• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
Jinker

Roxio Genie Disc Cleaner

Question

I've just received an email offering me a good deal on Creator NXT 7.

I could use the Roxio Genie Disc Cleaner if it does what they say it does, namely identifies duplicated files on a hard drive for deletion as required.
Has anybody tried this utility out and what are your thoughts?

5 answers to this question

Hi Jinker,

I tried the Roxio Genie Duplicates Finder.   It's not the sort of utility I would expect to find in an optical media creation suite, and there are no instructions for use available so you have to follow your nose and hope you get it right.   

I certainly wouldn't buy a $130 or $100 suite to get this little utility.  I don't think I would use it again.

Regards, Brendon

7 hours ago, Brendon said:

toHi Jinker,

I tried the Roxio Genie Duplicates Finder.   It's not the sort of utility I would expect to find in an optical media creation suite, and there are no instructions for use available so you have to follow your nose and hope you get it right.   

I certainly wouldn't buy a $130 or $100 suite to get this little utility.  I don't think I would use it again.

Regards, Brendon

Hi Brendon.

Thanks for replying.  Its what I thought to be honest. As you say; its odd they've included a duplicate file finder.
The suite is on offer to me for £39.99 which is a good deal taking into consideration its normal price.
I suspect there might be a new version in the offing and as I already have Nero 2020, plus older versions of Creator I'll hang on to the money I think.
I've been a bit crazy on my backup filing system and have ended up with half a dozen or more of the same files in different folders on a hard drive and need something that will allow me to delete stuff but without having to click on every file to do so (thousands).
I'm hoping to find something that will discover all the duplicates but only keep one master file, deleting the rest when I'm happy to press go.

If anybody out there has any ideas please give me a shout.

Edited by Jinker

2 hours ago, Jinker said:

Hi Brendon.

Thanks for replying.  Its what I thought to be honest. As you say; its odd they've included a duplicate file finder.
The suite is on offer to me for £39.99 which is a good deal taking into consideration its normal price.
I suspect there might be a new version in the offing and as I already have Nero 2020, plus older versions of Creator I'll hang on to the money I think.
I've been a bit crazy on my backup filing system and have ended up with half a dozen or more of the same files in different folders on a hard drive and need something that will allow me to delete stuff but without having to click on every file to do so (thousands).
I'm hoping to find something that will discover all the duplicates but only keep one master file, deleting the rest when I'm happy to press go.

If anybody out there has any ideas please give me a shout.

Do a google search for "free duplicate file finders" and you will get lots of hits.

Hi again Jinker,

We were hoping Roxio might release a new version of Creator around September/October last year as usual, but they didn't do a 2019 version.

In the Genie Duplicates Finder you need to tick the box of every file you want to delete.   Your suggestion of 'click to keep' would be an improvement.   I haven't tried to see if Ctrl-A  would tick all the boxes, since NXT is on a different machine.

On 7/8/2020 at 11:50 PM, Brendon said:

Hi again Jinker,

We were hoping Roxio might release a new version of Creator around September/October last year as usual, but they didn't do a 2019 version.

In the Genie Duplicates Finder you need to tick the box of every file you want to delete.   Your suggestion of 'click to keep' would be an improvement.   I haven't tried to see if Ctrl-A  would tick all the boxes, since NXT is on a different machine.

Hi Brendon

I've bought every version of EMC from way back when but skipped the last one because there didn't seem to be a lot different.
I'm hoping they come up with something new in a 2020 version even if its a more up to date Corel programme.
I can't see what much else they can do with a burning suite so it has to be the add on programmes that add the value.

AS well as EMC I've always bought Nero as well and all they seem to have done over the past few years is take stuff away. (dumbed down version)
I've asked for a way to include subtitles in video and its been under consideration for years and years. I don't think I'll see that.
There are other programmes to use of course but that makes their decision even more strange. How hard can it be?
I'm partially deaf and when I create videos I like to add one or two lines of text for my own benefit really.  I live in hope.