TimothyMThomas

New iPhone Photo Format (HEIF) Doesn't Work

Question

Hello,

I have created numerous photo/video slide shows using Roxio VideoWave without issue. Recently my wife and I switched from iPhone 6 to iPhone 11 Pro Max, and it has a different photo format by default called HEIF. Videos are MOV format but apparently an enhanced version. Dragging photos and videos to VideoWave no longer works. Videos only play audio, and photos simply won't drag into place - I get the circle with the slash through when trying to drop it. I get similar results with Roxio Video Copy & Convert - I can drag the video files in but they don't play or convert. Does anyone know if Roxio is planning to add support for this new file format, and/or do you know of any workarounds?

8 answers to this question

Hello Tim,

I haven't heard if Roxio is intending to add support, but would you please be so kind as to let Roxio know of this change?  The more people who approach them the better!

Up at the top of the main Creator menu is a Help Button.  The drop-down that shows has an item Provide Feedback to Roxio.   If you would tell them using that feedback box the information should get to the right place.

Thanks very much.  Brendon

It would be nice to have a photo in that format to play with!

Please try and upload an image so we can download it and poke it with a stick, please?

Thank you Brendon and cdanteek! Great tip on the help button, I will do that now. I don't feel comfortable uploading a photo ... maybe I'll take a bland generic one to upload. Thanks for the tips!

@Brendon I clicked the link for feedback yesterday and today but got this message: "This page is temporarily unavailable due to website maintenance." Any ideas as to a solution? It appears to be perpetually in this state.

@cdanteek, I uploaded an innocuous image in the new HEIC format.

002.HEIC

User 'sknis' downloaded your sample photo and he informed me, "CyberLinks Photo Director 365  will open and allow editing of your sample new format photo file 002.HEIC.   It is $3. and change per month.  Nothing else on my computer will open it."

Tim,

Thanks for that information.    I'm getting the same response from the Feedback page. :(     I'll see if I can find out when the page will be back open.  Thank you also for that .HEIC photograph.   

Videowave filters files at two levels.   Firstly it checks to see if the file extension is on the list of filetypes it accepts:

733659901_videowavephotosvideos.thumb.jpg.a18b37eb1e7a53c44d907ad15b56d4ec.jpg

and if they aren't in the list then the files don't even show in the Videowave selector box when you open a folder, and you get a flash of a prohibited sign if you try to drag them in with Windows File Explorer.

Then, if the filetype is allowed VideoWave  tries to show a thumbnail of the file.   If something prevents that (e.g. it uses a codec that's not installed) then VW shows a 'prohibited' thumbnail.

prohib.jpg.95208d2a1ae693e3d07b30080035eb2d.jpg .HEIC files aren't in the list, so VW won't have anything to do with them. 😕

However,  on my unmodified Windows 10 system, MS Paint and Windows Photo Viewer will display files in the .HEIC format, and free programs such as IrfanView and CopyTrans HEIC  can be used to convert the .HEIC files to one of the formats in the VideoWave input list.

TimothyMThomas are you aware of these options?

The only downside to using HEIF or HEIC photos is compatibility. If a piece of software can view images, it can definitely read JPEG images. But, if you take photos and end up with HEIF or HEIC files, those won’t work everywhere.

That’s why the iPhone and iPad automatically convert your photos to JPEG images when you attach them to an email or share them with a service that doesn’t support HEIF files. It also automatically converts them to JPEG when you import these photos onto a Windows PC. Apple’s iOS is designed to automatically make things as compatible as possible.

If you don’t want to deal with any potential compatibility problems, you can always disable use of the HEIF format on your iPhone and force the camera to take photos as old-fashioned JPEGs. 

@cdanteek, thank you for your comments. I'm aware there's a compatibility issue with Roxio. I can indeed turn off HEIF if desired, but I still have months worth of photos that I took before realizing this was a problem that I want to be able to use in slide shows, etc. I discovered that using the "Keep Originals" setting when exporting to a PC balks at several video files and won't import them, whereas choosing "Automatic" leaves the files in HEIF format which is incompatible with Roxio. Kind of a lose-lose situation. I am indeed aiming toward mass conversion of photos and videos as the solution. Speaking of which ...

@Brendon, thank you for checking on the feedback page. Thank you also for the tips on conversion tools, I may check those. I use ACDSee to organize the photos (and had to upgrade it to get it to read HEIF files). They just informed me about a free mobile sync tool from the iPhone that may fix the compatibility issue. If that doesn't work I may try one of these freebies. Thanks again for the tip!