of anything there.

Perhaps that will improve the drive's performance. It has been touchy sometimes.

It doesn't appear so. The software on the drive user's manual CD linked me to the Samsung site to register. But the software on the Roxio CD software kept bugging me to register on the Roxio site where I provided purchase information and I found some answers to questions and they offer some upgrades and updates depending on whatever. Also they gave the link to come here to this forum and I am registered here automatically by virtue of my Roxio registration.

Guest mlpasley
Do you know where I could look here to find information about creating clips and data conversion form VHS to digital?

You can look here for information.

Do you have a capture card on your computer or any other type of capture device?

Guest mlpasley
And you need a DVD burner.

I suppose that sounds rather obvious, but I've seen occasional posts by people who assume if you buy a DVD burning program, it convert the DVD-ROM to a DVD-RW. That doesn't put the additional circuitry in the hardware, tho :)

Lynn

He probably needs to start a new 'thread' to discuss converting from VHS to Digital.

I suspect from going back and reading his computer specifications that while it might be a good computer for surfing the net, the cost to upgrade it to convert analog to digital will be too expensive.

You can look here for information.

Do you have a capture card on your computer or any other type of capture device?

I stated that I currently have a Mickey Mouse computer, etc etc. so this system is no good for making digital files. But some part of it may have some use. It is not upgradeable in any practical sense. Nor with everything else on the market would it be worthwhile to even think about that.

I haven't assumed anything. I bought the Samsung/Roxio to back up my computer files when I worked and traveled in foreign countries and it has done that well. I don't know the other functions of it. I only have used CD-R and CD-RW. I see there are some features "grayed out" on the Roxio software so it seems another version is necessary for the advanced features. I have just started to look at what is this DVD-ROM and what can it do?

So where is information on this DVD-ROM and DVD difference here? A good thread?

EDIT: Ok It's clearer. Of course I know what ROM means but everything was not clear. My drive is a Combo: DVD-ROM and CD-RW. But I just noticed the roxio software (which came as part of the drive) has a a NOT grayed out launch of DVD project creator "use your DVD recordable drive. Obviously though the program launches, it can't work on the Samsung drive. I don't know if it will on a DVD-RW drive until I test it.

I just checked a DVD. It has some strange to me new file extensions. I wonder if there is any relationship between file formats and recording mediums ie DVD. I would first think not.

As I said, I have a user priority not a technical priority . I want to convert my (martial arts) VHS tapes (VHS, BETA HI-8: all analog) to digital files both for the complete files and for one to two minute clips that are shareable on the internet , that I can pass on to my friends in many different countries.

Computer is not important. Computer for anything else is not important. Only converting to usable digital format is important.

Even if it can be done using DVD recorders, is fine. But the quality and ability to make sharable clips is important. I think i need mp3 or mov. files for clips (winmedia and quicktime). Don't know anything about the formats the DVD recorders or computer burners produce or if they are transferable and editable and what software is necessary?

You see it like this: you go to store , you talk to clerks , they say ,"I know nuthin". Information ends. You look at mysterious box with all kinds of mysterious sayings on it. You wonder if the magic is in there.

You pay hundreds of dollars to see if something can do something and it can't you return useless machines if you can.

I need to know full capabilities and what I need before I buy. I need to know everything necessary to get to the end goal. Then I go hunt equipment and software.

Must know what to hunt.

Yes, need to start another thread . am researching Internet now, will study up.

Any information towards it is good. Thank you. Going off to research net for few days, back later.

As you've apparently noticed, a combo drive (CD-RW & DVD-ROM) will read & write CDs, and Read ONLY on DVDs.

The greyed out areas are parts that aren't in the ECDC 5 Basic Version - kinda an encouragement to get you to buy ECDC 5 Platinum.

