Numerous problems with EMC9

scorpio

Question

Hi

I purchased Easy Media Creator 9 and installed it on 2.11.06. I have had a lot of problems with it, error messages on nearly all the applications so decided to uninstall it. However I have looked in my registry and see many files relating to Roxio. I have ccleaner a programme which says it cleans up unnecssary files but I am a bit nervous of using it as I know that to fiddle with the registry is rather dangerous if you do not know what you are doing.

Can any one advise me on what I should do now as I would like to reinstall it? I previously had Pinnacle Systems programme but that made my computer crash repeatedly so again I uninstalled it. I asked my computer manufacturer Evesham Technology what they would recommend and they suggested Roxio EMC9.

Hope someone can advise me.

Thanks.

7 answers to this question

Hi

I purchased Easy Media Creator 9 and installed it on 2.11.06. I have had a lot of problems with it, error messages on nearly all the applications so decided to uninstall it. However I have looked in my registry and see many files relating to Roxio. I have ccleaner a programme which says it cleans up unnecssary files but I am a bit nervous of using it as I know that to fiddle with the registry is rather dangerous if you do not know what you are doing.

Can any one advise me on what I should do now as I would like to reinstall it? I previously had Pinnacle Systems programme but that made my computer crash repeatedly so again I uninstalled it. I asked my computer manufacturer Evesham Technology what they would recommend and they suggested Roxio EMC9.

Thanks.

The easiest thing for me to suggest would be that you make a current image of your HD using something like Ghost or Acronis True Image. Then if something "goes bad" in your reinstall attempts, you can recover in a few minutes. Buy an external USB case and HD to put the image on.

If you find you need to do the complete Format and reinstall of everything, as has also been suggested, once that's up and running, make an image of your drive at various points along the way. And, keep a current image of your system. I have Acronis True Image running on my system, and have it making an incremental backup every week. Occassionally, I write those image files to DVD for safekeeping.

Hope that helps!

As I have been having similar problems with EMC 9, and have tried several "CLEAN" installs.. I would like to note an observation, after following the instructions given above I can still see "Cineplayer DVD Decoder options" located in the control panel. How do I remove the program? Do I need to remove that program?

I am rolling back from ie7, and WMP11.

And will reinstall.

Hi

Many thanks to all who replied to me. I do have all Windows updates. Not sure about the video card support Direct X 9. How can I find this information?

Thanks again.

First, remove all Sonic/Roxio products using the Control Panel. Then remove these folders if they still exist. Some of these are hidden fodlers so the Windows option must be 'on' to view them.

C:\program files\roxio

c:\program files\sonic

c:\program files\common files\roxio shared

c:\program files\common files\sonic shared

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Roxio

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sonic

C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Roxio

C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Sonic

C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Roxio

Then remove any IE cookies with Sonic/Roxio in this folder:

c:\document and settings\username\cookies

example:

username@activation.roxio[1].txt

username@registration.roxio[1].txt

username@www.roxio[1].txt

username@www.sonic[2].txt

Then use a registry cleaner to remove any entries that may still exist. RegSeeker works well and it's free. It has a function to search for a string like 'Roxio'. Remove any entries that refer to Roxio or Sonic. BE CAREFUL! Removing other entries could seriously affect how Windows runs.

When finished, REBOOT the computer

Make sure you have ALL windows updates and the latest DirectX (oct2006). Do you have a video card that FULLY supports DirectX 9? Update the video card drivers.

Reboot and reinstall

Hi

Thanks.

You don't want to hear my suggestion but here goes. Reformat and start over! If an number of programs keep crashing, you have some problems. But before you do that, if you want to try reinstalling, you can use the MS installer cleanup utility to safely remove programs. Ccleaner and Regseeker are good ones I use. But of course, back up your registry. Most do this for you.

First, remove all Sonic/Roxio products using the Control Panel. Then remove these folders if they still exist. Some of these are hidden fodlers so the Windows option must be 'on' to view them.

C:\program files\roxio

c:\program files\sonic

c:\program files\common files\roxio shared

c:\program files\common files\sonic shared

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Roxio

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sonic

C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Roxio

C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Sonic

C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Roxio

Then remove any IE cookies with Sonic/Roxio in this folder:

c:\document and settings\username\cookies

example:

username@activation.roxio[1].txt

username@registration.roxio[1].txt

username@www.roxio[1].txt

username@www.sonic[2].txt

Then use a registry cleaner to remove any entries that may still exist. RegSeeker works well and it's free. It has a function to search for a string like 'Roxio'. Remove any entries that refer to Roxio or Sonic. BE CAREFUL! Removing other entries could seriously affect how Windows runs.

When finished, REBOOT the computer

Make sure you have ALL windows updates and the latest DirectX (oct2006). Do you have a video card that FULLY supports DirectX 9? Update the video card drivers.

Reboot and reinstall

Hi

Many thanks to all who replied to me. I do have all Windows updates. Not sure about the video card support Direct X 9. How can I find this information?

Thanks again.

On the taskbar at the bottom of your screen, click Start, and then click Run.

In the Run dialog box, type dxdiag then click OK.

A dialog box displays the version that you are running.

Archived