maggi2shoes

sound issues when copying videotape to file

Question

The sound is great on the original videotape.  Followed the procedure to capture video through the process but not to DVD.   Sent it to file....  Changed to WMV..hit export......  Waited hours.  The sound on the finished product is horrible...all garbled.  I had also selected the fine tuning sound button.  This is driving me crazy.  Is there something I am missing?  I have nothing but time on my hands....and I have 7 video tapes (with sound) to capture.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

3 answers to this question

It's been awhile since I've used VHS to DVD.  When you do the capture, what is the original file format?  My recollection is that it was .MPG?  You say you changed it to .WMV.  I have a vague recollection of VHS to DVD doing the capture into it's original file format, and then converting it (which takes the extra time).  Do you still have the original capture file, or just the .WMV?  If you have the original file, how is the sound on that?  And if you don't, try recapturing using the default file format, even just a short segment, and see how that sounds. 

My inclination is that you want to let it keep the original, default file format.  Once that's done, then you can play with converting to another file format.

--

Dave D-W

3 hours ago, d_deweywright said:

It's been awhile since I've used VHS to DVD.  When you do the capture, what is the original file format?  My recollection is that it was .MPG?  You say you changed it to .WMV.  I have a vague recollection of VHS to DVD doing the capture into it's original file format, and then converting it (which takes the extra time).  Do you still have the original capture file, or just the .WMV?  If you have the original file, how is the sound on that?  And if you don't, try recapturing using the default file format, even just a short segment, and see how that sounds. 

My inclination is that you want to let it keep the original, default file format.  Once that's done, then you can play with converting to another file format.

--

Dave D-W

Thanks for your answer Dave. Yes the original file format was mpeg. I will try again using a short segment. My plan was to put all of these (home movies) on a memory stick for the family and have 32g sticks. I thought that the WMV compressed them more so there would be room on the stick for all of them. Thanks again, I will get back at it today.

You should still be able to do the compression, but I'm saying that if the .MPG file format sounds good (try a small segment first to verify), capture to that first.  Then you can do the compression/conversion to another format in a second step.  You'll use up extra space initially, but you won't waste time having to recapture it if the conversion step messes things up.