And ECDC 5 can write DVD Data discs. DVD Video was first offered with Version 6, and it is a very basic DVD Video. I'd say you want a WinXP, and Version 7 or 7.5. Either of those will probably do better than the newer ones - you can read the DVD problem posts on the newer Versions if you doubt me.

Lynn

As you've apparently noticed, a combo drive (CD-RW & DVD-ROM) will read & write CDs, and Read ONLY on DVDs.

The grayed out areas are parts that aren't in the ECDC 5 Basic Version - kinda an encouragement to get you to buy ECDC 5 Platinum.

And ECDC 5 can write DVD Data discs. DVD Video was first offered with Version 6, and it is a very basic DVD Video. I'd say you want a WinXP, and Version 7 or 7.5. Either of those will probably do better than the newer ones - you can read the DVD problem posts on the newer Versions if you doubt me.

Lynn

Yes, so far as I can see DVD is just file storage not file structure, so far anyway. So for making vclips a CD-RW can store them. The value of DVD is for large files, longer movies. I did read that some people are backing up home movies (from VHS) on Video CD as they can put one hour of video on a CD. so for clip making, DVD is not important, I think.

I suppose my DVD-ROM is still compatible with the new DVD file format (DVD+)? any any possible others? at least for the time being. Ouch! I am looking at the Wikipedia entires, there is also DVD-RAM and HD-DVD with two competing formats currently at war. (The Nebula so far:,Compact Disc/CD-ROM: CD-R, CD-RW. DVD: DVD-R, DVD-R DL, DVD+R, DVD+R DL,DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD+RW DL, DVD-RAM. Blu-ray Disc: BD-R, BD-RE. HD DVD: HD DVD-R.)

Everything is in a state of permanent flux. Oh well, one thing at a time.

But I will need a DVD burner for all my main backups. Whether I need it on computer or a DVD recorder, I don't know yet. A computer will give more control. If i get a DVD-recorder, I would have to ensure the recording is of high quality and the files can be read to a computer with whatever DVD-ROM or DVD-RW and then manipulated on the computer hard drive. The DVD recorder companies might try to make those files only readable on their own DVD Recorder-players.

I guess you mean Version 7 or 7.5 of ECDC is best.

Yes, my ECDC has the "copy to disk" function also grayed out in the CD copier as well as other features. Yes, i guessed that it was to encourage platinum (buy) upgrade.

Lynn, since you also prefer Win98, I wonder do you also have any software problems now surfing the net such as Flashplayer or shockwave on internet sites abending IE or Firefox or Opera?

maxburner

I don't have the time or the patience to answer all the question's you keep coming up with.

Do you have a neighbor/friend/relative who is computer savy, who could sit down with you over a cup of coffee (or beverage of your choice) and give you some basic understanding of computers/DVD/ drives etc, etc.

Don't take this the wrong way, you need to get the BASIC.s straight first.

Good luck

As to flashplayer problems on the Win98 SE, that has been largely solved by having Norton FireWall 2005 block Flash files from loading. However, that is part of why I'm expecting to upgrade to a new-ish compuer with Win2000. (I still will have the WinXP as a backup computer.)

As to DVD, you do not have enough information to start from. You need a lot more hand-holding than we can manage here.

Lynn

Guest mlpasley
As I said, I have a user priority not a technical priority . I want to convert my (martial arts) VHS tapes (VHS, BETA HI-8: all analog) to digital files both for the complete files and for one to two minute clips that are shareable on the internet , that I can pass on to my friends in many different countries.

Computer is not important. Computer for anything else is not important. Only converting to usable digital format is important.

Unfortunately, the computer is important. You need a Pentium 4 or higher for decoding and encoding the mpeg2 files on a DVD.

You need to do some basic reading about how to do this. It sounds like it should be easy and it is..... if you have the right computer equipment and want to spend the time learning how to convert VHS to digital and digital to website.

