Sign in to follow this  
ray12

UDF versus Joilet and Roxio's bridge setup

Question

Hello, I have been using Roxio2012 for quite some time, but I got a little confused because I had a CD mp3 disc that showed a UDF format in properties that works in my CD car player and I knew I burned the mp3 disc in Roxio. Yet when I used another program that just had UDF as default, it didn't work.  I had to set it to Joliet (CDFS) for it to work. Then I looked into Roxio's setup, I noticed that it has UDF as file system with a Joliet bridge. How does this bridge system work to enable it to work in my car, even though it shows UDF? I haven't been burning any discs for quite some time but when I burned the disc and noticed the distinction, I just wondered because I got so confused.  I noticed in roxio you actually can just have it set to joliet with a joliet bridge or UDF with a UDF bridge and vice versa. How do all these alternatives work and their advantages? I noticed that Roxio 2012 only goes to UDF102, whereas other burners go to UDF 2.60. I would have to update Roxio to take advantage of UDF 2.6 but then I don't even understand the reason to use 2.6. Subsequent Roxio 2012 versions just kept getting bulkier and bulkier, where 2012 interface is just about right where you can quickly access other programs by making shortcuts, rather that loading the whole program to access a subprogram. Thanks for taking the time to read this, if you got this far..

1 answer to this question

Hello Ray12,

Firstly, may I say that I still consider Creator 2012 the last, best Creator that Roxio put out.  I still use C2012's Creator classic in both Windows 7 and Windows 10 because I can, and because I think that the software went downhill after 2012 - getting bigger but doing less.

Now a brief mention of some optical disc formats.   Standards exist (in the beginning) so everyone is pointing in the same direction.  That lasts for a very short time, before every man and his dog starts inventing their own standards and once more we're pointing every which way!      Microsoft developed an Image Mastering API called IMAPI, which supports three of those standards for optical disc writing: ISO 9660Joliet,  and Universal Disc Format or UDF.

An optical disc has a HEADER area and a DATA area.    The files live in the Data area, and indexes live in the Header.   Happily, you can put several different indexes up the front so you can access those files using ISO 9660, Joliet, or UDF,  thus bridging these different file systems.   This way, if you write a disc in the original ISO 9660 but your player software expects to see Joliet, you can include a Joliet index and play your files.   It's how you can play one type of disc when your car expects a different sort.

Now, as to the advantages/disadvantages of those various standards?    Sorry, that's outside of my field.   You would really need a free grey rainy afternoon, a good printer and Internet connection,  lots of coffee, and much discussion with Mr.Google for that.   Remember also that the standards are constantly updating and evolving too, so the deeper you look the more branches you will see on the tree.

I hope this helps your understanding.   If it leaves you with important questions, please ask them and I'll try to answer.

Brendon