Frankly, if User Priority is your main goal and you don't want to spend a lot of money.... by a DVD recorder that's capable of recording from VHS tapes and has VHS inputs, burn DVDs and mail them to your friends. ( That's not meant to be a sarcastic remark either. )

You might also go to www.videohelp.com and read some of their guides.

maxburner

I don't have the time or the patience to answer all the question's you keep coming up with.

Do you have a neighbor/friend/relative who is computer savy, (It's savvy. Run a spellchecker, Mr. Uneducated Impatient!) who could sit down with you over a cup of coffee (or beverage of your choice) and give you some basic understanding of computers/DVD/ drives etc, etc.

Don't take this the wrong way, you need to get the BASIC.s straight first. (How about some "BASICS")

Good luck

Ogdens, if you don't have the time or patience then who's asking you? Why are you even here? You should be on the beach and having servants do the work for you. I don't need anyone to answer me, framing questions is a way of thinking.

You are a complete idiot and rude to boot. I was an assembler programmer analyst on mainframes for ten years before I went off to Asia teach it for another ten. I can program and troubleshoot anything from machine language to TI platforms. I simply haven't the familiarity with these PC user platforms and recent media technology which are mickey mouse in complexity compared to the systems I am used to not only using but programming.

If you actually READ my posts you would have seen that I am in the COUNTRYSIDE which is why I am on message boards. Otherwise I would just hobnob with the geeks in the city.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you want simple and easy you should go take up knitting and get the nice little computer box from the salesman, shoot yourself full of cocaine and don't worry about nutttin'.

Asking detailed questions IS THE COMPUTER BUSINESS. IT IS ANALYSIS.

If you can't take it get out and find some other business.

Yeah Lynn, When I was in Asia I had to run several versions of Windows on the same computer. I needed both Chinese and English Windows 98SE. So I wrote a small program and loaded them both in and had a program determine which operating system to start up. A simple startup switch could determine which version of Windows was to be loaded (different character sets make them incompatible) . Another friend had many different platforms loaded into the same drive,Win 2000, NT and a few others.

I had to learn to use Windows in Chinese as it came out because I was in Asia , so I missed on some of the new basics here and there but mainframes are my specialty and I didn't look too closely at the popular use of technology coming out. I always thought of PC's as toys but that started to change in the 90's when we started distributing mainframe processing on PC's. Now back in the West, I am looking at the new stuff.

From my basics with computer languages and structured methodologies of system analysis there is nothing conceptually new for me in Business Computer Systems. This is a closed system, it is like filling in the dots. It is not like research or science such as AI.

Even when I had started my first corporate job I had reviewed assembler instructions for a week prior to starting only to have my mentoring colleague laugh and tell me that business programming never went into the depth of binary assembler computations. Anyway, it is analytical methodology which is able to solve any business problem, such as this DVD usage etc, not scientific insight.

As for mailing vclips, no, I have rare material which I want to make my material publicly available to specialists who are scattered worldwide.

I already got the important answers I need. It's clear to me now what I need and what I am going to do. What the heck else are you imagining that is so difficult, I can't imagine. If I had written here only to myself, I would have gotten to the same place. Apparently you people feel strained to listen to my thought stream.

Don't make the same mistake Ogdens made which is to think that because someone examines some basic issues or asks basic questions that they are not skilled or knowledgeable or need hand holding. You are likely to be holding my hand before my questions are finished. That is my usual experience and it is the obvious case that if my questions strain you, so will the answers.

That is where expertise lies: in examining the basics. If I had my hands on some decent equipment I wouldn't need to be asking any questions.

What stupid and lazy people do is throw money at things and that solves the problem without understanding it, or at least buries it. Since I came back broke I have to study the thing in advance without being able to put my hands on the product.

You guys got a bad attitude to answering questions. the first thing you got to do is learn to love questions not hate them,Then maybe you can get started.

Things need to be ploughed so if you don't love ploughing you should quit the farm. Ploughing is what it is all about. If you need to be entertained don't set yourself up to answer questions.

You should both find some other business to get into , If either of you had that impatient, lazy, anti-social attitude in the corporate environment you wouldn't last at all.

I've seen those attitudes many times before. It's always repulsive and anti-intellectual. I can see both of you found my questions gave you a headache and you need to save face by dumping on me.

I am an intellectual, the problem for me is not a headache, it is my joy and it is not closed til it is solved. But for many of my clients it was closed if they could dump the problem out of the problem queue like Ogdens did when the tried to tell me I shouldn't ask questions in this forum and should go ask Samsung. I recognized that routine he pulled. I've seen that many times also. So that makes TWO types of abusive political manipulations this creep tried to pull.

Politics is a poor substitution for knowledge, ability and social skills. Perhaps for some of you that IS the business standard these days. Your idea is not to have substance but how to advance yourself by dumping on your colleagues and clients.

Some people have a poor ability to solve problems or communicate so they dump abuse on others pretending to be superior when actually they are just inferior bullies. You should take Issac Asimov as a role model. He was superintellligent, yet he wrote hundreds of books explaining complicated things simply for the everyday person. If you can't do that, consider yourself failed as a communicator. It takes intelligence to answer simple questions.Ignorant lazy stupid people hide behind rudeness and blaming others.

Ignorant, simpleminded, rude manipulating, political people is why I quit my 70k job in 1994 and went off for something more human which was teaching.

I can make any technology sit up and dance and end up writing user manuals where there are none and understanding where no one else, not even the original programmer, understands so I'll do fine without you two.

OK goodbye, and no thanks for anything except another lousy experience with non-human beings in the ugly computer business and whatever you write here in response, it won't be read by me because I know better than to come back and involve myself in negativity.

Unfortunately, the computer is important. You need a Pentium 4 or higher for decoding and encoding the mpeg2 files on a DVD.

You need to do some basic reading about how to do this. It sounds like it should be easy and it is..... if you have the right computer equipment and want to spend the time learning how to convert VHS to digital and digital to website.

Frankly, if User Priority is your main goal and you don't want to spend a lot of money.... by a DVD recorder that's capable of recording from VHS tapes and has VHS inputs, burn DVDs and mail them to your friends. ( That's not meant to be a sarcastic remark either. )

- MLPASLEY

I just noticed reading my backup file of this thread that someone did give a straightforward answer to a straightforward question so I must thank you for that.

That is a step up in method, perseverance and quality of thinking from the political players here. I commend you.

When I said "computer unimportant" , I meant the concept not the specifications, I meant I don't care to discuss computers in general, I was looking for the specific minimum requirements as you provided. Thanks.

As for the advice about mailing, I, of course, already thought about that and mailed out VHS copies to my personal friends but I want the Vclips publicly available to this worldwide Special Interest Group.

I just got access to a some equipment that looks like it has everything I need for making clips using Windows Movie Maker. So I can get the clips done for now and take my time to search for a new computer system in the used equipment market.

I will post this from page one of this thread , so I don't inadvertently look at whatever drag-you-down-thinking the politicians post.

Thanks again...Pentium Four, Got it! Every bit helps.

Guest mlpasley
Thanks again...Pentium Four, Got it! Every bit helps.

There are actually more requirements which depend on the program that you plan on using. I did a whole lot of research on the internet before I bought a computer that I was certain would burn DVDs and work with my VHS and camcorder equipment. There is knowledge out there, but it keeps changing so fast that any advice I give you might not be accurate in todays market.

Actually, the specifications on the side of video editing software boxes will usually give you a good guide, but read the complete specifications which include burning DVDs and try to exceed those requirements.

This should be easy, but as you probably know, with new technology (which consumer video editing is) not everything works together as it should.

One tip.... if you can and the equipment you now have access to will do it, import that video in DV AVI. Almost all programs, including Windows Movie Maker, will read those files. If you use mpeg2 files, you're going to run into encoding and decoding issues.

Archived